How many calories do the Slim-in-6 Dvds burn?

Options
Hey,

I've just tried the slim-in-6 dvds and they're working great and I can actually see results which is awesome. Does anyone know how many calories the different workouts burn and if not how would I go about calculating this? Primarily the workouts are a combination of slim training (cardio/strength training), squats, abs work, arm work and ending with yoga. The three different workout are 30, 50 and 60 minutes long.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart monitor that calculates calories burned b/c I do DVDs also. Because of the nature of the workouts, calorie burn is different for everyone depending on effort exerted etc. I log it into exercise under circuit training.
  • sweetpeagal
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've never used a heart monitor before. Does it calculate the calories for you or how does it work?
  • Essence320
    Essence320 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You program it for your height and weight and it calculates your target heart rate, keeps track of your HR as you're working out, and a running tally of calories burned as your working out. I use a Polar F4. Polar makes a squillion different models but I just needed something simple. :smile:
  • ChaslovesBrian
    ChaslovesBrian Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They use your heart rate along with your weight which you enter in, to give you a an accurate idea of how many calories you are burning. It is the best way to figure out how many calories you are burning. I bought one a year ago, and will absolutely not workout without it! Indespensable equipment for losing weight. A must.

I don't know what I ever did without it.

You can get them at Academy, Sports Authority, ****s Sporting Goods, Walmart, etc. You are looking to spend around 40-50 dollars for a reliable/accurate one.

Hope this helps!

I do Beachbody programs as well. :bigsmile:
  • sweetpeagal
    Options
    Thanks! I'm going to go get one tomorrow. :) What Beach Body Workouts do you use? I bought the Slim-6-Dvds and just love them!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,737 Member
    Options
    I enter the 6-Pack and cardio workouts as "Aerobics, general" and the S&L as "Stretching, hatha yoga." I don't know how accurate that is, but it seems to be close enough. I've been doing Slim in 6 and using MFP to calculate my calories since August, and I've lost 20 pounds doing it. It's not jaw-dropping speed to lose weight, but I'm happy with it!
  • chantalsantos
    Options
    im in the same position....i herd you burn 100 calories for each 10 minutes
  • fat_girl_b_gone
    Options
    I just purchased the slim in 6 dvds and can not wait to start them. I to am trying to figure how many calories each one burns. Thanks for all the tips and I hope the dvds work.
  • Melatonin
    Melatonin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was googling to find an answer to this same question before I came across this topic on here. I love the idea of of the heart monitor though, I'm gonna have to look into that. I did find a similar topic thread on BeachBody that might help :) It includes several other popular work out.

Here's the link and I will copy and paste the info :)

http://www.teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/29693327

You can get a ballpark figure (way ballpark really). To be somewhat accurate you have to know what your max HR is and it's very helpful to know what your anaerobic threshold is. Without knowing these numbers you are really just guessing, which is only slightly better than using those silly scales you can find online that say things like:

walking 200 cals/hr
    mowing the lawn 300 cals/hr
    basketball 500 cals/hr
    sex 1,000 cals/hr etc, etc,

these scales are wildly off, in general because when doing something like playing bball you can be playing lazily and diving after loose balls and running around like AI, which would be a difference of about 800 cals/hr for the same activity.

If you use the 220-age (m) or 226-age (f) scale for est max HR, which is always wrong, and you know your resting HR, you can vaguely figure out training zones which can give you an idea, which is probably with 200-300 calories. This isn't too accurate given that an easy workout might only burn that much.

I like to always underestimate so here's a scale to use:

1,000 cals an hour = you totally killing yourself for an hour. Drenched in sweat, heart feeling like it's about to explode, like racing a bike.

800 in a hour is a very hard continuous workout. Pumped for most of it.

600 an hour is a hard workout like BIU.

400 an hour would be if you did BIU and were really lazy and didn't use very much weight. You were sweating but never very tired and never pushing to failure.

300 an hour would be an easy but continuous hike

200 an hour would be stretching while watching tv and getting up at every commercial to walk to the fridge and eat something.

P90X = 600
    BIU = 600 (Burn it up from Slim in 6)
    RIU = 400 (Ramp it up from Slim in 6)
    P90 3/4 = 400
    P90 1/2 = 300
    PHH = 350
  • smores85
    smores85 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just joined my fitness pal yesterday and I'm lovin it so far. I've had my Slim in 6 DVDs for awhile and love them. Came across this post first thing when I googled how many calories it burns. Love the idea of the heart monitor and am going to look for one this weekend.
  • hudasiddiqui
    Options
    I started the slim in 6 workout this week and today was my fourth day. I have a New Balance lifeTRNC watch and it shows that I burned 470 calories during the first DVD start it up. I am 5, 5 and my current weight is 205.
    Hope that helps!!! Good luck with your workouts!
  • deej4him
    Options
    :smile: Thanks for posting. I am about the same height and weight so I am gonna put a little under what you have just so I have something to enter. I really appreciate it!
  • roguem1
    roguem1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering the question!