if eating under 1200cals is so bad.......

Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Michelle and i was reading everybody's post, i didn't even know they were here, i am new to this site, and i was wondering why your thoughts on eating your exercise calories are so bad ? Just wondering your opinion on this. i eat them all the time because i struggle with such hunger, and im always looking for ways to eat more, eating less at certain meals eating things with little calories you name it, iv talked to trainers at the gym and they said if that's what i need to do that is was just simple math burn more than you take in. so if im burning more than im taking in after eating the excersise calories why is that bad?? Please let me know your opinion, im just trying to get all the input i can on so many questions iv been having. Been there, done it all, just curious on peoples opinions. I know everyone's body is different, so im seeking different stories. Thanks for sharing. Michelle

Welcome Michelle,

I am someone who eats all their exercise calories back. I want to lose fat .... not muscle. Very large calorie deficits (not eating exercise calories back) will cause your body to burn both fat AND muscle.

The "controversy" (IMO) surrounding this subject is that some people gain weight when they eat their calories back. This could be due to a number of factors. Machine & MFP grossly over estimate calorie burns. A heart rate monitor will be more accurate. Also, "activity level" is really a range. Someone who set this too high in the beginning .... is already eating some of their exercise calories back.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it has been said, but maybe you are eating back too many of your exercise calories? You look well fit in that dress, so I wouldn't be too worried!
  • Delovelybella87
    Options
    If anyone is seeking motivational pals feel free to add me. :happy:
  • vjochum
    vjochum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can tell you why. 1200 calories is not enough for you. I had the same problem. My doctor KEPT telling me I had to do 1500 at least or my body would never lose weight. I didn't believe her because my "wrong" thinking was telling me that fewer calories should make me lose faster. THAT IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! I finally decided to trust her, and I pumpd my calories up to 1500 and 1600, THEN I began losing weight.:flowerforyou:
  • vjochum
    vjochum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That is bad advice!
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i think this whole "starvation" things a load of bs. when i was eating crap, i would easily 2000 calories a day on two meals. now that i cut out grains and boxed stuff and sugar, i'm eating TWICE as much each day and some days i barely make it to 1000-1200. so if being so stuffed i can barely move from meat, veggies, fruit, and some dairy, and i'm still losing weight, i'll gladly "starve". i believe its all what you put in your body, not necessarily how MUCH.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    They're getting QUICK results, not LONG TERM results ;) You're losing weight in a more sustainable fashion. Trust me, the people dropping below 1200 calories often WILL have difficulty maintaining their results.
  • firstsip
    Options
    i think this whole "starvation" things a load of bs. when i was eating crap, i would easily 2000 calories a day on two meals. now that i cut out grains and boxed stuff and sugar, i'm eating TWICE as much each day and some days i barely make it to 1000-1200. so if being so stuffed i can barely move from meat, veggies, fruit, and some dairy, and i'm still losing weight, i'll gladly "starve". i believe its all what you put in your body, not necessarily how MUCH.

You're probably stuffed because you eat so much sodium :D
  • Delovelybella87
    Options
    Sometimes I feel it's just all about balanced meals not calorie intake, staying away from processed foods and bad fats key word bad fats is the key to success in getting into shape and feeling healthy.

There is a saying it takes fat to burn fat.
  • firstsip
    Options
    You have the possibility of your body going into starvation mode if you break under 1200 calories. Generally speaking, there isn't anything else bad about it, unless you're getting bad nutrition, or feel like you're starving yourself. You don't have to ride your calorie number all the time. You can eat less if you want to.

IMO the concept of "eating back exercise calories" sounds more like an excuse to eat more than a plan to lose weight. I'm sure it works, it just sounds odd to me.

Wrong answer..(at least the first part of this ) .I've been eating below 1200 since I started in January and I'm losing about 3 lbs a week. But I don't eat junk or processed foods for that matter.

...You had more than 100 lbs to lose. That's always different than people who have less weight to lose.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    This topic has some horrible advice, you should be netting above 1200 calories (Or even to your BMR which is probably MORE than 1200 calories) in order to sustain a healthy eating lifestyle (healthy and eating together.. your just wrong!)..
    Sure people eating under 1200 will see weight loss, I could tell you to lose weight go have shakes for meals and eat lettuce, you will lose weight.. you won't keep it off but you will lose for a bit, then plateau and be stuck.. If you have alot of weight to lose you can do it for a certain amount of time.

