Some advice needed on whether I am doing it right!

Options
Please could I have some advice. I eat a lot, check out my diary, but I am usually below my calorie allowance. Currently I am cycling at home (feel that I can maintain speed etc) trying to achieve the 200 mile cycle in September Challenge. Been logging into MFP for some time but not really losing much and clothes not getting any looser.

Looking to lose 0.5-1lb a week if poss.

Some guidance in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
Shelly

p.s. I did check out my TDEE FBEESS malarky...and that I have worked it out correctly.

Replies

• HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should watch your sodium?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest upping your protein. Most days you are not even hitting the goal amount (which on MFP is quite low and should be viewed as a minimum).

Also most days you are well under your goal. Try to be withing +/-100 cals of the total intake suggest by MFP.
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    More protein.

Less Fruit.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks ok, the choices are pretty good. I would suggest more water though. It really does help. Also maybe try incorporating some strength training into your exercise. The scale may not move as much but you'll notice it in inches. Other than that, I don't really know :ohwell:
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some strength training, building muscles slims you down!
  • braggsalot
    braggsalot Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree up your protein and try to get as close to your BMR and I think you will see a change. I know once I adjusted my protein intake I started losing at a more steady rate. Maybe change up your percentages for carbs/protein/fat 40/30/30 would be my suggestion. Also try introducing some strength training.
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    Please could I have some advice. I eat a lot, check out my diary, but I am usually below my calorie allowance. Currently I am cycling at home (feel that I can maintain speed etc) trying to achieve the 200 mile cycle in September Challenge. Been logging into MFP for some time but not really losing much and clothes not getting any looser.

Looking to lose 0.5-1lb a week if poss.

Some guidance in the right direction would be great.

Thanks
    Shelly

p.s. I did check out my TDEE FBEESS malarky...and that I have worked it out correctly.

A few things that would be useful for us to help you:

1. What are your stats? (height, current weight, age, activity level
      ) 2. It's hard to tell without knowing the above stats, but just by looking at the last few days of your diary, I would not say that you "eat a lot". I would say that you don't eat enough (and yes, that can prevent you from losing weight/inches). Again, stats will help with this. 3. Your protein intake is pretty low. I would suggest a ratio of 50%carbs/25%protein/25%fat. When you set up your MFP account it automatically sets your protein intake ridiculously low--15%. More than that is very good.
  • maggiecosmo
    maggiecosmo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi There... watch your sodium intake, sugar intake and drink lots of water....... you may also want to switch up your excersice routine
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I agree, way less carbs, way more protein. Especially if you are training for an athletic event.

Carbs aren't necessarily bad for you and you don't have to go low carb to reach fitness goals, it's just that they're not as useful as the other nutrients. Protein and fat can be used to build muscle or repair your body, where carbs can only ever act as energy. Your body stores excess carbohydrates as fat, but it usually gets rid of excess protein through the urine.

Sodium may also be a concern since you are eating a lot of prepared foods - having too much sodium in your diet causes you to retain water, so even if you are dropping fat, you won't see it on the scale because of the water weight! Aim for 1500-2000 mg of sodium a day maximum, and drink lots of water (if you don't already) to help flush out the excess sodium in your system right now.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    Set your goals to Custom and change your daily food goals to 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • danarod23
    danarod23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree. Muscle/body confusion will help. Mix up your workouts. Your body might have just adjusted to what you are doing everyday. Also try to get in all your calories each day or your body will go into starvation mode and not allow you to lose.
    I think those two points are key and will help a ton! Feel free to friend me and we can chat more if you want!
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    All those points are really helpful. I did think my carbs were high but I eat a lot of fruit.

What kind of stuff could I eat instead which is maybe high in protein (I added in a handful of nuts to try and build it up). I think I'm in a bit of a rut with my eating, maybe need a complete shake up.

I'm looking to lose about 11lb so nothing too drastic but been struggling for some time.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    All those points are really helpful. I did think my carbs were high but I eat a lot of fruit.

What kind of stuff could I eat instead which is maybe high in protein (I added in a handful of nuts to try and build it up). I think I'm in a bit of a rut with my eating, maybe need a complete shake up.

I'm looking to lose about 11lb so nothing too drastic but been struggling for some time.

Greek yogurt instead of the type you eat
    cottage cheese
    cheese
    meat
    eggs
    tofu
    tempeh
    milk
    hemp seeds
    beans/legumes
    lentils
    whey protein powder
    protein bars
    etc.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else's comments about switching up your exercise, eating more protein and watching the sodium.

I'm also wondering if you set your activity level properly. Maybe you're not as active as the level you chose.

Your weight could also be off. It's best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning with little to no clothes on. Make sure your scale is properly calibrated.
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    OMG. I can eat cheese. I love cheese. Right that's it. Things need changing :) Thanks guys

I have an office job, so unfortunately not very active. Will try & figure out what to do with this rep band thing that I have :)