Pole Dancing for Exercise

Options
Just wondering if anyone out there does pole dancing as exercise? I am wondering how hard it is. What types of moves did you start out with. I would like to try it but I'm about 100 lbs over weight, any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I take the classes and absolutely love them!!!! They start out with stuff you are capable of doing and its fun, empowering and you feel sexy which makes me actually want to do it. It's hard to find a workout that you are eager to go to, but this is one that I am always looking forward to. If you are too worried about the extra weight don't be, it just means you will be that much stronger in the end. You will slowly build muscle which is great because the more muscle you have the greater your calorie burn will be. But if it is still too daunting try a chair class, most places that offer pole seem to offer the chair classes to. Good luck and I hope you do find it in you to try it out.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'll need videos to tell for sure :wink:
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am on my second groupon for classes. It is a fun activity and a great work out. The environment is positive and woman-friendly. You do a lot of work on your abs and legs to stay in the air, which is exactly what I need!

I say go for it, sister!
  • BeyFit805
    BeyFit805 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I took classes for awhile and I loved it. Although it was a ton of fun and I gained upper body/core strength, I don't think it was enough activity to be considered an actual workout IMO (when you're in the beginner stages). I think it's something that i would do in addition to other exercise. Another thing is the more advanced you get, the more you are required to support all of your weight with your upper body (especially once you start climbing). Give it a try, it really is a blast!!!
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I'll need videos to tell for sure :wink:
    Haha! Only you....
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be great exercize. I always visualize the pole falling out of the ceiling and me breaking my teeth like those funny videos....Good luck, you're brave!!!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    alternativefitness.ca (it's a pole dancing fitness club from montreal) proves that they exist... don't know if they are in the states though
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I poledance with my boyfriend
  • maisim
    maisim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi - i have just started Pole dancing as an added thing to my exercise routine - It is fun and I definately work up a sweat and I can definately feel it up to two days later in my arms etc. Our class also incorporates cardio, and strength. Keep in mind you will have to wear quite short shorts to be able to use your thighs to grip to the pole. So if you dont mind the odd bruise getting dizzy and wearing skimpy shorts its really fun.:happy:
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Funniest line from "Stupid Crazy Love"
    "The battle of the sexes if over. We won the moment women started doing pole dancing for exercise."
    :laugh: :smokin: :bigsmile: :huh:
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I did pole dancing for over 6 months, it was the best excersize I have ever done. It was very simple to learn I went to group classes, then continued training on my own. If you start with the basics its as easy as learning anything else. Awesome strength training... I went from being weak as a feather to being able to climb stuff and "carry" my entire body weight with just my legs, or jsut my arms.. definitely recommend this as a work out! I miss it so much, wish I still had my pole :(
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I looooove pole classes. I can't wait until I can pick them up again.

Pole is almost all arms and ab strength. You can get your heart rate up sometimes, but it's not a super intense workout unless you're very experienced. They usually start you with some simple spins, learning how to walk, some basic floor work, and maybe climbing. Most poles are rated for at least 300lbs, so weight isn't really an issue for more people.

More than anything, it made me comfortable with my body, which is so important if you're on a weight loss journey.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    favorite new old move from really old Charlie's Angels show: figure 8s. Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Thrust and circle left hipbone forward, curve outward and back to center. Thrust and circle right hipbone forward, curve outward and back to center. Repeat for one-several minutes. Doesn't burn too many calories but it loosens up the big muscles, and you don't need a pole to do it! I think Farrah Fawcett tried to teach it to Bosley.
  • MustangSally74
    MustangSally74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I poledance with my boyfriend

Good Response! :wink:
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    One thing that kind of irritated me about this was a local (Las Vegas) "dance" studio that offered pole dancing classes for little girls. This "teacher" was dancing on the pole and turning upside down like a stripper. Any father that allows their daughter to be signed up for that class should be beaten.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind you will have to wear quite short shorts to be able to use your thighs to grip to the pole. So if you dont mind the odd bruise getting dizzy and wearing skimpy shorts its really fun.

I hate the short shorts. I finally wore a pair and I felt like my *kitten* was hanging out. I felt bad for the woman on the pole behind me.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    PICS!!!!! :happy: :tongue: :wink: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • award621
    award621 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my gym membership and joined a pole studio. Not only does the studio have pole class but also Zumba, Chair Dance, Pole Power (strength training), belly dancing and a boot camp. I have been going for about a month and I LOVE it. I work just as hard as I did in the gym and sweat just as much. But I have fund doing it!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I would sign up for a class like this in a heartbeat. The closest one to me that I know of is 40 mins away though.