I Just Don't Understand Stregth Training!

Options
So from what I'm been reading the idea is to do the same exercises week to week with the goal to increase weight/reps? But... how? When I read this stuff it just isn't making sense! What I do right now is pick an exercise, dead lifts for example, and do 2 sets of 12 with 8lb dumbbells in each hand. I have a list and I just go down the list and do that but obviously it seems that there will be no way for me to increase the weight amount I can handle. Can someone try to explain what I should do in a simple way? My goals are to build up my tiny shoulders and tone my legs. Thank you!

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too! :-)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Have you actually tried using heavier weights? You didn't mention doing it, you just seem to think that you can't for some reason. I really haven't ever heard of anyone that could only deadlift less than 40-50lbs their first time out so you're probably just wasting your time with the 8lb dumbbells. Pick up bigger weights and try it. Or are you saying that you've tried it and you can't do it?
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    8lb dumbbells is not going to do anything for you
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Do a tried and true program

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    NROL4W

When you just pick up some weights and do whatever, that's a condition known as phuck-around-itis, and it will get you nowhere.
  • iluvtrees123
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you need to do fewer reps with more weight, think 6-8 reps.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't understand what's not to understand.

1) lift as much as you can
    2) your body adapts
    3) you can lift more, so you do.
    4) go back to step 2

My guess is that it's still mental for you. You're probably not lifting heavy enough and really challenging. You probably think you are, but you probably haven't really pushed yourself so you probably don't know what you're actually capable of.
  • _granola
    Options
    Do a tried and true program

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts 5x5
    NROL4W

When you just pick up some weights and do whatever, that's a condition known as phuck-around-itis, and it will get you nowhere.

Exactly this. I definitely recommend Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't do the same exact exercises every time, but have a basic rotation.

One way to get stronger is to up your weight every set, and every week or few weeks you'll be moving on to heavier weights.

E.g. squats set 1: 40 lbs; set 2: 50 lbs; set 3: 60 lbs. It's fine to not do as many reps in the last set.

the next week your first set may be 50 lbs.
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    To incrementally add weight you need barbells. They have 2 1/2 lb weights, 5 lb, 10 lb. 25 lb, and 45 lbs, added to a 45 lb olympic bar. You can use one 2 1/2 lb weight on each end to go up 5 lbs. For example, you might start with the 45 lb bar. The next time you would lift 50 lbs - the bar + one 2 1/2 lb weight on each end. The next time you would lift 55 lbs - the bar plus one 5 lb weight on each end, and so on.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I don't understand, if you are doing the exercise with 8lb weights try 10lb weights next time. You just go up. Do you do shoulder presses, lateral raises, bent lateral raises for shoulders? Are you at a gym or just at your house?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    So from what I'm been reading the idea is to do the same exercises week to week with the goal to increase weight/reps? But... how? When I read this stuff it just isn't making sense! What I do right now is pick an exercise, dead lifts for example, and do 2 sets of 12 with 8lb dumbbells in each hand. I have a list and I just go down the list and do that but obviously it seems that there will be no way for me to increase the weight amount I can handle. Can someone try to explain what I should do in a simple way? My goals are to build up my tiny shoulders and tone my legs. Thank you!

Do you workout at a gym? If so, I would suggest paying for a few personal training sessions with a pro so that they can help you work up an effective routine, illustrate proper form, etc... You'd be amazed at what you can learn from an experienced professional.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    How much weight?

I feel a "burn" with my barbiebells, 8 pounds. But today I am not sore at all so i am probably too light. Start off with 10? 12? 15?
  • melb2003
    Options
    bump
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    8lb dumbbells is not going to do anything for you

Before I got back into free weights I did bodypump/express pump etc classes with 8 pound dumbells and got pretty toned, I was in much better shape then than I am now (but was also doing a good amount of running).
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    It depends on the programme you have. Some trainers give you lower weight sets but with high reps so maybe 3 sets of 5kg x 15-20 reps. Others recommend lower reps like i do at as heavy as i can possibly lift x 8 -10 reps. Either way once your body gets used to that weight/ rep combination you will begin to find it easier and THEN you need to switch up the weight. It should NEVER be easy. Which ever way you do it you should always be struggling to complete those last two reps. If youre not struggling you need to up the weight
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone has their own way but this is how it was explained to me: When you get to a weight where you feel failure (you can't go any further) after 8-12 reps, you're using the right weight. After a couple of weeks at the same weight, getting to 12 reps, add another set. A couple of weeks later, add a 3rd set. After that, you can up the weight a bit (2-2.5 pounds) and go back to doing 1 set of 8-12 to failure the build back up to 3 sets etc etc.
  • Captain_RG
    Captain_RG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I usually push myself by adding the next weight up on my next set and lower the reps slightly.

Example:
    1st set 20 lbs 15 reps
    2nd set 25 lbs 12-15 reps
    3rd set 30 lbs 10-12 reps

Whatever my body can handle. Once I can go beyond those reps, I start off heavier.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I don't do the same exact exercises every time, but have a basic rotation.

One way to get stronger is to up your weight every set, and every week or few weeks you'll be moving on to heavier weights.

E.g. squats set 1: 40 lbs; set 2: 50 lbs; set 3: 60 lbs. It's fine to not do as many reps in the last set.

the next week your first set may be 50 lbs.

This is what I do, only reverse :happy:
    set 1: 60lbs set 2: 50 lbs set 3: 40 lbs then the following week, set 1 would be 70 lbs
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt and you will become stronger