Hispanics that love their food!

Options

Replies

• barbie2k2
    barbie2k2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any healthy mexican recipes? I love mexican food but I need a healthier version of it. I still have 45 lbs to lose to be at my ideal weight.
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm also Mexican .come from a large family were the woman had to cook for the men..fresh flour tortillas and lots of everything in oil..:frown: ...my weakness is RICE ....aww i cant stay away from it..lol :tongue:
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Im hispanic and I LOVE food. I still eat the same things but I've made a lot of subsitutions like brown rice instead of white. It has about the same amount of calories but brown rice has more fiber and nutrients; therefore, it fills up your tummy.... I use wheat tortillas for my chicken avocado wraps. You can do it!
  • MissDevin
    MissDevin Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I miss my real Mexican food. =(
  • snoopyfan88001
    Options
    Aye chica I know what you mean! Like with refried beans? I don't refry, I just warm them up and mash 'em. Still tasty if you add low-cal mozerella cheese. I also developed a taste for whole-wheat flour tortillas, but limit them! The thing I find hard to stay away from is rice or any kind of sopitas. My favorite is red chile enchiladas, so I have them as a treat, but only once a month. Lol! yeah, it's difficult, but you can do it! Exercise! I have fallen in love with exercising and staying active. Even cleaning the darn house is exercise. You get a workout AND a clean house! Don't give up! :flowerforyou:
  • Dimples1975
    Dimples1975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Im Mexican too and I love our food! I haven't given up much but what I have done is portion control. I have lost 20+ so far by just doing that. We will grill our chicken and have only 1/2 c of rice. I eat only 2 tortillas and grill lots of veggies like asparagus, onions, etc. I make my own fresh salsa. I believe that in order to be sucessful in this journey you have to have portion control because if you deprive yourself, you will eventually fall back to your old ways! Good Luck Everyone and it's nice to see others understand what I go through! :drinker:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, I am Cuban and we tend to eat lots of fried foods, I have lost 9 pounds so far and I still eat my cuban food, I just tweak them a little like I try to bake more than fry and for the rice, I still have it, I just have 1/2 cup instead of the mountain of rice we are used to serving,Lol...And I put all of my recipes into the recipe builder which makes it easier to count for. Sometimes, it is not as bad as we think they are, we just have to have less amount than we are used to!

^^^ I eat pretty much anything. You just can't eat the fried stuff every day, you have to cut back on portions of some things, use leaner cuts of meat to make some of the dishes, and add more vegetables and fewer tortillas.

Also if you were not exercising before, and you are now, you may be surprised how much you can eat and STILL lose weight just by becoming active.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks to a MFP friend on here I discovered skinnytaste.com

It has healthier versions of some of our meals including enchiladas, carnitas, chuletas, rice etc!!!!! Check it out and hope it helps!

OMGoodness!!! Thank you for this website!! I love it!!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Mexicana here. I still occasionally enjoy tortillas barbacoa and mole con arroz.., taquitos enchiladas..chalupas all in moderation. :smile:
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Peruana here...I still eat everything I like...just less of it and I try to stay away from arroz blanco :(
  • Kat8976
    Options
    I am Puerto Rican too and do the same thing. I bake or grill pork chops, steak or chicken and use Sazon Goya to season in moderation. I love pasteles though and REFUSE to give them up. I will just work out extra if I need to..LOL.....I also use my son's small kids plates to serve my food...that helps me keep my servings under control =)
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    I'm from London, England - I'm not Hispanic but love everything Hispanic and especially their food. For the record I travelled to Honduras for a month and I'm sure I put on 14 lbs whilst there.

There was so much meat, eggs, tortilla, beans and so on. In the end I just had to stop eating else I was going to explode. On my next trip to that side of the world, I'll be eating light, training hard and sticking to my MFP routine. Hispanic food is lovely but can be high in calories. You've just got to try and have smaller portions, that's what I plan on doing, next time I'm in town. :o)
  • america_c
    Options
    I know what you meant. I'm Mexican and it's my favorite food. It's what I grew up on with my parents and what I cook for Gordo at home. Don't get me started on chiles rellenos, tortas and enchiladas...OMG!
  • caranda8
    Options
    I'm mexican and love love love the food!!! I dread and also look forward to the weekends, my mom makes the best food ever on Sundays and can eat eat eat!!! Really focusing on eating small portions of what I love instead of going for that 2nd or somtimes even 3rd plate!!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Mexica/Italian here-I love my food, but I do not miss tortillas, or all the grease. I still have options and healthier versions of my food. But when I do want the real thing I eat it on my free day. its not worth my health.
  • oneionic
    Options
    Tengo hambre después de leyendo esto! lol. I could never give up all of the foods I love, but I do try to limit my portions and find healthier ways of cooking said foods. Not frying the corn tortillas when you're making enchiladas is helpful!

If anyone wants to add me, feel free. :)
  • amadacorazon
    amadacorazon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not Mexican, but I grew up in a predominantly Mexican-American home & town. My husband is Mexican. So, for me to give up Mexican food is not an option, nor do I want to give it up. :)

But, I have found that I can modify most of our favorite recipes to reduce calories and make healthier versions without losing flavor.

Some things, I haven't changed, just eat smaller portions and less often.

Buen Provecho!
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I still love the food but everything in moderation.
    add me as a friend!
  • latinlady435
    latinlady435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas :)
  • banks89202
    Options
    Not Hispanic, but I LOOOVVE there food too :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!