Green Smoothie Recipes?

Options
tlblood
tlblood Posts: 473 Member
I have been hearing a lot about Green Smoothies lately, so I just bought a big thing of baby spinach from Costco.

Anyone have a good recipe to share? I also have frozen strawberries, frozen tropical fruit blend, skim milk, bananas, an apple, cuties, and ff yogurt I could use.

TIA!

Replies

• fce_woman
    Options
    I live on smoothies in the summer months. I have many favs...one is

approx 1 cup water (I don't use milk because I don't want the extra calories or sugar found in milk)
    couple tablespoons of fat free yogurt (I try to use greek yogurt for the extra protein)
    1 scoop of protein powder (vanilla works in any smoothie)

Blend all that then add:

1-2 handfulls of spinach leaves (once you get used to the taste you can add more to your mix)
    1 cup frozen berries or other frozen fruits
    1/4-1/2 cup frozen pineapple (the more pineapple you use the less you will be able to taste the spinach)
    (when you use frozen fruits you don't need ice cubes which will turn your smoothie watery)

You can experiment with lots of fruits mixed with spinach...in the summer I make a very "green" smoothie with frozen green grapes, kiwi, green apple, spinach, and pineapple.

Have fun mixing...I would mix with the minimum amount of veggies you are willing to taste then add fruit...there is nothing worse mixing a smoothie only to find out that you are not willing to drink it because of the taste. You can always add more veggies, you can't take them out once you've blended it :happy:

Nicole
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    this one is really simple and yummy: spinach, banana, berries (or fruits of any kind). Of course, water!

The banana give is a really cool consistency. If you can find a ripe mango this would work as well.

I have this every morning before going to the gym and I feel great!!!!!!!
  • Stephanie101
    Options
    This is how I make mine:

2 large handfuls of spinach
    Sunrype Veggie & Fruit juice (1/2 C)
    One small scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt
    banana
    Frozen berries (Whatever is on sale, or different blends. The one I'm using now is strawberries, grapes, honeydew melon and pineapple)
  • clipsychic
    Options
    Thnx for the yummy ideas!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This girl's blog I read likes green smoothies and she used 2 cups spinach, 1 cup vanilla almond breeze, and 1 banana for most smoothies. Here is one she posted today:
    •1 cup vanilla almond breeze (unsweetened)
    •1 tablespoon Nesquik (Do it. It’s so much yummier than cocoa powder)
    •1 tablespoon Instant Coffee
    •1 banana
    •Two cups spinach
    •1 cup frozen strawberries

She doesn't have a list of her smoothie recipes but she also has some more on her blog in older entries. She uses cherries in one.
    www.healthytippingpoint.com if you wanna check it out.
  • lurtle
    lurtle Posts: 9
    Options
    My personal favorite that I try to have every morning:

1 cup milk
    1 whole banana
    2 cups spinach
    1 tbsp. ground flax
    1 tbsp. ground oat bran
    2 large ice cubes

I put all into my Magic Bullet blender and it comes out creamy and smooth!
    The ice cubes make it nice and cold and also water it down a bit so it's not too sweet from the banana.
    I mix it for a few minutes to make sure everything is pureed well.
    If you're concerned about the fat added by the flax, it doesn't affect the taste at all to leave it out.

2652624.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm so in to smoothies right now
  • nakami
    nakami Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Brazilian Avocado Shake:
    2 cups of low-fat milk,
    1 large, ripe avocado
    2 tbsp of honey or agave nectar
    A little bit of ice

Enjoy!
  • glamchic99
    glamchic99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i just started reading about green smoothies, and i'm very interesting to trying this. one question i have is, is there a difference in taste between using spinach or kale? some recipes i've found use spinach while others use kale.
  • gurlysmiles2001
    Options
    spinach doesn't really have much of a taste if you also blend fruit, soymilk, and organic juices. kale i also have in my breakfast smoothie and some days i dont use it and sub more spinach because kale has almost a spicy taste and can be overwhelming in smoothies, even in mine that has tons of fruit and juices. it is really good for you though, so maybe try a mix of both until you get used to the taste :)
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    i just started reading about green smoothies, and i'm very interesting to trying this. one question i have is, is there a difference in taste between using spinach or kale? some recipes i've found use spinach while others use kale.

