Diabetes?

Options
I am 35 and was diagnosed with type 2 about 5 years ago. I haven't always done the best at taking care of myself, but I have decided to really get it together because i've had some close calls. Diet is my main problem! I stopped eating dairy products at the first of the year and found out they were the cause of my digestive problems, and have dropped about 15 pounds. But, should i even eat a half portion of whole wheat pasta, my blood sugar goes thru the roof and I feel awful! Am I doomed to be stuck with trying to find grains and veggies to eat at every meal? I don't tolerate meat well...ground turkey and regular chicken seem to be the extent of what I can handle. Do you ever feel like you're going crazy with this? I know I do. Thanks for letting me vent. :angry:

Replies

• DaynaMattson
    Options
    I am a type I diabetic, and have been so for 11 years now...it is a definite struggle daily and I completely understand where you are. It stinks to think that you have to be so restrictive with the foods you choose...I pretty much eat whatever I feel like and rely heavily on exercise to help manage my Bg, along with insulin of course. It sounds like you have alot of foods that you can't have because they don't agree with you....but have you tried utilizing exercise to help manage your sugar after a meal like pasta? The nice thing about that is it can reduce your blood sugar for up to 24 hours post-exercise (cardio). I notice a night and day ddifference between my sugar levels on the days I exercise and the days I don't...
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    I was using exercise and saw a change, I mean blood sugar was definitely lower. I still have the huge spikes if I try to eat a pasta or even a piece of chocolate! I think i'm feeling extra sorry for myself because I had a small surgery on Monday, and have been stuck in the house and i'm going a little stir crazy : ) I don't want to overindulge, and for me, I know the food thing is mental- but man I want some comfort food...and I can't so it drives me crazy.
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    I recently completed a nutrition class and we talked a lot about diabetes and controlling blood sugar levels. When you eat the pasta that makes your blood sugar go crazy are you eating it with a protein? The one thing I learned was that you must eat adequate protein to stabilize your blood sugar and slow down digestion or your sugar will skyrocket then crash.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm T2 diabetic, and most of my family is as well. Personally I know I brought mine upon myself, but that's a different story.
    When I was pregnant with my DD, I was able to maintain an hA1c of 5.5! Before conceiving I was well above 10. It was a huge achievement, and I became my doctor's poster child.
    Anyway...

Exercise is going to be a huge help. Also breaking down 3 large meals into 6 small meals (or 3 medium meals and 3 snacks), is going to help your sugar stabilize. The idea is to keep it working around the clock. Diabetes is a metabolic disease. Get your metabolism kicking, and your numbers should start to cooperate. Potatoes, pasta, and rice always spike my sugar, but I don't let it stop me from enjoying them.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Thank you. I know I brought mine upon myself- I wish I'd had a better teacher when I was growing up but what can you do? I usually do pasta with chicken (what a surprise!) My A1c was an 11, but now down to 5.9-lowest ever (quite an accomplishment on my part :bigsmile: ) I am afraid of failing and making that one bad decision that will really screw me up. My father had both of his legs amputated due to the disease, and passed away soon after his last operation, but I always seem to associate diabetes with pain and death. I want to lose this weight, get off the meds and be an active member of society! Today we have yucky weather and i'm just feeling down. I don't want to fall off the wagon, I take too long to try and get back on, lol. The wagon may not come back for me!