Sugar Intake.

Options
Yesterday I went over my sugar intake by 52 however the majority of my sugar intake came from fruit and honey. Is this a massive problem and should I adjust my diet or am I concerned over nothing?
(I know there have been many posts like this but they normally turn into a long squabble between posters and I get confused)

Replies

• imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I go over in sugar every day...like you it is from fruit. I have had no issues with loosing and stay within my calorie goals so I would not worry about it if i were you! I also always go over in protein and fiber.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Not to deter from the OP, but could you check out my diary and see if my sugar is too high? It is almost all from fruits and such...
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I know some people will freak out about this, but I feel if your sugar is coming from whole foods there's no problem. If, however, it were coming from candy, then you would have a problem. Keep eating your fruit! :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I quit tracking sugar. You can still eat sugar and lose weight. If it's coming from fruit, then you are also getting fiber and vitamins as well.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You will occasionally go over on one thing or another...as long as you are still within your calorie intake you should be ok, but try to stick to natural sugars.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    if you are diabetic or have a family history of diabetes then I say that you have reason to be concerned. If not, then don't worry too much about it.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I go over sugar almost everyday lol.

I wouldn't mind it. watch how much you are having, still... just to be aware. Fruit is okay, a few a day is fine... but if you are only eating fruits and veggies you are missing out on protien and good fats. Make sure to add some peanut butter, avacados, eggs, chicken, protien and fats to go with the sugars.

Better than candy, you're right! :)
  • brandypinky22
    brandypinky22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know some people will freak out about this, but I feel if your sugar is coming from whole foods there's no problem. If, however, it were coming from candy, then you would have a problem. Keep eating your fruit! :smile:

This. When I first started tracking on here I freaked out because I was concerned at how many grams of sugar I was eating. Then I did some research and I found that most guidelines are referring to added sugars not sugars such as lactose and fructose. Personally I avoid all added sugar, refined sugar, especially white sugar. From doing this I feel great and fruit tastes like dessert to me.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Ignore the fruit sugar is what most people will say. The honey sugar (if it is clover honey, not flower honey, like most is) then try to keep it within limits.
  • Dandawa
    Options
    If your eat a lot of fruit I find that it makes your system spike and you crave more when your levels drop back of eat it with complex carb to help fight that and you may find you crave less sugar.
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree that natural sugar in fruits is not a problem, particularly if you eat it with protein. I generally try to eat a small piece of lean chicken breast with an apple or nectarine or other fruit, or a nonfat plain greek yogurt with blueberries or raspberries. The protein helps lower the glycemic load from the fruit, and thus helps avoid sugar spikes/crashes that can cause hunger and fat storage.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

This. When I first started tracking on here I freaked out because I was concerned at how many grams of sugar I was eating. Then I did some research and I found that most guidelines are referring to added sugars not sugars such as lactose and fructose. Personally I avoid all added sugar, refined sugar, especially white sugar. From doing this I feel great and fruit tastes like dessert to me.

You aren't avoiding "white sugar." Sucrose is in every piece of fruit you eat.
  • benne1992
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar as well for that exact issue. I would subtract the sugar I had from fruits and vegtables from my total and look at that number. Then I realized that I was doing more work for nothing so I stopped. As long as you are getting the sugars from less processed foods and eating more natural I think you are fine.