How often do you do Jillian's 30 Day Shred?

Options
I went out and bought Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred and started it last night (quite unsuccessfully but I'm determined to get through it sooner or later). How often are you supposed to do the workouts? Every day? Every other day? 5x/week? 3x/week? What worked best for you?

Replies

• melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    bump - a little help please?!
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think for best results it is meant to be done for 30 straight days. I have the DVD and do it 2 to 3x a week but I also go to the gym most days of the week so I see it as an enhancement to my workout :laugh:
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just started level 3 today. I've done all 21 days so far in a row, no break. That's best for ME because if I take a day off, I won't want to start back again. I've heard of some people taking a day or two off a week though..if you get too sore or need the rest you'll definitely still get results by taking a break once a week or so.

You could try doing it every day, and if it gets to be too much, take a day off and see how you feel. Good luck! It's a tough workout but I looooove it.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did it six days per week. I read an article where that was advised. I just continued until I had done 30 actual workouts. There were a LOT of moves I could not do, or had to modify when I began. But I just did my best, and it was amazing how much difference between days 1 and 10 of each level there was. I never thought I could do push ups, planks, jumping jacks, etc. I started at 251 so it was really hard for me. But I can NOT recommend it enough. I lost about 20 lbs after all three levels, doing it six days per week.
  • GoaliesWife123
    Options
    I think it is meant for 5 days per week. I'm not positive, but Jillian implements 2 rest days in EVERY program she puts out there, so I would assume this is the same. Do the first workout 5 days of 7, with 2 rest days. Then move on to the next level, and so on. Good luck!
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Jillian recommends you take 1-2 days off per week to allow your body to heal/rest up. So, 5-6 days per week.
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    Perfectly fine to have a rest day or two..I'm pretty sure Jillian recommended 5 days a week.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I do it two days then take a rest day. I also add cardio 5x a week. I tried doing it for 30 days straight and got so bored with it. taking a rest day works better for me
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think you're meant to do Level 1 for 10 days, Level 2 for 10 days and Level 3 for 10 days.

I started it but haven't been doing 30 days straight - not sure if it's meant to be that way but it works for me!

Good luck with it......it does get easier, I promise!!
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing to do is just listen to your body!

I started yesterday morning and haven't decided if I'll do the straight 30 days; I'm anxious for results but am terrified of getting burned out. I think I'll do the "weekends off" idea since I tend to get moving more-so on the weekends anyways. ...but, maybe not :)
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The first time i did it it took me 3 months to get through all 3 levels, simply because of life commitments.
    i did the last two levels in 1 month.
    I started again today and i am aiming to do 30 days in a row this time round, my last results were. 2 inch loss on my belly, thighs, waist and bust. a 2inch increase in my butt and improved cardio.
  • booksavvybabe
    booksavvybabe Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do 30 day shred about 2x's a week. Other days I go for walks, runs, yoga, weight training, zumba, etc... I like to mix it up. I think that it is meant to be done about 4x's a week or so, but I prefer do do things my own way :)
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I DEFINITELY take a day off a week! (this week it has been two days off because I wasn't feeling well)... but i need to give my body a time to rest and recuperate - especially my knees!!! i'm back to it today for 3 more days and then i might do another day before I move onto level 3 (4 days will be 10 days of level 2 but I'm finding i can get through it all pretty easily now (not saying it is EASY, it's still really tough, but i don't have to stop during any of the moves now).
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    All good info for when I start after Insanity.

Thanks!
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm alternating between 1 day shred & walking, 1 day running, and this works for me :-)
  • Derinq
    Derinq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm in the second half of level 2, I do between 5 and 6 workouts a week - Sunday is my day of from all exercising to give my body a little rest and often on Tuesdays when I get back from the gym I am not in the mood to do Jillian's shred afterwards :) So I have at least one rest day. I am getting stronger, as to results - will see at the end of 30 days :)
  • neon7girl
    neon7girl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pulling this from someone else, but have seen it multiple times:

illian Michaels has said in one of her podcasts that the 30DS is not meant to be done consecutively. The poster above me is correct, the Shred schedule looks like this:

Day 1: Shred
    Day 2: Shred
    Day 3: Your own cardio
    Day 4: Shred
    Day 5: Shred
    Day 6: Your own cardio
    Day 7: Rest

Jillian Michaels has also stated that if you feel comfortable enough to move on earlier than 10 days of shred, it's okay. Conversely, you can stick with one level of the shred longer than 10 Shred Days.

Hope this helps. I just started level 2.
  • wcrathbun
    wcrathbun Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is meant to be done everyday. I wasn't quite ready for that when I started haha! I did it about 3 times a week for a couple weeks and then started doing consecutive days once I had gotten my body a bit more used to it. I have been doing in now at least 5 or 6 days a weeks and it is going well! Good luck to you! I love it! (You are more than welcome to add me :))
  • Shutterbugfever
    Shutterbugfever Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice with the 30 day shred. I just started it yesterday and am only on day two. I can feel too! I'm glad to hear it gets easier because the push ups aren't so easy! I plan on doing it 5 days a week and then Saturday biking or rollerblading. Taking Sundays off to rest. 10 days on each one sounds good to me. Hopefully by the tenth day, I'll be and feel stronger... :D
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Some really great info here, especially since I'm a fitness-phobe. :embarassed:

I think I'll probaby try to do the 1 day of rest with 4 days of shred and 2 days of cardio - that seems the most feasible to me based on my personal schedule and endurance. I know I can do two days in a row twice a week but the thought of doing it 5-6 days/week consecutively was terrifying! :tongue: