Hello from Texas!

Options
Hey guys, so this is kinda weird, I've never made friends online...anyway, I'm in to my 3rd day here. been walking with a buddy for abour 3 months now, but I've only gained weight. ughhh She keeps telling me that I'm not going to loose until I start counting cals, so here I am. i was actually shocked at how many caloroes I consume in a day...and the first day I started logging wasn't a 'bad day' either. whew! So here it goes, the calorie count is on.

Replies

• breddell
    Options
    Hey guys, so this is kinda weird, I've never made friends online...anyway, I'm in to my 3rd day here. been walking with a buddy for abour 3 months now, but I've only gained weight. ughhh She keeps telling me that I'm not going to loose until I start counting cals, so here I am. i was actually shocked at how many caloroes I consume in a day...and the first day I started logging wasn't a 'bad day' either. whew! So here it goes, the calorie count is on.
  • littlespoon
    Options
    Hello, I feel the same way...so I havent posted yet either! i live in australia and I have been doing this for about a month, and was also surprised at the calories I was consuming. I started going to the gym about 8 months ago, and couldnt figure out why I was making so little progress. But now that I have changed what I am eating (I have some good suggestions if anyone is interested) I struggle to get to 1200 a day!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Welcome to both of you!! Counting calories really helps you to be mindful of what you are eating. When I first started I was curious about how much I had been eating so I filled in a couple " average" days to see ( including alcohol). I was consuming close to 3,000 calories a day!:grumble:
    And that wasn't even on a real pig out day. I cant believe that I have only gained 15 pounds or so over the last 6 years. I should have been gaining closer to 20 or 30 pounds a year!!.

You will get great advice and support here. I know I have
  • breddell
    Options
    You're shy too...:smile:

You struggle to get to 1200 a day?!! That's amazing! Yes, I am VERY interested!

I've been pretty discouraged that I have only digressed, but now that I understand why I'm feeling pretty hopeful. I logged all my food and drink items in on that first day and was shocked at the calories I had consumed (I'm too embarassed to admit how many cals)...most of it in sodas! sick So now I'm just paying attention and making very deliberate choices.

Thanks for the encouragement denmother!
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Littlspoon, good to see someone else from Aus! And I am definitely interested in your good sugestions! g
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Breddell, never be embarrassed on this site. We've all been there. We've all eaten a pound of calories in a day. Relax with the idea that no one can find out who you are, if you still feel embarrassed.

I've never understood how people could have a hard time eating all 1200 calories. I've tried most the suggestions - eat through-out the day, eat more vegetables than a rabbit, and still I manage to have a hard time getting it under 2000 a day. I make up for it in exercise.

By the way, many people lose weight by just cutting out the caloric drinks...
  • EFS1
    EFS1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi There.. Some tips from a recovering soda-holitc. I switched to flavored seltzer water. Check the label before you buy, but most of them have "nothing" in them: 100% carbonated water and natural flavor. It is no Sunkist orange soda or shasta, but they did the trick for me (after I got used to them). Also, many times hunger cravings are often actually thirst disguised. I know it is tough (I hate it) but drinking your 8 glasses of H20 per day (more if you can) will really help keep you full. Carrot and celery sticks are a good munchy/snack too. Being a guy, I try to keep my cal intake at 2000 per day, but it is tough! When possible, I log a meal right after I eat it or just before, that motivates me to either hit the gym, go for a run, and/or eat smaller portions. Immediately logging the food really seems to help me. Good Luck to All! E
  • helton1515
    Options
    what part of texas?

im near Houston :)
  • breddell
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! i log before and right after meals too. It helps me stay conscientious. I've been off of sodas for 2 days now and its tough. (sometimes I cheat and cave) Not doing so good on my water intake...something I'm still working on. I also have a sweet tooth the size of Tejas and I am absolutley in love with Mexican food. (I love all the wrong things) I've actually surprised myself at how well I have done elimnating the cookies and pastries (I work at a church , so this is really hard) I just bring fruit and nibble on that instead. However I found myself running on Saturday night just so I could have a taco...tacos have NEVER tasted so good. he he he So far so good though. To get where I want to be, I have to keep my cals at or under 1200. I can only do it with excersize though, otherwise I'm hitting 1400 or 1500, which is nothing compared to what I was taking in before I started keeping track of this...

