Do Yoga and Pilates Count?

Options
I busted my bumm (or should I say core) for an hour in Pilates class and I can't seem to find a section in exercise or cardio to get credit for working out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could you count it as 'low impact aerobics'?
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    "Auburn University scientists tracked the calorie burn of 10 men and women while they did various Pilates routines for 40 to 50 minutes. Basic workouts burned 200 calories; intermediate, 292 calories; advanced, 360 calories."

I found this on the Prevention website.

http://www.prevention.com/health/fitness/belly-abs/how-many-calories-burn-during-pilates-/article/5e89d08f88803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/

If it isn't in the collection of exercises in the MFP database you can add it. I'm sure there are others that do Pilates as well. :flowerforyou: I used to and loved it and am trying to get back into it slowly. (Very slowly :laugh: )
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been entering it as yoga
  • skinnyheather
    skinnyheather Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Beginner Pilates is listed under the cardio section. Not sure how accurate the numbers are though...
  • swimlady
    swimlady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. Any help on how to count it would be appreciated.
  • hedkie
    hedkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used this site to calculate calories for intermediate and advanced pilates (they have beginner, too): www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • whitann
    whitann Posts: 11
    Options
    236 calories is what I count it as. I am starting it up again after a year so I know I am burning more calories than I would after 5 months of doing it every week. Everyday your body gets more used to it and it becomes more easier.
  • mbruskotter
    Options
    Thank you all for your input I went ahead and created it as Pilates Moderate for 60 minutes 292 calories. Thanks for siting all sources also.:smile: