Breakfast...

Options
Does anyone have any great breakfast ideas.

I find myself not eating breakfast for a few reasons: 1) it is easier for me not to eat than to eat and it be unhealthy, 2) I never have time...living on a farm ever second counts before I go to work, and 3) if I do not eat that is more calories I can have for lunch or supper.

However, I think it will help to lose weight if I eat breakfast.

Replies

• pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It is usually considered good to spread out calories, especially if you are doing heavy work such as that on a farm!

The easiest way is to prepare it ahead of time, some good options:

Oatmeal overnight, then add fruit, chocolate, nuts, or whatever in the morning - can reheat or eat cold
    Cereal - quick and easy
    Fruit salad - just toss the night before with lemon juice and honey
    Energy bars
    Trail mix
    I make these good peanut butter-chocolate-oat balls that you freeze and just get out and eat (goes great with milk) - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/08/27/chocolate-chip-peanut-butter-balls/ (these are perfect for "no time", just pop in your mouth as you run out the door!)

You can also try making egg dishes that are re-heat and eat (burrito, quiche, frittata, etc).

If nothing else, make a quick smoothie - those take less than 2 minutes to make and less than 5 to eat and you can pack them with good, low calorie foods (carrots, spinach, etc along with fruit and juice or water and ice).
  • runningfromzombies
    Options

I find myself not eating breakfast for a few reasons: 1) it is easier for me not to eat than to eat and it be unhealthy, 2) I never have time...living on a farm ever second counts before I go to work, and 3) if I do not eat that is more calories I can have for lunch or supper.

Some people don't need breakfast, some do. Personally, I find that eating a solid meal after I wake up prevents me from being so hungry that I make unhealthy choices later in the day--plus, I have always eaten breakfast, so I do it that way.

If you want to give breakfast a shot, here are some ideas:

1. yogurt (Greek or otherwise) with granola and a piece of fruit
    2. oatmeal with banana and peanut butter
    3. scrambled eggs with veggies of your choice, turkey or other lean meat, and cheese
    4. whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and piece of fruit

Oh, and as always...coffee with everything. :laugh:
  • kerimorgan1
    Options
    I also find that since I am so used to not eating breakfast that if/when I do eat that by 10:15 am I could kill for anything and its not just a craving it is an empty stomach hunger.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I got these great whole wheat apricot fig bars (a little bigger than a fig newton) and I have one of those and coffee with 1% milk every day before my workout. Yogurt (greek is so tasty) for breakfast with some fruit...

Tomorrow I got these low carb, high fiber tortillas (only 50 cals each!)...gonna spread 1-1.5 Tbsp peanut butter and then split a banana in half and put that inside. Roll it up...Gonna do the same for lunch probably.

Hard boiled eggs and a piece of toast-easy to grab and go...Yogurt pops...freeze them in the fridge and go.

2 parts plain or vanilla yogurt to 1 part peanut butter (add honey to flavor if you want)...use as dip for graham crackers, apples, celery.

The possibilities are endless...mix dry cereal and nuts or dried fruit to make your own trial mix...
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Make low calorie banana (or other healthy) muffins (lots of recipes online) and freeze them. 20 seconds in the microwave, and you have a quick and easy breakfast on the go.
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

You don't need to eat break fast. There's no benefit to weight loss by eating breakfast. It's a personal choice.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    If you wake up in the morning and aren't hungry for breakfast, and don't get hungry until much later, then don't eat breakfast. Just eat once you get hungry.

The whole "breakfast speeds your metabolism" thing is a huge myth. Your metabolism stays constant no matter how often you're eating within a day. You could even go 72 hours without eating anything at all, and your metabolism would remain at the same level.