I'm origionally form the DFW metroplex. My husbabnd and I moved our family to Lubbock about 3.5 years ago. I have friends from Houston...another great city!
  • courtneycatt
    courtneycatt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey Texas Girls!! I am orginally from Abilene-more central that DFW or Houston.
    Anyway I wanted to say that counting cals is very important, it sucks because if you dont get enough then you dont lose and if you get to many than you gain!!
    Hang in there--it will get easier and then the lbs will drop off each week! I have been steady to lose about 1 pound a week stick with it and you will too!:bigsmile:
  • jeglosson
    Options
    I know what you mean about the pastires and Mexican food! I too am in Texas and it is so hard not to walk into my favorite TexMex restaurant everytime I get that craving.... I am also a huge pastry-a-holic! I volunteer at our church and I, too, find that is the place I have the most difficulty resisting the FREE donuts!!!

We can overcome.... and we will get to our goal!

Elizabeth
  • ambieloo2
    Options
    Hello! I'm on my second day and I too was stunned by the amount of calories I ate my first day! No wonder I've gained weight! I can't believe I was so clueless all this time. I thought I was pretty good.
    I'm in Los Angeles and totally understand the Mexican food craving issue. My favorite taqueria is right down the street and the burritos and tacos are missing me!

Cheers,
    Amber
  • EFS1
    EFS1 Posts: 12
    Options
    The TexMex (if you like to or do cook at home) can be altered for "healthy" eating. Being a HUGE fan of tacos, burritos, enchiladas... it was important to me that I not deny myself these foods. Adding flax seed and wheat germ (does not alter taste) using low fat cheese/sour cream and carb-lite tortillas can really help too. Me and my wife have come up with some recipes (TexMex and otherwise) that have worked out for us by altering or subbing ingredients. Good Luck!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oooh, all this talk about the South makes me miss it! And the food!:sad:

I grew up in Arlington, TX and then lived in The Woodlands for a while.:bigsmile:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome.
    I live in South Arkansas. I spent a good bit of time in the Huston area as a child visiting with my grandparents.
    I also love TexMex food. :flowerforyou:
  • littlespoon
    Options
    You're shy too...:smile:

You struggle to get to 1200 a day?!! That's amazing! Yes, I am VERY interested!

I've been pretty discouraged that I have only digressed, but now that I understand why I'm feeling pretty hopeful. I logged all my food and drink items in on that first day and was shocked at the calories I had consumed (I'm too embarassed to admit how many cals)...most of it in sodas! sick So now I'm just paying attention and making very deliberate choices.

Thanks for the encouragement denmother!

Ok, well the thing that I eat most of my lunches and dinners is wraps. My partner makes them for me (i'l so lucky) and because we have such variety, we never get tired of them. I tried to find the lowest cal (and everything) wraps, and we have either a piece of crumbed fish (store bought in a box), ham or chicken or beef in them. The salad includes avocado (10gm) tomato (as much as you like) cheese (cut thinly)(20g), lettuce, and egg (about half). Now if you buy the smaller size wraps also, then you can only fit about 100g chicken or beef in them (which is perfect serving size). We have found some really low in calories and fat (and everything) sauces such as dijoinnaise, light sour cream (1 teaspoon), or vegetable spread (made by IXL). These are absolutely delicious and SO filling. And for some reason they never seem to be so savoury that you crave something sweet afterwards. To give you an idea of what they are worth, a fish wrap with vegetable spread and 1 teaspoon of sour cream (and all the veges) is (added up from my daily sheet) 342 calories, 40 carbs, 13 fat and 16 protein.

Hope someone else finds it yum!!!
  • littlespoon
    Options
    Sorry sorry! I meant 20g of chicken or beef, not 100g!

I dont have the soda problem though. My partner drinks Pepsi but the ones with sugar are too sweet for me generally. My weakness is Pepsi Max!
  • littlespoon
    Options
    Littlspoon, good to see someone else from Aus! And I am definitely interested in your good sugestions! g

Hi! I'm in Perth, where are you?

Well apart from my wraps suggestion (which is my staple), I also love Bulla light ice creams, they are on a stick, so you are only having that portion size, and they are the perfect size to make you enjoy them!

Nestle diet yoghurt is yummy too (yellow tub), but if you really want a treat, then try the Yoplait cheesecake flavour yoghurt (preferably the one in the green tub, as its lighter than the one in the blue tub. It really tastes like cheesecake!
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oops, I lost this thread and didn't respond to you! Sorry!

I am in Adelaide and will definitely look for the cheesecake yogurt! yum! I also really like the diet Nestle one as it tastes pretty thick and creamy for diet! And wraps are my work lunch staple as well- so easy to do and fresh to put together once at work.
  • salterdsalter2
    Options
    Hey! I am from Texas too!! Welcome! I was a soda freak too and I was so shocked how many calories they have. So, I changed over to Dier Dr Pepper which is zero calories. It took some getting use to but now I love them. Try a diet one and see what you think... Good luck.