Am I not eating enough?

Options
I am 23 and 168 lbs. I started running every other day for the past 3 weeks. I usually try to run about 5 laps then I alternate by running one and walking one for the rest of my 30 minutes. (10 laps is 1 mile). I am drinking more water and keeping my calorie intake the same but am seeing no results. On normal days where I don't eat out I consume an average of 1,000 calories a day and feel perfectly fine. I have been eating this way all my life. But how am I able to still gain weight with only 1,000 calories? Myfitnesspal recommends 1,550 calories on days I don't work out. THis seems like too much if I am already gaining with only 1,000 calories. Somebody please tell me what I should go by. Shouldn't staying at 1,000 calories and just exercising more work?

Replies

• ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I believe the minimum recommend calorie intake is 1200. Are you gaining muscle? Have you taken your measurements? Because you could be losing inches. You can change your calorie allowance.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Check out a few of these posts:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

And this one has a BUNCH of links to some great information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I know this isn't really an "answer" for you, but the people who've posted these know a LOT more than I do. Plus they explain it a lot better!:laugh:

IMHO I think you may be starvation mode (covered in the first link), but like I said, I don't know a lot about it. Good luck on figuring it out!:flowerforyou:
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    YOur body is working more and it needs more fuel. you need to eat your 'excercise' calories. and dont go below 1200. your body is like a fire. it cant keep going if you dont put fuel in it. I hope this helps. i know i am very direct. But i just explain things very direct. Keep working with the exercise and try to increase your calories to 1200 and you will see a difference. it may take 2-3 weeks for the weight loss to show but it will happen.
  • sequoia13
    Options
    one problem with not hitting your recommended 1200 calories a day is that starvation mode gets triggered, and when this happens your body actually stores fat. it sounds strange, i know, but eating less does not make you skinnier, unless you just dont eat, which is horrible. if you get the necessary calories in your diet, then your body triggers a message that basically says that excess fat can be burned and not stored... does that make sense? basically, try bumping up your calories to a minimum of 1200, and i believe you will see a difference.