Can anyone suggest a good HRM?

Options
Looking to purchase a HRM. Right now I just use a pedometer on my iPhone and I've found it to be accurate but a PITA to keep on me when I exercise. I'm new to HRMs and just wondering what is a good make and brand? Price is not a concern if under $300.

Thanks!

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you looking only for an HRM, or would a GPS/HRM combo be better? If you run or walk outside that might be very useful.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One with a GPS would be great but I'd consider one without also.

I just want something to accurately calculate calories burned.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    For just counting calories, I'd say a Polar FT60. It's an upgrade over the basic Polar models and includes a fitness test for more accurate calorie burn.

For a GPS, I would pick the Polar RC3 GPS, which is at the top of your budget. I haven't used it, but it's on my want list LOL. The RS300X looks good too, and is slightly less expensive.
  • lmbigsby
    Options
    I just bought one by Bowflex from Big 5 Sporting goods, got a great deal $50 regular $130. My biggest recommendation is to make sure you get one with a chest strap as well. The ones that are just a watch aren't very accurate and the Sportline that I had before required you to constantly check your heartrate which was very hard when running.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I really like my Nike+ GPS Sport Watch. The usb connector is built into the band so need for an additional device to sync it. It also recharges the battery using the same usb connector so no need to keep buying batteries.

It was a little bit of a pain to locate a brick and mortar store that carries the Polar Nike+ heart rate sensor but I found one in a running store. They can also be ordered online.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar! It has the chest strap, but it was more accurate than the one I had before without the strap. I bought it at sports authority 3/4 years ago for around $130. My husband has a Timex HRM and it's terrible. The battery dies all the time (mine has never died!!) and he's only had his the last 2years. His strap also gives him issues, but that could just be him.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I like my Polar FT7. It's pretty accurate and has a comfy flexible chest strap. I paid $70 on ebay.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Garmin Edge 500............seriously. :-)
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Whats the difference between the FT4 and the FT60?

Also, this might be a dumb question but can you carry the HRM on you all day and see what you burn just doing things like walking around the store or do they only work during workouts when your heart rate is elevated?
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

Also, this might be a dumb question but can you carry the HRM on you all day and see what you burn just doing things like walking around the store or do they only work during workouts when your heart rate is elevated?

An HRM isn't really meant for all day activity monitoring. You would drain the battery pretty quickly I would think. Something along the lines of a FitBit (which I use), a BodyBug, or even a Nike+ Fuel Band would be better suited for all day activity monitoring.

Personally I recommend the FitBit for all day monitoring. Something for all day use should be rechargeable.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options

Not a dumb question in my book. I wonder about this, too. Is this what people are doing when they log 6 or more hours of exercise, and their status says things like "including house cleaning."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Polar .... only measures workouts. A FitBit is supposed to measure daily stuff.

I have the FT4 ...... I'm not sure about the FT60 ... but when I was shopping for mine I found that the higher end models worked better when you were in close vacinity to other HRMs (no interference).

If you're working out in a gym .... that is going to be more important.
  • kayc6670
    Options
    I also use Fitbit and so far love it and seems to be accurate.....
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Get a FitBit or BodyBugg if you want all day monitoring. An HRM is only going to be accurate for aerobic workouts where your heart rates gets up.

The main difference between the FT4/FT7 and the FT60 is that the FT60 has a fitness test. You can use that to get a more accurate calorie burn. I plan on asking for an FT60 for Christmas.