Kids Lunch, need fresh ideas?

I'm running out of ideas, and my family is getting sick of the same thing all the time. (And I think I give decent variety lol).

The problem: Foods have to last a few hours not being refridgerated (just the lunch box ice pack) and no microwave to reheat foods (well my husband does, and my daughters used to but they stopped letting students use them).

Problem 2: I'm feeding a full grown man who works long shifts and a kid who always eats and is a twig(burns fuel like a hummer lol)...so I try to keep it healthy (ish) but have enough that they don't feel like they are starving.

The average lunch
Lunch meat sandwich
PB&J or PB & honey

Sides (not all in the same lunch but during the week)
Carrots, celery, cucumber
Yogurts
Grapes, apples
Cheese sticks

No drinks usually, water...or if we are having a good week might buy caprisuns.

That would be my pathetic lunches lol. I need fresh ideas! Help.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    My kids love grape tomatoes. Wraps full of veggies and meat, or "flip" sandwiches with meat, cheese, lettuce, tomato.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    My kids lunch today: Boiled some turkey breakfast sausage patties and gave them 2, served with broccoli, a nectarine, and some almonds. They have a "fruitables" juice box to have with it. Will they be teased for the good food? No, because kids aren't that brutal in the school I have the kids going to. I will also be the only father sending steak to school with my kids too so they will be getting premium foods for good learning while their peers will be eating hot dogs and other fake meats.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Have a thermos? You can send almost any soup. I like pastas as well. Steamed veggies with rice. Homemade variety of lunchables: wheat crackers, sliced cheese, sliced lunch meat. Build your own pizza: bagel thins with small containers of tomato sauce, cheese, and meat (and pineapple perhaps) plus the diced veggies. Salad: Taco salad, chef, etc. Just send the dressing separately. Baked sweet potatoes with toppings. Vegetable chips (bake thinly sliced veggies with a thin layer of olive oil in the oven at 375 for about 30 min. Check halfway, as ovens vary!) Homemade "hot pockets" Lol. I got out pie crust, lined muffin tins with it, then filled them with cheese, veggies, potatoes, meat, etc... topped and baked at 350 for 20 minutes. Kids love them. Salsa and tortilla chips.

You can also check out allrecipes.com. They have a great variety available to search.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Thanks for the ideas so far keep them coming :D. I forgot to add that I do tuna and canned chicken to sometimes. I guess I could do regular chickenc hamburger etc...but I don't know if they will eat that cold...
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    I usually double whatever I'm making for dinner the night before and pack that for my kids & myself. The rest of the time is usually sandwiches with a veg and a fruit, sometimes the sandwich might get replaced with hummus & crackers or a thermos of soup. Kind of boring but it's easy and at least there's something different every day. My youngest goes to a nut-free school which limits what I can pack more than anything else. (And I am SO not packing three different lunches, except that I give myself green beans when I give the kids peas, because peas are gross, yuck.)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    i love making my kids lunch...here are some of mine:

fruit kabobs (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, kiwi on a skewer-sometimes i throw in a couple of mini marshmallows on the kabob)
    mini crackers and turkey pepperonis
    high fiber popcorn

lean ham on a mini bagel
    no sugar applesauce cup
    grape/cherry tomatoes

salad-lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, grape tomato
    dressing in a little plastice cup (low fat)
    two cookies
    cutie (clementine)

kabobs-black olives, green olives, cubed or thick sliced ham or turkey breast, cheese cube
    celery with peanut butter
    whole wheat crackers
    grapes

these are just some lunches from this week...i also use the frozen bags of fruit, by the time its lunch time they are thawed, sliced mangos, strawberries, pineapple, etc.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Just a little list I keep handy:
    Fruits/veggies
    baby carrots
    carrots sliced into "coins" or use mini cookie cutter for small shapes
    carrot sticks
    celery sticks-plain, with p-nut butter, with cream cheese
    broccoli "trees"
    cauliflower trees
    bell peppers
    black olives
    green olives
    cherry/grape tomatoes
    mini salads-Rio loves a cherry tomato wrapped in a spinach leaf dipped in ranch dressing
    cucumber
    edamame

apples
    applesauce
    oranges
    mandarin oranges
    peaches
    pears
    plums
    pineapple
    watermelon
    canteloupe
    honeydew
    berries(strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
    tangerines
    banana
    grapes
    kiwi