The kale has a slightly stronger taste but nothing that I find disagreeable. It's good to switch up your greens and not rely on one type day after day.

I like green smoothies with parsley too but they may be an acquired taste.

coconut water + handful chopped flat parsley + watermelon + strawberries + juice of 1/2 lemon + 1 Tbsp flaxseed

You could substitute spinach or kale for the parsley.

Here's a website that I like ...
    http://www.smoothie-handbook.com/green-smoothie.html
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'm a GM-aholic! try www.greenmonstermovement.com for recipe ideas.

I'll be back to share mine when I have time. I hate bananas in my smoothies, so I have been improvising! Thanks for the ideas!
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options
    bump! cant wait to try these!
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Back! Here's my FAVE Green Monster recipe... I love my smoothies nice and thick, almost milkshake-like. So this one works great. Nutritional stats will vary depending on your ingredients. My protein powder is a bit high in cals, so adjust accordingly.

1 cup (8 oz) almond milk
    2 large handfuls baby spinach
    1 scoop Kaizen decadent chocolate (41g scoop - 150 cals and 35g of protein!)
    1 Tbsp cocoa powder
    1 Tbsp natural peanut butter
    140g (about 6) frozen unsweetened strawberries
    1/2 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
    Scant splash or two of water, for ease of blending

Cals 426
    Fat 13
    Protein 44
    Fiber 11

Blend on high for 30-60 seconds until combined. Makes a HUGE protein shake, perfect for after a long hard workout. Very chocolate-y, decadent and delicious - and so thick you'll have to eat it with a spoon! I've tried a lot of combinations over months and this one has remained my "Go-To" since the very beginning. It just can't be beat!

Another good (but not AS good) thick GM I've tried is the following:

1/4 avocado
    2 large handfuls spinach
    1 raw egg or 2 egg whites (I use pasteurized simply egg whites - but use with caution or omit)
    1/4 cup plain yogurt
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
    1 scoop chocolate protein
    (May need a little almond or other milk for blending)

Blend and enjoy! Serve with a spoon and toss in some chia seeds for an added nutritional "kick".

I'd love to hear more - So keep posting!
  • lurtle
    lurtle Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow! I've recently started using kale in my smoothies...yummy!
    I was very surprised at how flavorless the kale can be.
    I discovered that you should freeze it after washing it, so when you blend it, it pretty much shatters like glass...kinda cool.

This is the one I've been doing:

3 leaves kale, washed and frozen
    1 cup water
    Blend water and kale together

Add:
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries (cultivated seem to be best...less 'seedy')
    1 banana

The recipe calls for honey, as well, but I find the berries and banana make it sweet enough.

I also add:
    1 tbsp ground flax
    1 tbsp ground oat bran
    1 tbsp plain protein powder
  • Shalycey
    Shalycey Posts: 3
    Options
    I love smoothies as well, but my blender isn't the greatest! Would you mind suggesting a good blender that I might invest in?
    Thanks so much!!!
    Shalycey!
  • beckymike36
    beckymike36 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have the magic bullet, I love it.

Spinach smoothie

1 cup almond breeze unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1/3 cup 0% MF Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup frozen berries of choice
    I cup raw baby spinach
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
    Stevia is optional for sweetening but I find it sweet enough without it.
  • ecahill91
    ecahill91 Posts: 69
    Options
    What's the word about "Green Smoothies"?? I'm very interested...

I LOVE smoothies in the warmer months, and would love some new ideas.

Also, I'm wondering how people feel about the Magic Bullet blender, and how long have you been using it for??