"You'll never win" - my motivation

Options
I want to say that I am a very strong christian and I know some people get offended so if you don't want to read about God you don't have to read any further :flowerforyou: I still love you and wish to offer motivation to you :flowerforyou: also... it is kinda long :bigsmile:

so I have had a lot of friend requests the last few weeks and someone always asks me where I find my motivation or what do I do when I am down... well I am kinda down right now... I have an injury that has me on the couch for a while (I go to the ortho doc tomorrow to find out what is wrong with my foot!)

so... when I feel depressed... I remember one of my favorite bible verses or a song... so I will break down the verse first...

Psalm 118:24 (I like to read several translations... these are my favorite english translations... today anyway)
Young's Literal Translation -This is the day Jehovah hath made, We rejoice and are glad in it.
New American Standard Bible - This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
King James Bible - This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

so... today is the day that God made... that is simple enough... every day is a gift...

"we rejoice" and "let us rejoice" are active tenses... that means that you have to actively rejoice... rejoicing is not a passive thing... it doesn't just HAPPEN... we have to CHOOSE to rejoice... sometimes that can be difficult... so what *I* do is to look for positive things to rejoice about...

since I am currently laid up and frustrated I am going to use today's situation as an example... my foot is injured possibly broken and I am stuck at home - enough of a pisser so what could be positive there??

1) I have a home...
2) it has a roof with no holes in it...
3) I have a great landlord who actually cares about me as a person not just as a rent check...
4) my rent is paid because I have a good job
5) I have electricity!!
6) I have a computer and internet access (however tenuous the access)
7) netflix (need I say more?)
8) my kids are big enough that they can help and clean up after themselves
9) my kids have cooked dinner every night this week (ok so we ate macaroni and cheese every night but what can I expect they are young!)
10) I have a good job with sick time so I am not going to be short from being sick!
11) I have an understanding boss who isn't firing me for being injured)
12) heating pad (I could just about stop there but I am feeling awesome right now so I want to continue)
13) my foot may be broken but I live in a country where I have access to health care and doctors and I WILL recover
14) I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE!!! (wowow.... this is big for me)
15) I can breathe (normally when I am out of commission it's because of my lungs)
16) my hands/arms work just fine
17) I am loved and have friends who bring me food :)
18) I have an ice machine so I don't have to worry about trying to balance on one foot and get trays to the freezer
19) a soft couch and nice cuddly blanket
20) mfp pals :) who pray for me and support me and give me the chance to support them

I could go on and on... but I am no longer crying and feeling all depressed and upset... rejoice first... be glad second... being happy is a choice we make... all of these things are things that many people take for granted... I have been without all of them at one point or another...

we have to find opportunities to rejoice... we have to sometimes search very hard... I have been doing this for a LONG time... it doesn't take me long to dig out one or two random tiny things about a situation that I can think positively about and then one positive thought leads me to another positive thought then another and soon I feel MUCH better...

the other thing that motivates me is a song by casting crowns called the voice of truth...
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/castingcrowns/voiceoftruth.html

(I will post a few lines here)

Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes to climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
To the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. 'Boy, you'll never win!'
"You'll never win"

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
And the voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"
And the voice of truth says "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth

again this comes down to an active choice and not a passive action... I have to ACTIVELY choose to listen to the voice of truth... the voice that said "do not be afraid" or "you can do all things" ....

He made all things glorious and He made me...

Replies

• JennInMA
    JennInMA Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. i like reading about strong happy people who rejoice in what they have been given. I believe God is great and only gives us what we can handle...

:) Thanks for the daily motivation
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    thanks for this. i like reading about strong happy people who rejoice in what they have been given. I believe God is great and only gives us what we can handle...

:) Thanks for the daily motivation

you are welcome :)
  • alexp74
    alexp74 Posts: 125
    Options
    If you focus on the things you have and the maintain the focus on your goals you will come out ahead and stronger for it no matter how long it takes.

I am a believer that we are only given what we can handle and when we are given the tools to succeed such as the people and the motivation to get healthier there is a reason for that.

Great post with lots to think about!
  • logansmom1995
    Options
    Wow! Your post is amazing. We do have so much to be thankful for & when you start listing them you really see how blessed you are. I also love that song "The Voice of Truth". God bless you & I hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    If you focus on the things you have and the maintain the focus on your goals you will come out ahead and stronger for it no matter how long it takes.

I am a believer that we are only given what we can handle and when we are given the tools to succeed such as the people and the motivation to get healthier there is a reason for that.

Great post with lots to think about!

when asked if the glass is half full or half empty... I usually say "half full, but I have free refills" :drinker: :wink:

it is so much easier for me to focus on where I am going than where I was...
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    Wow! Your post is amazing. We do have so much to be thankful for & when you start listing them you really see how blessed you are. I also love that song "The Voice of Truth". God bless you & I hope you have a speedy recovery!

:bigsmile: thanks :) I love "counting my blessings"... it is a thing I learned a LONG time ago when I decided to start dealing with depression rather than suffering from it
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    bump for later...

awesome - love it .... friend request being sent...
  • LoveMy3Boys605
    LoveMy3Boys605 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Awesome! With all of the negativity around me, I am so happy to read something like this! I try to stay positive myself, and although hard, reading something like this just reminds me of what I have to be thankful for...Thanks for sharing!
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    bump for later...

awesome - love it .... friend request being sent...

and accepted :)
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    Awesome! With all of the negativity around me, I am so happy to read something like this! I try to stay positive myself, and although hard, reading something like this just reminds me of what I have to be thankful for...Thanks for sharing!

sometimes when I am at work people get upset with me for being too positive... but then 10 min later they will turn around and say "I'm sorry I snapped earlier... I really like working with you" :)

I had a boss one time threaten to write me up for positivity... and insisted that I would loose it soon enough after working there for a while... I didn't... after 6 months she said that the CNA's told her my shift was their favorite...

whenever anyone says "have a good day" I always reply "I intend to, you do the same!" and people shake their heads...

but it rubs off on people :)
  • marissah2005
    marissah2005 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hope it's OK, but I'm sending you a friend request too.
    I am that person at work too - and I'm lucky enough to have "infected" others with positivity.

I can't think of who sings it, but I've heard a new song called "it's Only a Mountain" - that has been my inspiration lately.
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    Hope it's OK, but I'm sending you a friend request too.
    I am that person at work too - and I'm lucky enough to have "infected" others with positivity.

I can't think of who sings it, but I've heard a new song called "it's Only a Mountain" - that has been my inspiration lately.

accepted :)

I just find work so much easier (well life actually) when I can be positive about it.... and it helps me when craziness starts to remain calm (I am a nurse in the ICU... so that is MOST days) if I am not concentrating on how bad things are... and it helps my patients because I don't get hectic... they sense my calmness and my positivity and it helps them be calmer and more positive!!

although I admit my news feed is full of a lot of statuses with expletives right now because of my foot... it really hurts... and one thing that helps is a quick rant... and then I can go back to my usual smiley self :)