Breads
    bagels
    muffins
    cornbread
    banana bread
    zucchini bread
    pumpkin bread
    whole wheat
    tortillas
    white bread
    cut bread into shapes and toast for "croutons"
    bake tortillas cut with cookie cutters and sprinkled with seasonings for "tortilla chips"
    rice balls

Hot meals
    Spaghetti-os
    Any pasta
    Noodles of any sort
    Soup for older kiddos
    leftovers

Snacks
    Chips
    Dried fruits(raisins, craisins, apples, prunes-Just Tomatoes stuff)
    Dried veggies(JT stuff)
    Trail Mix
    Nuts
    Crackers
    Granola bars
    Fruit bars(Nutrigrain/TJs This ____walks into a bar)
    cereal
    popcorn
    pretzels-hard or soft pretzels

Dairy
    yogurt(buy tubes and freeze them)
    cheese-cut into slices to top a cracker, cubes to thread with meat/veggies, Babybell(cut away part of the red wax-leave the shape of hair and put eyes and mouth on it from black olive pieces), string cheese
    cottage cheese

Spreads/dips
    Cream cheese
    nutella
    nut butter
    peanut butter
    mayo
    mustard
    Miracle Whip
    Hummus
    Ranch
    strawberry cream cheese mixed with marshmellow cream-DELICIOUS fruit dip
    yogurt to dip fruit

Meat/ protein
    Cube/slice turkey, ham, chicken
    Hot dogs
    beans (baked beans and hot dogs are one of Syd's favs)
    chicken leg(wrap end with foil for less mess)
    rolled up deli meat
    Hard Boiled Eggs
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Bumping this for later.

I pack my husband and daughter a plain wrap, with hummus and a bunch of veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion green peppers, cucumbers, sprouts, carrots, celery, whatever i have on hand) and some ranch . Then, they have the option of having a hummus and veggie wrap, or a veggie wrap with ranch, and then they have two dips to choose from for raw veggies, separately.
  • missk8t
    missk8t Posts: 6 Member
    Two things my kids love in their lunchbox is marinated chicken wing or drumette's or cold frittata's. The frittatas I usually do are something like a zucchini slice, spanish omelette or random vegetables I find in the crisper. The latest request from them also has been a pumpkin and spinach filo pie. I even eat this pie cold and it's beautiful, incredibly filling too!
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    My kids are all doing thermos a couple of times a week. Soup or rice/beans.
  • Bump!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    I love some of these ideas! My daughter has been taking a cheese, tomato and spinach wrap with a plum, a hard boiled egg and some baby carrots! I need ideas to mix it up too! :)
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    My BF's daughter loves to pack a hard boiled egg. She often does lunchables (which you could make your own-crackers, meats and cheese).She will eat a hot dog cold. I am not as concerned with the extreme health factor as she is a picky 5 year old. She is limited with sweets and juices made with HFCS when with us.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    I'm running out of ideas, and my family is getting sick of the same thing all the time. (And I think I give decent variety lol).

The problem: Foods have to last a few hours not being refridgerated (just the lunch box ice pack) and no microwave to reheat foods (well my husband does, and my daughters used to but they stopped letting students use them).

Problem 2: I'm feeding a full grown man who works long shifts and a kid who always eats and is a twig(burns fuel like a hummer lol)...so I try to keep it healthy (ish) but have enough that they don't feel like they are starving.

