Carrots & potatoes leave me STARVING....

Options
Really, the title about sums it up. I rarely eat either of them, but when I do I run into this issue EVERY time. I can eat pretty much any other veggie you can come up with without issue, but both of these, about 45 minutes after I eat them, leaving me ravenously hungry. Any ideas why?

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    Really, no answer?
  • slyjoker87
    slyjoker87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's a particularly odd problem, but perhaps the solution lies somewhere in your psychology? How are you preparing carrots and potatoes? How does this compare/contrast with how you eat other veggies?
  • melbaby701
    melbaby701 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure why but same happens to me. I found a white sweet potato at my farmers market that feels me more than the regular potato. Although the more carbs I eat the hungrier I seem to be so I try to stay away from them. I know that doesn't help but I seem to be in the same boat as you.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I can prepare them pretty much any way, or eat them raw, and it seems to be an issue. There are times I've eaten things I didn't realize had carrots or potatoes in them, and run into the same problem, only discovering it afterward. Frankly, it sucks, because I enjoy both of them.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Not sure why but same happens to me. I found a white sweet potato at my farmers market that feels me more than the regular potato. Although the more carbs I eat the hungrier I seem to be so I try to stay away from them. I know that doesn't help but I seem to be in the same boat as you.

So glad to know I'm not the only one, at least! I'm terribly allergic to sweet potatoes, unfortunately - trying out kohlrabi fries tonight, to see how that goes.
  • joywo
    joywo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You need protein in the mix. Quinoa is my go-to carb and so versatile. Mix in any veggie with it and it's like a rice or pasta dish.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Eat something else.

What are you pairing them with? Are you eating them by themselves? Both of those things are high on the glycemic index which is not bad, but your body will break down the sugars faster vs something higher in protein/fiber.
  • witless
    Options
    article Gabe Mirkin, M.D.

When you eat a food, your blood sugar level rises. The food that raises blood sugar the highest is pure table sugar. Glycemic index is a ratio of how high a particular food raises blood sugar in comparison to how high table sugar raises blood sugar levels. Foods whose carbohydrates break down slowly release glucose into the bloodstream slowly, so blood sugar levels do not rise high and therefore these foods have low glycemic index scores. Those that break down quickly cause a high rise in blood sugar and have a high glycemic index.

Most beans, whole grains and non-starchy vegetables have low glycemic index; while sugars, refined grains made from flour, fruits and root vegetables have a high glycemic index.

If you try to use glycemic index tables to guide your choice of foods, you will see things that should bother an intelligent person. A carrot has almost the same glycemic index as sugar. That is ridiculous. You know that a carrot is a far wiser choice for dieters or diabetics than table sugar.

To deal with this conflict, researchers developed a new measure to rank foods called Glycemic Load (GL). To calculate glycemic load, the grams of carbohydrate in a serving of food are multiplied by that food's glycemic index/100.

Carrots and potatoes both have a high glycemic index, but using the GL index, carrots dropped from high GI of 131 to a GL of 10. Potatoes fall from a GI of 121 to a GL of 45. Air-popped popcorn, with a glycemic index of 79, has a GL of 4.

Foods that are mostly water or air will not cause a steep rise in your blood sugar even if their glycemic index is high. That's why Glycemic Load is more useful. However, all of these tools should be used for research and not for your daily selection of foods. Use your own common sense and eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and other seeds. If you are diabetic, you can eat root vegetables and fruits with other foods to slow the rise in blood sugar they may cause.
  • witless
    Options
    and how much of them are you eating ? what % of your daily calorie intake are carbos?
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Generally, I'm at 30% fat, 25% protein, 45% carbs. (Lately this has been a bit wonky, but getting back on track.)

Carrots are usually in something like beef stew, or on salad, when I do eat them. Potatoes tend to go in breakfast burritos, or with beef (burgers, steak, whatever).
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Foods high on the glycemic chart do that to me too. I think they make my blood sugar spike then when I crash I feel the need to bing.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Check out where they are on the glycemic index.
  • witless
    Options
    there might be another reason behind the carrots and potato issue if they are consumed with wheat gluten
    this is a very interesting article about super wheat the generically modified high yield
    high protein wheat and the effect by Dr Mark Hyman
    http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/13/three-hidden-ways-wheat-makes-you-fat/
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue when I eat raw fruits or vegetables. About 30 minutes after eating them I get what feels like horrible hunger pangs. I know it's not real hunger since my stomach is full , but it's unpleasant nonetheless. Eating more non veggie or fruits is the only way to make it stop.