Gym Question

Options
Yes, I will first consult with my doctor to make sure this is ok...

At the complex I work in there is a gym that I could go to for free. Of course up until now I've had NO desire to go. I have been walking a lot and I've been able to increase my speed from 2 miles a hour to over 4 miles an hour. I've also been doing the JM 30DS.

Now for my question. I am planning on going before work (they have showers) so when I get home I can spend more time with the fam. I planned on doing cardio.. but any other tips or things I should do? They have all kinds of machines. Do I do cardio and arms one day, then cardio and legs...

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
TIA

Replies

• jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you mix it up. This will give your body ample time to rest. So make a schedule, say, I am gonna do Arms one day and cardio the next, then legs another day, and then back and shoulders, then cardio. Once you have a rountine you like by switching things around a few times. you will be set and make sure you mix that routine up a few times so your body doesn't get used to that schedule. The thing about the gym is that you don't want to get bored doing the same thing everyday.

Even with some of the DVD workouts, for example. I don't follow the order they give because I don't like yoga, so why would i spend 90 minutes doing it every week. so I started switching it for things I like, or fridays i usually work from home so I have more time to do a longer workout so i would save my hour cardio for that day instead of the 38 minute ones.

Most importantly your schedule has to fit you for interest and for time. That makes it the most enjoyable. You will want to go and want to do your workout because it is a schedule you set up with YOU in mind. :)

Enjoy the gym! Tia-style!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    mix it up. I'd do 2 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training.
    alternating.

don't do "arms". You need to focus on large groups with compound movements.
    rows, pullups, pressing movements, squats, etc.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything Jeddy said. Strength training would be a good option too. The general rule is that you leave a day in between strength training workouts so that your muscles can repair themselves. And don't be fooled - strength training can be cardio too! When I am lifting my heart rate is always up just like I'm doing cardio.
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi Friend,

I agree with the advice to mix it up. With your free membership, you should receive a free session with a personal trainer (worth it even if you have to pay for it). Have the trainer show you a suitable routine. Make notes so you can do it without the trainer too. If there are early classes, check them out. That's how I got started on being a Silver Sneakers instructor. One of the classes felt more like dancing than exercising and I fell in love with it. And then I found Zumba Gold - which really is dancing, so I'm doing that two days a week, other classes (card
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oops... sent before I meant to... cardio, flexibility, weight training, resistance). Go for it!
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I am gonna do Arms

>having an arm day
    I seriously hope you don't do this