The average lunch
    Lunch meat sandwich
    PB&J or PB & honey

Sides (not all in the same lunch but during the week)
    Carrots, celery, cucumber
    Yogurts
    Grapes, apples
    Cheese sticks

No drinks usually, water...or if we are having a good week might buy caprisuns.

That would be my pathetic lunches lol. I need fresh ideas! Help.
    I feel for you.
    I pack my husband's lunch--he's an orthopedic nurse, and works 12 hour shifts.
    His lunches are always the "same."
    If I packed for the children, as well, I would do the "same thing."(but we homeschool)
    I put "same" in quotations, because you can make the same thing but vary the specific ingredients.
    So here's what I mean.......It is always
    Yogurt with fruit
    Sandwich
    Chips
    Drink
    Treat

But over time, the lunch has evolved in it's ingredients and is now,
    Greek yogurt with fruit, I put plain yogurt in a container and sweeten with stevia extract, and top with fresh fruit.
    Sandwich meat is usually baked chicken/bbq chicken, or homemade RB...whatever I made, and froze the leftover meat in sandwich sized portions and put them in the freezer, ready to make a sandwich. Included is cheese, usually broiled onto the bread. You can also vary the vegetables added to the sandwich, as well as the type of condiments used.
    Chips I always get from trader joes
    Drink is now always a GT Dave's kombucha, or some other fun drink.

There is no need to do some special menu. You can easily vary the ingredients in a basic menu. This way, I really don't have to think about it much.

BTW I have been making this lunch for 6 years now, and he ALWAYS says he loves it and doesn't want me to change my MO:happy:
  • tabbykat6802
    tabbykat6802 Posts: 233 Member
    I am having a very hard time w/ packing my boys' lunches b/c of the big restrictions on the food allowed. I can not send any perishable food items.(no fresh fruit/veggies/lunch meat, etc) and no ice packs. this leaves very little healthy stuff and/or variety. they been taking pb & jelly/honey/plain sandwiches for years. They are getting tired of them now.(I don't blame them). We are now trying to find healthier items to send instead of cookies, gummy snacks, etc. Any help would be appreciated.
  • brandalini
    brandalini Posts: 237 Member
    Bumping this for later

Also, my son, boyfriend and I all eat granola, greek yogurt and fruit daily and none of have gotten sick of it yet!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    I am having a very hard time w/ packing my boys' lunches b/c of the big restrictions on the food allowed. I can not send any perishable food items.(no fresh fruit/veggies/lunch meat, etc) and no ice packs. this leaves very little healthy stuff and/or variety. they been taking pb & jelly/honey/plain sandwiches for years. They are getting tired of them now.(I don't blame them). We are now trying to find healthier items to send instead of cookies, gummy snacks, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

If you're not allowed to send ice packs, can you send these? https://www.packit.com/?MID=1570731 They work really well.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member

Those are some seriously crazy restrictions. Are they trying to force you to buy school lunches? At least it doesn't sound like a nut-free school - trail mix is good, maybe popcorn for a snack. I sometimes make a savory muffin thing that I, uh, got the idea for from the prison system - you basically grind up dinner and bake it into a loaf. But I make it tasty and not punishment-y. Muffins are always good, you can put all sorts of veg & stuff in them and add chocolate and kids are happy.

Sorry I can't think of anything else - that is a really tough situation.
  • krisam007
    krisam007 Posts: 17 Member
    kids lunches:

Turkey or ham rollups with cucumber
    wraps or sandwiches
    pretzels with pb for dipping
    peppers, cukes, or carrots with hummus for dipping
    guacamole or salsa and multi grain chips
    sliced strawberries, peaches,oranges,apples, blueberries
    cashews and goldfish and raisins mixed
    OH!! A good one!! greek yogurt with FROZEN cherries, blues, straws or mangos (keeps it cold)

My kids have Planetbox lunchboxes that I am obsessed with...expensive but worth every cent!!