Hispanics that love their food!

Options

Replies

• n_gal87
    n_gal87 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican and I've been having this problem as well. For me the answer has been moderation. My favorites are enchiladas and tacos. I've always made both with corn tortillas and I've continued to do so, and I've started making my own salsa with fresh tomatoes and a little seasoning, but I've been eating them less frequently.

I've found taco salad is a good substitute for traditional tacos as well, just eliminate the tortilla and it significantly reduces the calories.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've learned to adapt all my favorite dishes to a lower calorie version. I've even managed to get tacos to around 85 calories per.

You just have to consider that you make the dishes the way you do because you learned it that way. There's nothing stopping you from learning a *better* way.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel you. I love my pan de dulce and I was used to making all my mexican food from scratch. I have to say that it doesn't taste as good when using reduced fat but at least it's healthier.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I JUST LOVE FOOD...POINT BLANK...PERIOD!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Órale! :drinker:
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm half Mexican. I haven't changed my recipes much. Just eat less :)
  • jvac9397
    jvac9397 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am Puerto Rican too and arroz blanco and chuleta frita is my favorite meal. I grill everything now. I am not watching my sodium so i use Adobo and sazon to season all of my meats and then just grill it. its not the same but at least the flavor is there. We limit rice to once a week maybe once every two weeks. Rice is my husband's addiction so we can't have it often. Hard to limit to just a cup. Keep at it.
  • _Mitch_
    Options
    Comida Latina (latin food) my favorite after Sushi!!!! Love the brazilians steak house!!! :love:
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Mexican American here and I still eat everything I used to minus the salt. Feel free to add me
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I agree with most posters here, all in moderation and excercise play a huge part in weight loss! When we know better we do better, you will be teaching your family how to embrace their heritage, but also be healthy about it, not all latinos, hispanics are overweight right.

I have found that MFP brings into reality how much in denial I was about my food intake,, have you measured out an actual cup of rice, not much compared to the heaping spoons fulls that we have been made to believe is the correct way to eat and feed our family.

Measuring helps with serving amount and with logging your food.

add me if you like
  • rodrig462
    rodrig462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Haha! I sometimes scold my anglo neighbors for using the term, "Hispanic Cuisine." I tell them that we are a people that can agree about a language, but have no common ground as they relate to beans. :laugh:

I took an interest in cooking early on. I make no effort to spare calories because I prefer the authenticity.

We manage to keep it healthy by not eating festival dishes all the time - - just when there is something to celebrate. It also helps that I don't live in a place where the specialty meats are available. I have to order the good stuff and plan.
  • StrongSandra
    StrongSandra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have a Pinterest account, SkinnyTaste is on there: http://pinterest.com/skinnytaste/
    I like the recipes, but often I feel they are focused more on being low-fat than low-carb, and frankly, I'm looking to stay away from carbs more than fat.
  • cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i am also mexican american , and my weakness is just flour tortilla with refied beans and white cheese... mmmm
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Warm flour tortillas with butter. :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Im Latina and I have NOT given up my food!!! I make it fit into my macros since Im the one that cooks I know what I will be having for dinner there for adjusting what I will have for breakfast/lunch to make it fit. I think I would go crazy without my food.....:tongue:
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tacos De Pastor/ Campachanas / Barbacoa ... Since i eat healthy they dont settle well but i love them.
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too am hispanic...I am puerto rican while my husband is mexican. So I know exactly what you mean. I have not lost much weight lately and that is due to me not really focusing on calories in and calories out (burned through exercise). However I have not gained. What I have been doing as far as the food is BAKING!!!! I bake a LOT now, I have also reduced the amount of frying and oil used in my recipes. Another thing I do is use my children's plates for myself...helps with portion control and reduction of that mountain of rice. When I make mexican food for my husband...I only allow myself corn tortillas and only 1 or 2.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm hispanic and I too love mexican food! I will pass on rice and beans but I sure love me some fajitas with all the trimmings (cheese, guacamole, pico de gallo)!!
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Im Latina and I have NOT given up my food!!! I make it fit into my macros since Im the one that cooks I know what I will be having for dinner there for adjusting what I will have for breakfast/lunch to make it fit. I think I would go crazy without my food.....:tongue:

I totally agree, with NOT giving up my food!!!! I make it fit as well...if I am making something that is not toooo healthy, then guess what I have a few bits of it and have a HUGE salad. Like tostones...I used to eat like about 10, now I just have 2 or 3. Rice---well I have to have white rice...sometimes I can do brown but the white is the best, I can't figure out how to make arroz con gandules with the brown rice.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Warm flour tortillas with butter. :heart: :heart: :heart:

This.

Sooo dangerous and yet sooo amazing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!