Question from beginner runner

Options
I have been "learning" to run and have made pretty good progress. I started only being able to run for about 45 seconds (I'm asthmatic) and am up to about 5 minute intervals and my walking intervals are getting shorter.

I don't use a learn to run program. I don't even have a watch and I don't track my time or distance in any way at this point.

Is it okay to just listen to my body? I push myself, but I don't think I'm pushing myself so hard that I'm going to cause injury and so far I never run two days in a row. I also am really good about stretching.

Any other tips for a beginner runner would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Replies

• nayers86
    Options
    Hi there! Sounds like you are on the right track...you should definitely be listening to your body, but, don't be afraid to set goals for yourself too. This may encourage you to push yourself a bit more. Tell yourself today I'll run for "x" amount of minutes, or "x" distance. I still do this to myself even though I've been running for about 2 years and running long distances. After a while your body adjusts to the challenges you're bringing so don't be afraid to up the ante! Best of luck :)
  • nayers86
    Options
    Hi there! Sounds like you are on the right track...you should definitely be listening to your body, but, don't be afraid to set goals for yourself too. This may encourage you to push yourself a bit more. Tell yourself today I'll run for "x" amount of minutes, or "x" distance. I still do this to myself even though I've been running for about 2 years and running long distances. After a while your body adjusts to the challenges you're bringing so don't be afraid to up the ante! Best of luck :)
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first, congratulations on what you have accomplished so far that's wonderful. I would say get a great pair of shoes. They will make a big difference (they helped me). Also, make sure you're staying hydrated and keep your protein up (try a protein shake after your run).

Keep up the great work!

Carrie
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're doing great! It's definitely fine to just listen to what your body is telling you- in fact, that seems like the best attitude to have (in my opinion). My suggestion? Keep doing what you're doing. Thorough stretching and not overdoing it every single day is key when you're just starting out.

However, there is something to be said about having a watch and a measured route: if you time yourself and figure out how fast you're running and walking in miles/ kilometers per hour, it's easier to log on here and track your calorie burn and progress.

Also, keep yourself in good shoes and plenty of sunscreen. Your feet and face will thank you!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're on the right track. Great work so far! You really can't go wrong just by listening to your body. Getting on a more structured exercise regimen may help you attain your goals a bit faster, but it's definitely not necessary!

The fall is a great time to exercise outside. Consider getting a gps watch (or a trackign program for your cell phone and a armband) so you can track your exact running stats outside. Then you can set goals for yourself, and eventually sign up for a 5k. I use the Nike+ gps watch and it's great for helping to set goals and it has an online trainer app as well.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi there, first, congratulations on what you have accomplished so far that's wonderful. I would say get a great pair of shoes. They will make a big difference (they helped me). Also, make sure you're staying hydrated and keep your protein up (try a protein shake after your run).

Keep up the great work!

Carrie

Thanks! I did get a great pair of shoes when I started after having my walking pattern analyzed by my chiropractor using this special pad that feeds into a computer and then he recommended some types of shoes. they really do make a difference. I drink a lot of water and get quite a bit of protein in my diet but am planning to get some protein powder as well. Thanks to all for your comments!