i want to try an omlette...but how?

Options
Hi
I only tried eggs for the first time about six weeks ago. Now I am obsessed with hard boiled egg on toast ( cause it tastes like cheese on toast to me ). Anyway I would like to try an omelette, preferably containing mushrooms and spring onions. But how do I make one? I've googled some recipes but they seem to have butter and oil. Is it possible to make a healthy one ? And how will I know how many calories it contains. Please give me advice, instructions, recipes!
Thankyou!

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I generally make mine with three eggs and a little milk and add-ins and mix it all together, spray a pan with Pam and cook it until done (flipping it over once).
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I only tried eggs for the first time about six weeks ago. Now I am obsessed with hard boiled egg on toast ( cause it tastes like cheese on toast to me ). Anyway I would like to try an omelette, preferably containing mushrooms and spring onions. But how do I make one? I've googled some recipes but they seem to have butter and oil. Is it possible to make a healthy one ? And how will I know how many calories it contains. Please give me advice, instructions, recipes!
    Thankyou!

I just omit the butter and oil from the recipe. Sometimes I put in a little milk.

To determine the calories, you can use the MFP recipe builder, or you can just input all the ingredients as a meal.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Google "omelet in a bag". It is real simple, no added oil and easy clean up.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid of butter and oil?
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    take 3 eggs and beat them with a little bit of water(makes them fluffy) spray a non stick pan with pam and dump in egg mixture. I cover it for a few minutes as it seems to cook through better then add what you want on one half, flip the other half over it and cover a few more minutes so it heats up in the middle.
    I like to cook the bacon/sausage, etc before hand and then add it in with cheese.
    Use turkey sausage links and low fat or light cheese and mushrooms, onions, whatever you want.
    It is easier than it sounds.
    Just add each ingrediant on your meal like 3 eggs, 3 turkey sausage links, 1/4 cup FF cheese, etc.
    Good luck!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    *disclaimer: I haven't checked but.... Youtube has an instructional video for everything. Someone may have posted a video.

I find making omlettes tricky. If possible, try using a nonstick pan and spray with Pam.
  • Kalebdylan
    Kalebdylan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I mix 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites a little bit of milk (to make it fluffy) and salt and pepper. The key to cooking good eggs is to cook them low and slow. Spray your pan with cooking spray and put on a medium low heat. When the eggs are starting to cook on the bottom but still fairly liquidy on top add in your mushrooms/ onions/cheese basically whatever you like. Flip the eggs over in half and continue to cook a few minutes. Enjoy!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I spray pam in pan first then pour in a combo of a egg and egg whites(whisk together). let cook for a while then add your fix ins fold over and cook some more. DELICIOUS.
  • mela216r
    Options
    this is one of my favorites! Endless variations, you can fill them up with whatever you most enjoy . Here's what I do: get a frying pan & precook veggie mixture of your choice (mushrooms with scallions is good; add zuchini and / or tomatoes, fresh spinach, or whatever veggies you like). When veggies are barely done, take off heat & set aside. Get a small bowl & break in 1-2 whole eggs plus add 2 egg whites (keeps fat & calories down); beat well. preheat a bigger skillet (med high) & spray with pam. Pour eggs in all at once. As they begin to set up, run spatula around the edge to lift, and tilt pan to let the uncooked mixture run under. Once the omelette is setting, put about 1/4 to 1/2c low fat shredded cheese evenly over top. Then distribute veggies over top. Let cook for another minute or two, until underside starts to brown. Use spatula to fold in half, then slide the entire thing onto a plate. The entire process takes no more than 10 min. This is a great breakfast & a good way to use up leftover veggies!
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thankyou!
    im sorry but i have to ask how you went so long without trying eggs?
  • aimeero2012
    Options
    If you find it difficult to flip it over (and it all breaks up) try finishing it under the grill. A small amount of olive oil is not too many calories and it is healthy. I would be more careful of the cheese!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    *disclaimer: I haven't checked but.... Youtube has an instructional video for everything. Someone may have posted a video.

I find making omlettes tricky. If possible, try using a nonstick pan and spray with Pam.

Some times I find omlettes tricky too. When I do, I just turn the whole thing into a scramble. It's just as good.
  • esteeetee
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Going to have a go on my day off!

I'm not afraid of butter and oil I'd just rather avoid them so I have more calories left for chocolatey treats!

I never tried them til now cause they freaked me out. Like they are chicken fetuses or periods or something. I was /am quite stubborn too so when I convince myself I dont like something I rarely change my mind. I didn't touch milk for about 5years - cause obviously it's cow cum. Haha.

Yes, I'm a freak. :)
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I didn't touch milk for about 5years - cause obviously it's cow cum. Haha.

Yes, I'm a freak. :)

You do know milk comes from females (ie., cows), right (and bovine-ly speaking, semen comes from bulls). And actually, milk is modified sweat. I hope that makes you feel better about it!

Omelettes are awesome, and really pretty easy once you get the hang of it. But there's no getting around that fact that eggs are indeed unused reproductive material.
  • jensauce
    jensauce Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    easiest way ever: beat your eggs with a splash of milk and whatever seasonings you like. put it in a (sprayed/buttered or nonstick) pan over medium heat. add whatever toppings you like. then put it in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes til the eggs are cooked through. slide it out of the pan, folding it in half on your plate. SO easy, SO delicious, and a perfect omelette every single time. =D
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    4 words

Egg In A Mug.

Not as pretty as an omelette, but taste the same, and are super easy

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1256
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Omelet is all about technique. I recommend one of 2 ways:

1. The Alton way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ctOrOZ__p0
    2. The Julia way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jTL5W73k_o

By the way, butter or oil are not unhealthy.
  • Bailey543
    Options
    This.

Why are you afraid of butter and oil?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've never used butter or oil. I suck at making omelets though - mine turn out as scrambled eggs w/omelet ingredients.

and ummmm... cow cum? You don't cum out of your breasts. :noway:
  • jumoore55
    Options
    Sounds good! I use a nonstick pan, Pam. Couple of eggs whisked, set aside. If you get fresh mushrooms, you could put them in your nonstick pan over medium heat, cook them a few minutes, then add your eggs. I'd add the green onions at the last minute, along with a shake of salt and pepper. Have fun!