Why is a treadmill harder than going outside...

Options
I'm a natural fast walker && I log it as 3.0 but when I do 3.0 on the treadmill, I'm out of breath 5 minutes in !
:huh:

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not actually walking 3.0 mph when you're outside. We tend to over-estimate ourselves.

Also, the treadmill requires you to walk differently than you normally would but most people say that it requires less effort than walking outside.

I can't stand running/jogging on the treadmill because of the difference that it makes in my stride but I love running outside!
  • Kateluvsall
    Options
    my theory is outside you have destination, your going somewhere, inside on a treadmill you are stuck in one place going nowhere lookin at the same view
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural fast walker && I log it as 3.0 but when I do 3.0 on the treadmill, I'm out of breath 5 minutes in !

have you actually gone a measured distance outside?

I found that I thought I was faster than I am... I thought I was doing 3 miles an hour... but on a track I really made closer to 2.5 miles an hour...
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I don't mind walking on the treadmill, but I prefer running outside. I'm not sure my reason is so much about one being harder; I just get bored easily on the treadmill. I'd rather run an out and back route than at a track going in circles or on the treadmill.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not actually walking 3.0 mph when you're outside. We tend to over-estimate ourselves.

Also, the treadmill requires you to walk differently than you normally would but most people say that it requires less effort than walking outside.

Try this site to calculate your mph. http://www.csgnetwork.com/runracepacecalc.html I speed walk on lunch to get some air in addition to my kickboxing/strength training at home or spinning at the gym and found I walk between 3.5 and 4 mph but I have always logged walking as 3.0.

I agree, the treadmill is easier than outside, probably less impact (softer surface)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have the same experience. A lot of other people say the opposite, but my outside walks are MUCH easier. And I track the miles and how long it takes me, so I know how fast I'm going. And I usually walk up and down some steep hills outside.

I can't figure it out, either. I avoid the treadmill for the most part, anyway.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I actually find it to be the opposite. When I'm on the treadmill I can keep running for 15-20 minutes at a time, but when I'm outside I can never seem to make it for more than 5 minutes. I believe it's because I have a hard time naturally pacing myself. Wearing an HRM has helped with the pacing quite a bit though. I know when I'm starting to exert myself too much so I can slow down.
  • djohns8606
    Options
    On a treadmill, it's easy to just jump off and not have to put any effort into getting back home whereas walking outdoors, after any amount of distance, you will have to put in the equal amount of effort to get back home. Perhaps it is psychological in that your mind has to fight the urge to quit (knowing how easy it is).

I cannot do a treadmill for long periods due to the boredom factor. Instead, I use an exercise bike with adjustable tension... I have a PlayStation game, a driving game, that I play which provides the ability to increase my workout incrementally. After each race, I increase the tension on the bike.

I generally average 25 to 30 minutes of riding that goes by pretty quickly because of the mind distraction of playing a racing game.

Playing a game while walking on a treadmill, however, is ill advised. You'll end up like one of these poor folks: :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTzKIDTEsY
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

What incline do you have your treadmill set at?

How do you know you're walking at 3mph (or faster if you're a "naturally fast" walker) outdoors? Do you have a measured route and time yourself? Are you using a GPS?