Les Mills Pump

I just ordered this from Beach Body. Sort of second-guessing myself, but it was a good deal and I've always wanted to try Body Pump and it's certainly cheaper than joining the gym again. Anybody else done it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Drawback on home DVD exercises I find is that most people's form is incorrect when it comes to execution. It's one thing to watch it and follow and another to actually do it with correct form. Hopefully you have a big mirror where you can see yourself performing an exercise till you can do it routinely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Drawback on home DVD exercises I find is that most people's form is incorrect when it comes to execution. It's one thing to watch it and follow and another to actually do it with correct form. Hopefully you have a big mirror where you can see yourself performing an exercise till you can do it routinely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yeah, then you see all the endless threads about bad kness and hips. Go figure.
  • RMCoffey
    RMCoffey Posts: 27
    I just finished this a month ago. I absolutely loved it! Go slow in the beginning and watch your form and you will love it too
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    The problem with these programs is that you usually don't know your form is bad because you can't see yourself from all angles in a mirror. And when you start working with weights form becomes even more important.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 532 Member
    I think its great. I agree about watching your form, but otherwise, enjoy!~ I love Chalean Extreme from beachbody too!
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    I haven't done the whole program but what I did do was awesome. It was my favorite workout. I plan on starting again. In 2 weeks I felt completely different, in a good way!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    My gym is only $30/month and it includes ALL of the Less Mills classes. :)

There are bargains out there--check on Groupon or other similar discount sites!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Everytime I hear the anything about this Les Mills Pump I always think of the penis pump from Austin Powers and giggle.

EDIT: Also, the SNL skit, with the russian brothers who were going to "pump you up"
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    I'm on my 11th week of LMP. It's been fantastic for me personally. I did have to get some additional plates because for some of the excercises like squats the 30lbs it comes with was not enough. I'm up to 48lbs now and it is a struggle :) That's the key point though... you should be struggling. If you breeze through it and don't have to work on that last set you aren't going to get anywhere with it.
  • Maymichelle
    Maymichelle Posts: 106 Member
    I just started LMP last night & I already love it! Trying it was definitely stepping out of my comfort zone. Very happy I ordered it and will be very happy when I see results!
  • I've been using LMP about a week now, and I thought I'd update - I really like it. I haven't really been doing their 90 program because of my schedule, but I'm currently doing the second workout, Pump and Burn, and it's definitely hard for me, so I'm just going to keep doing it for a while.

The first few times, I just used the bar with no weights but now I'm using five pound plates. I've definitely gotten better at it but I still can't get through the squat track without having to pause for a break.

I had forgotten how much I like to lift weights so I am really glad I bought this. It's hard, but I kind of look forward to it, which is definitely more than I can say about other workouts I've done.

I'm excited to work my way up to the full hour long workouts.
  • adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    LMP is a great program, and I highly recommend it. You have to be dedicated and determined to workout and follow the plan, but the schedule is a great tool and makes it simple once you set your mind that you will do the program.

Regarding the form issue, there are plenty of people at a gym that don't use proper form. Try to watch yourself in the mirror and follow the guideline set forth in the instructions.
  • Maymichelle
    I've been using LMP about a week now, and I thought I'd update - I really like it. I haven't really been doing their 90 program because of my schedule, but I'm currently doing the second workout, Pump and Burn, and it's definitely hard for me, so I'm just going to keep doing it for a while.

The first few times, I just used the bar with no weights but now I'm using five pound plates. I've definitely gotten better at it but I still can't get through the squat track without having to pause for a break.

I had forgotten how much I like to lift weights so I am really glad I bought this. It's hard, but I kind of look forward to it, which is definitely more than I can say about other workouts I've done.

I'm excited to work my way up to the full hour long workouts.

Great update! Congrats on your progress! I'm in week 3 and I've moved up between 5-10lbs depending on the exercise. I am loving it so far and can totally feel my arms getting stronger!!
  • Maymichelle
    LMP is a great program, and I highly recommend it. You have to be dedicated and determined to workout and follow the plan, but the schedule is a great tool and makes it simple once you set your mind that you will do the program.

Regarding the form issue, there are plenty of people at a gym that don't use proper form. Try to watch yourself in the mirror and follow the guideline set forth in the instructions.

This is great advice...thanks! =)
  • LMP is a great program, and I highly recommend it. You have to be dedicated and determined to workout and follow the plan, but the schedule is a great tool and makes it simple once you set your mind that you will do the program.

Regarding the form issue, there are plenty of people at a gym that don't use proper form. Try to watch yourself in the mirror and follow the guideline set forth in the instructions add me friend www.facebook.com/msmichellesolomon
  • I enjoyed the Les Mills Pump and Combat classes (I took them in a gym until the gym got bought out and they dropped the Les Mills Licensing.) I actually followed my Combat instructor to a new gym so when they get the licensing (they are working on it) I can take the class again
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Don't second guess! I highly recommend this program to friends. And as other people were saying just watch your form. Just a tip...You'll feel that the workouts the first 3 weeks are too repetitive and boring but I noticed after that it was worth it since I got more comfortable with the bar being on my shoulders and just using the bar.
  • I do Les Mills Pump at the gym and LOVE it, but didn't know there was a DVD! - Thanks!
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Yup, Beachbody teamed up with Les Mills to make the home version of Body Pump called Les Mills PUMP. Super fun!