Birth Control (Patch)

Options
Hello! This is obviously directed towards women. I am looking into birth control methods and believe I have settled on the patch. I have heard many things about weight gain on birth control and would like to hear from those who have had the patch. I was also considering the shot, but it specifically states weight gain is a possible side effect. Also, my sister was on it and gained a lot of weight. Weight gain scares me because it's taken me so long and I've worked so hard to lose the amount of weight I have. Any insight you have would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • imaginativa
    imaginativa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I actually just got off the patch after 2 years. It was awesome and I can't honestly be sure about weight gain, because I did have some, but I attribute it mostly to having turned 21 at that time and drinking a lot more than I had been. I have been losing weight for the past year though; I've been off it for about a month, so I can let you know if it gets easier to lose weight (meaning it did lead to weight gain lol).
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    Hey there! I actually just got off the patch after 2 years. It was awesome and I can't honestly be sure about weight gain, because I did have some, but I attribute it mostly to having turned 21 at that time and drinking a lot more than I had been. I have been losing weight for the past year though; I've been off it for about a month, so I can let you know if it gets easier to lose weight (meaning it did lead to weight gain lol).
    Thank you for your response! That makes me feel better!
  • legnarevocrednu
    Options
    Bump...anyone else have some insight?
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had to stop using the patch after two months because I could not stop gaining weight no matter how strict I was with my diet.
    The patch leaves big sticky marks on your skin and gets gross before the week is up.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it, but the Nuva ring was awesome! (My insurance changed and now I can't afford it). But it was sooo low on hormones, I didn't especially notice any weight gain.
  • trishgrace
    Options
    I was on the patch years ago when it first came out. I liked it.
  • amarobbins
    amarobbins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used the patch for about 3 years and I loved it except that yes it did leave residue and sometimes it moved a little during the week (you put a new patch on your butt each week except the fourth week and within a few days you'll start your period).
    It was the only birth control that didn't make me sick and I never forgot it! I didn't gain weight when I was on it. I gained all this weight a year later when I became depressed about something else.
    I highly recommend the patch. Give it a try and if you have issues, stop using it and try something else.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm on the rod, so I can't help, but it's done brilliantly for me and I've not gained any weight after getting it.
  • gandssmith
    gandssmith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I had to go off the patch because of my blood pressure. Make sure if you do decide to use the patch that you monitor your blood pressure. There have actually been deaths linked to the patch and of course they don't like to advertise that. So just be aware that weight gain may not be the only side effect. I'm sure there are a lot of women who have no problem at all but it's important to know all the risks and benefits.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Nuva ring was way better than the patch. the patch catches fuzz no matter what and always looks dirty. I loved the ring. I didn't notice a weight change just more stable emotions.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I use the ortho evra patch and it is by far the best bc I've ever used. I haven't gained weight while using it either. The shot on the other hand was HORRID for me! I had my period for the 5 months I was on it!!!! grrrrr it was horrible.

Definitely recommend the patch! :)
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I've tried the patch before. I ended up allergic to it, and I don't like the fact that depending on where you put it and what season it is, it shows. I'm on the Nuva ring, and I LOVE it. :) I've been on it for almost 5 years now. No problems with it, and it's great that you only have to take it out once a month and put it in the next week. SOOO easy.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I take Yaz and haven't gained any weight ... also have used the Nuva Ring and that has very little hormones hence very little weight gain.

You can always try different methods and see which one works for you.
  • drcain
    drcain Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a hormone free IUD as birth control (but I think that it is recommended only for those who have had at least one pregnancy previously)
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    Nuva ring was way better than the patch. the patch catches fuzz no matter what and always looks dirty. I loved the ring. I didn't notice a weight change just more stable emotions.

^Agree
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have been on both the shot and the patch (to which I have been on for close to 7 years and I am still on)... Personally, I gain weight like crazy on the progestorone only BC (like the shot and what's called the mini-pill)... it's really the only time I have had an increased weight gain overtime... however, with the patch... it seems harder to lose weight with, but it doesn't really increase all that much... not as much as with the shot anyway. But this is just my personal experience.
  • ReapingMyHarvest
    ReapingMyHarvest Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    NUVA ring = a Godsent. low hormone. Started it a few months before my wedding so I wouldn't have my ToM on my honeymoon, and as a bride it was a gamble because who wants to gain weight before a wedding! However, total win! I actually was able to lose weight comfortably during those months I was on it (not because of Nuva-Ring, BUT NuvaRing did not hinder my ability to lose the 20lbs at all).

And it works. I'm not pregnant. I'm sure thats important too, right?...after the weight gain concern lol!
  • Jeanne78832
    Options
    I've always used the Mirena IUD and it works great for me. No weight gain from it and it stopped my period.
  • rosemadderv
    Options
    Honestly, it's going to be like any other BC- either your body will like it, and it will work for you or it will not. Either way, it will take about 3mo for you to adjust to it any really know.

I tried the patch a long time ago and did not like it, but it's all personal preference :) I say, go over the pro's and con's with your Dr, and realize that weight gain is a possible side affect with anything that tinkers with your hormones. Try to keep an eye out for possible symptoms, give any BC a fair chance and be willing to talk to your Dr. again in a few months if it's not right for you.

Best of luck!