Feeling blue.

Options
Is it normal to feel blue this early into the journey? I feel stupid for feeling like this after just 2 days but I have this nagging, annoying doubt building. I am trying my damnedest to stay nothing but positive and motivated. Has anyone else felt like this so early on. Maybe I am just setting myself up for failure.

Replies

• Jess6385
    Jess6385 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's normal. This wont be your last day of feeling blue I can tell you that. You just have to keep moving along. I have been at this for about 8 months and I still have days when I want to throw in the towel. Just take things a day at a time. Just think of where you will be 30, 60, 90 days from now. Set mini goals for yourself. Don't look at the big picture... sometimes that can be overwhelming!

I always tell myself... those numbers are only going down from here. It always keeps me motivated!

Good luck. You can do it!
  • Endriena
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will set some mini goals for myself!
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    I so understand this feeling too. Sometimes you just feel like '' whats the point?''. It's totally normal, when this happens, just remind yourself why you are doing this for yourself.

In my case, I want my wedding rings to fit again, I no longer want to feel tired or have back pains when I walk. I also want to start golfing with my dad again, etc....

Write down these reasons (I carry my little list everywhere in my purse) and read them when you're down or just come and chat in the community. You'll see you'll get your motivation back! Add me as a friend, the more support, the better!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    In addition to the excellent suggestions already given, I would suggest that you start keeping a journal if you're not already doing that. Many people find that this helps. You can write (or type on computer) what you're feeling about your lifestyle change. When you have an urge to eat when not really hungry you can write that down along with whatever feelings you might be having at that time. You may even want to start a blog. There is a tab for that at the top of your page right next to groups in the "Community" section. Best of luck to you with the change you're making. Add me as friend if you would like.
  • lose3stone
    lose3stone Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's all part of the course I'm afraid and it happens to us all. I think it could also have something to do with carb and sugar withdrawal if you have cut down a lot. Good luck
  • ItsFinallyHappening
    Options
    I have 128 lbs to lose - which is definitely overwhelming. Like they said earlier, don't look at that huge number, but instead look at setting 2 and 3 pound goals - and a goal to just get through today. There is a book - on how to think like a thin person by Dr. Beck - I read it and it was very helpful. Good luck, you can do it. There are so many helpful people on MFP - make sure you FRIEND them and embrace their support. Friend me if you want - I love the support and I need it.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    everyday is a new begining. After a while, it becomes a way of life. I started walking & counting my calories in November 2011. now I'm 57 pounds lighter & feel so much better. If I could sugest anything to you to make it easier, it would be to get some really tasty protein supplements & use some everyday to help alleviate hunger pangs. When I started using high protein & lowered my carbohydrate intake, my body started dropping pounds FAST. Stick to it & NEVER give up. my favorite saying is: "even a slow walk is better than sitting on the couch eating & watching TV"
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It's totally normal! I have lost my weight and going about five months into maintaining and I feel "blue" sometimes. It can be daunting knowing that this is a forever change.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. I am on here everyday and will encourage you but will also challenge you. :) we are all in this TOGETHER!!!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Post-it notes all over your personal space. Things like:

You can do this.
    You are stronger than the voice in your head.
    You know what you want and you know how to get it.
    This is possible.
    Love yourself. Trust yourself. Take care of yourself.

I'm sure once you actually sit down and start writing these things on paper, many more will just flow out. Ones that mean more to you and resonate with you. It'll feel good to do it and it'll feel good to see it around your house!
  • evsullivan
    Options
    That's a really sweet idea, bulbadoof.

I'm on here a lot too so anyone can feel free to add me! I can't tell you how much it helps to have support.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY NORMAL what you're going through.

HOWEVER.

I was just telling my friends on here yesterday how grateful I was to have met them when I did. The support you get from the people you *friend* here is ASTRONOMICALLY AMAZING! More support than I could get from my own family! You'll meet some pretty amazing people who you could EASILY become friends with in real life.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU GOT THIS!

Friend me if you like. I'm a little quirky, I like to sing, I like to try and post some kind of funny on here, but I have fun with it. It's a journey...and getting there IS half the fun!!!

:happy:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I think it was overwhelming when I started. So yeah, you're normal. :smile: Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • Endriena
    Options
    I dont' know how to thank all of you for the support! It is absolutely wonderful knowing that you all took time out to answer me! It is inspiring! Looking forward to tomorrow more now than ever before!!