If your netting under 1200 calories and your working out and losing weight, you can't tell me your not losing muscle even if your eating chicken on a stick all day.. your still losing lean mass cause your not getting nutrition you need. If your losing more than 2 lbs a week, ya good luck keeping that off when you decide to eat again.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • firstsip
    Options
    Lol, it amazes me how people cut out junk and go, "It's hard for me to reach 700 calories" but then ALSO admit they cut out grains and complex carbs. Unless you have a gluten intolerance or are THAT serious about paleo, you can HAVE complex carbs which fuel you, don't mess with insulin, and help you reach healthy calorie goals. Lol, absolutely amazing, "I'm not grains, no processed food"... one of these things is not like the other.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    MFP sets 1200 as the lower limit on suggested calories. If you are 1 foot 2 and 13 pounds naturally, you're likely to need significantly less than 1200 calories day. However, due to LEGAL considerations, MFP sets 1200 as the lower limit to prevent being SUED over suggesting people go anorexic to achieve their weight loss goals.

Anyone under super restrictive diets will achieve rather rapid weight loss. No one left Holocaust Concentration Camps obese. These people that eat so significantly low will eventually regain most of the weight as they have done nothing to figure out how to eat a health, balanced lifestyle.

I know there will ALWAYS be the crazy folks that chime in with "All I eat is iceberg lettuce with lemon and I am healthy as a horse!" and boast their 500kcal diets as the norm. But remember, sites like this have a SIGNIFICANTLY increased chance of congregating people with eating disorders (diagnosed or otherwise).

There have been many studies to show the adverse effects of excessive caloric restrictive diets both on long term metabolism and psychology. I would try to dig them up, but simply put, I do not care enough for these people to provide them with the data. As cruel as that sounds. I am sure they don't care enough for me either so all is good lol.

In the end, weight loss is supposed to be slow and managed. Someone that can lose weight while maintaining CONTROL will have far superior long term results than the classic crash and burn diet plan.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Remember: Health isn't just about losing weight.
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lol, it amazes me how people cut out junk and go, "It's hard for me to reach 700 calories" but then ALSO admit they cut out grains and complex carbs. Unless you have a gluten intolerance or are THAT serious about paleo, you can HAVE complex carbs which fuel you, don't mess with insulin, and help you reach healthy calorie goals. Lol, absolutely amazing, "I'm not grains, no processed food"... one of these things is not like the other.

I didn't realize I had issues with these foods UNTIL I cut them out.. If they make me feel bad and cause me, why on earth should I keep them in my diet?

It amazes me that people get SO worked up over others eating habits. lol What works for one doesn't work for everyone. If it did, no one would have trouble losing weight, and no one would be overweight.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Don't be too disheartened. When you start an intense exercise program like insanity you will often see a weight gain initially because you will retain a lot more water until your body adjusts. Keep at it and you will see the pounds start dropping.

1200 calories is a number that has been demonised as the number not to cross below. This is on the basis that people have somehow deemed this number to be the minimum requirements your body needs on a day to day basis, however people have entirely different basal metabolic rates

For example based on the BMR calculator on this site:
    My BMR is 1259
    My boyfriend's BMR is 1734
    My mum's BMR is 1372

Clearly for me to eat 1200 calories a day would be OK but at 1200 calories my boyfriend would be eating nearly 600 calories less than his body needs for its basic functions. For him 1800 calories would be the number not to drop under. Work with your own BMR. If you occasionally drop below this your body will not shut down and 'starve' as some people will have you believe but you should not consistently aim below this number as your metabolism will eventually start to slow down and then it will become much harder to lose weight. This is due to the fact that if you feed your body only 800 calories and your metabolism adapts to this low number when you do eat more your body will work to conserve it i.e store it as fat in preparation for when calories drop back down. This is what is really meant by starvation mode.

Ideally you want to aim for your daily calories to be somewhere in between your BMR and Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is calculated by multiplying your BMR calories by your activity level (Multiply by 1.2 for sedentary, 1.375 lightly active, 1.55 moderately active, 1.725 very active or 1.9 extremely active)

My TDEE is 2072. I therefore work on an 1800 calorie intake. This factors in a 250 calorie deficit which equates to about 0.5lbs per week.

It is difficult to consistently eat less than 1200 cals and provided your body with the nutrients it needs. The people doing this may lose weight but they will likely feel like crap most of the time.

I agree 120% with the above comment. Great advice and everyone should read it because most people don't know what BMR or TDEE even is. They think just because MFP sets the goal for them that it MUST be correct.
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think you need to focus on what works for you and what you are comfortable with and let go of what other people on MFP are doing and experiencing.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    just stick with it...i dont always net 1200 but i usually come pretty close. the weight hasnt been melting off me, i've been working on it since feb, but i'm finally almost at my goal. i weigh in once a month and usually lose 3-5 lbs a month. just stick with it the healthy way.

edit-make sure you're doing LOTS of cardio! burn at least 500 calories (about 50 mins according to my HRM).