walking over 10,000 steps a day.

How do you figure the calories burned when you walk over 10,000 steps a day. ( using a step pedometer)
I average around 11,000 total a day in my job. Just not sure how to figure calories from it...

Replies

• I don't really use the calories that I walk every day. My heart rate doesn't rise when I walk.
    I just try to do more than 10000 steps, just to make sure, I'm active enough.
    I only log exercises/training. :wink:

BTW this is the first link that came up when I googled for the topic:
    http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm
    Perhaps it helps you.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 644 Member
    Perhaps you could just account for it in your "lifestyle"; so put yourself down as active I guess?
  • I walk about 10,000 steps every time I walk my dogs. I track it with an app on my phone called "Cardio Trainer". 10,000 steps amounts to about 5.5 miles and 500-600 calories.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I have a fitbit and it calculates all that for me. It would obviously depend on your height and weight, and the intensity of your movement. To give you an idea though, 10,000 steps would take me just over an hour and a half - which for me is over 500 calories. Spread that out throughout an 8 or 10 hour shift and it wouldn't be anywhere near that burn - more like 300. Speed it up to a run and I'll burn more like 800. You just won't know unless you have a HRM, or fitbit/bodybugg/similar.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    I walk an average of 7-9 miles a day at work (a little over or under 10,000 a day just at work) so I factored that in as listing my activity level as "light active" (or whatever they call it I can't quite recall). I only actually log purposeful exercise walking as exercise. I figure that my body is used to the 7-9 miles a day at work.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    I have a fitbit and it calculates all that for me. It would obviously depend on your height and weight, and the intensity of your movement. To give you an idea though, 10,000 steps would take me just over an hour and a half - which for me is over 500 calories. Spread that out throughout an 8 or 10 hour shift and it wouldn't be anywhere near that burn - more like 300. Speed it up to a run and I'll burn more like 800. You just won't know unless you have a HRM, or fitbit/bodybugg/similar.
    hrm not accurate for walking and the like. different energy system. but from a metabolic chamber study on the subject, an hour of walking should be about 100-150 calories for your average sized female.
  • jennystime
    jennystime Posts: 7 Member
    do you really like your fitbit. thinking I really want one, to help with a more accurate count of movement...
    Jenny