Coworker Rant! I've GOT to vent.

Options

Replies

• dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't mind those things. It is when ppl heat up their fish and other seafood that just stinks up the kitchen for like 3 days that pisses me off!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH

^^^^ THIS !
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have this problem but with chinese food. I suggest if you're ever tempted, put it into your food diary and see how much it would set you back. i do this and it's never been worth it!

:heart: this idea!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm always that coworker >:)

Today I am bringing in my apricot bourbon bbq port sandwich
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem today at my workplace! Only not to that extreme of having it around daily. It's a newbie's birthday so her boyfriend brought in a dozen donuts for everyone to share (from Dunkin' Donuts, my favorite) and then they all decided to go in together on a celebratory meal from the Mexican place down the road (which is my favorite place to order from when we order in). Needless to say I'm alone in my office while they're in the lunchroom. At least they're not right next to each other!
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    One word of hope for you...eventually you get used to it. I used to crave those foods and the smell would drive me crazy. Eventually the cravings went away and the smell smells gross to me. It smells greasy and processed. I don't miss it at all. People can eat it right in front of me and I could care less. So hang in there. It gets better.
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The woman in the office beneath mine often heats up some sort of curry or Chinese food. I LOVE that kind of food! I had to start eating 1/2 hour earlier, just so that I wouldn't be already hungry once I started to smell that yummy, calorie-laden aroma-fest.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    Any chance you can switch offices? Otherwise, you might try a can of Lysol. :)

I could but the only open office in my department is the one directly next to me. :frown:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I usually smell the office up with steamed broccoli. Mmmm... the smell of fresh steamed broccoli!
  • michelleindeed
    michelleindeed Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I hate when the people from the bank in-store make popcorn in our break room microwave. I swear they burn it every time and it's the worst smell.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    The office i'm in only has 4 people. The women try and eat okay-usually subway or a burrito bowl from Chipotle, nothing I would castigate them for. But the one guy in our office...he's a different story. Arby's, Domino's, Jimmy John's, mexican...I swear, it's insanity! And he's a good Southern boy, so he ALWAYS asks if anyone wants anything. Sometimes it smells so good it's almost sinful! Thankfully, I eat about an hour after he does, so I'm usually not too hungry when all that lovely food comes waltzing in. That, and I've finally figured out how to let myself have those things I crave without wrecking my new habits!

Stay strong my friend!
  • melsmith612
    Options
    I do have to admit that I am, on the rare occassion, that person. Primarily because I love making curry and chili but I try not to bring them in for lunch and save the leftovers for an easy dinner the next day. Sometimes I can't resist though.
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    My friend sits next to a woman that cracks open a can of tuna everyday and MICROWAVES it. Then she sits down next to her and eats it. The entire module wants to kill her.
  • melsmith612
    Options
    The office i'm in only has 4 people. The women try and eat okay-usually subway or a burrito bowl from Chipotle, nothing I would castigate them for. But the one guy in our office...he's a different story. Arby's, Domino's, Jimmy John's, mexican...I swear, it's insanity! And he's a good Southern boy, so he ALWAYS asks if anyone wants anything. Sometimes it smells so good it's almost sinful! Thankfully, I eat about an hour after he does, so I'm usually not too hungry when all that lovely food comes waltzing in. That, and I've finally figured out how to let myself have those things I crave without wrecking my new habits!

Stay strong my friend!

I started eating later too. I typically have a mid-morning snack to keep me until 1pm when almost everyone else in my office has already used the kitchen - that way I don't end up smelling something good half an hour after I've finished eating. Sometimes I have to smell popcorn (our office PROVIDES it as a snack to anyone who wants it) but that usually goes away pretty quickly compared to the smell of reheated fried foods.
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    I'm eating Cauliflower and carrots right now and smelling Long John Silvers... Thanks Co-workers :)

But I don't mind because I'm healthly :)
  • mamakjknows
    Options
    So, my question is--why are you depriving yourself of foods that you like to eat? It only makes you want it more. So, I see--have a hamburger from McD's every once in awhile, or a piece of chicken from KFC. Your craving will be satisfied and you won't be jealous of what your co-worker is eating :)

Just saying!!!!:devil:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm now waiting for the suggestions of how people who bring in "unhealthy food" to work should be forced to heat it up and eat it far away from the rest of the employees. Should they be asked to go outside like smokers are? Segregate them into a small area of the cafeteria and surround them with air purifiers?

"ZOMG -- someone is eating a Big Mac and fries! This is UNACCEPTABLE IN THE WORKPLACE!!!!!"

*sigh*

Sorry... just had to vent.

It'd just be nice if our kitchen either wasn't right next to my office (I moved here when I got a promotion last year) or if the kitchen had like an exhaust fan or something to keep the smells from lingering - no need for sarcasm.

It's not sarcasm -- believe me, if I were being sarcastic you'd know it.

The point I'm trying to make is that you can't always control your environment... you can only control yourself. People post rants like this QUITE often, and use it as an excuse as to why they "caved in" and stopped for fast food on the way home from work, or fell off the wagon because someone put temptation of some sort in their path. Not saying that you would, mind you -- but others are looking for excuses.

I understand where you're coming from -- I have a coworker who likes to eat egg sandwiches covered in onions and Limburger cheese EVERY DAY. The tea tree oil? It will become your best friend....
  • KJoy7
    KJoy7 Posts: 246
    Options
    My friend sits next to a woman that cracks open a can of tuna everyday and MICROWAVES it. Then she sits down next to her and eats it. The entire module wants to kill her.

punch her in the throat! She deserves it!
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    keep vapor rub at your desk, I am in the same boat as you. It sucks and i find that a quick wiff of the vapor rub blocks out the wonderful McDonald smell that I encounter every day!!! I keep a little round tin of Vicks at my desk
  • fishingwoman
    fishingwoman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Not only does my co-worker eat it right beside me because our desks are really close and our office is small, he always offers to grab me something while he's getting his. He goes out every day for lunch. Cheesesteaks, KFC, McDonalds, Zaxby's, all the places that I love. He thinks he's being considerate :smile: even though I have told him I am trying to cut out those kinds of foods. I bring my lunch everyday and thats what I tell him but it does not keep him from asking and when I tell him no thanks, his reply is "Are you sure?" :grumble:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my co-worker is eating right now - at her desk. It's very fragrant. I can't tell if it smells bad or good though! :ohwell: One of those things. Kinda spicy but like chips. I should go wander around and peek at everyone's desk to see who it is and what the heck they are eating. I can hear crunching occasionally too...