Sodium count

Options
if you go over on ur sodium how bad does it hurt you please help me answer thanks

Replies

• carolebville
    carolebville Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Do you have a sodium problem? Are you diagnosed with high blood pressure or other medical problems? Too much sodium, I think, makes you retain fluids. So you need to drink water to keep yourself hydrated. I hope you get others to comment to help you with this.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Not an expert, but unless you have some medical condition where it's important to keep sodium under a certain level, I think the worst thing you can expect over the short-term is water retention.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm over on my sodium all the time and it never hurt my progress. The key is if you're losing weight without worrying about it then don't worry. If you get stuck, try to go without.

Also, if you have a sodium limiting condition (heart issues), don't take more than the recommended amount.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    for most people, it isn't going to hurt weight loss at all. you might hang on to some water, so that will reflect on tomorrow's scale, if you step on. but drink lots of water, work out, and relax.

(also, make sure to keep your potassium as close to a 1:1 level as possible. that will help a lot, too.)
  • GaidenJade
    Options
    Not an expert, but unless you have some medical condition where it's important to keep sodium under a certain level, I think the worst thing you can expect over the short-term is water retention.

This^^^

If you go over in sodium, the worst you may find the next day is a pound or two (or more depending on your sensitivity to it) of water weight. That if you drink enough water, will go away within a day or two. That being said, constantly going over sodium isn't good for you. Like everything else, moderation.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A high spike in sodium can cause me to retain some fluid for a few days, but doesn't have any effect on fat loss.
  • ajones1227
    ajones1227 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I dont go over all the time but i got carried away once and went way way over my sodium level and ended up 7lbs heavier the next day. I was really worried cause i didnt understand how that could be and then i did a little reseach and found out i was carrying around excess water weight. About 5 days later i was back to normal.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So on days you go over are there any little things you can do to head off some of the water retention? I think I'm pretty sensitive especially when I'm working out 5 days a week my muscles seem to soak up that extra water 10x worse now. I'm just getting over my cheat day on Saturday.

Like today I logged my lunch when I made dinner and oops that ham sandwich had more sodium than I thought so now I'm over for the day. Should I eat an extra banana....drink lots of water....both? or any other little tips?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Excess sodium can cause water retention and it doesn't help lower anyone's chances of high blood pressure, but if you are exercising regularly, having too much here and there isn't really a big deal.

Just be careful not to eat too much excessively if your family has a history of heart disease or high blood pressure.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was put on a low sodium diet once as a precautionary measure after my BP reading was sort of high during a doctors visit (I was sick go figure). The amount they wanted me to stay below was about the same as 100% Daily Value on a 2k calorie diet. Unless you are talking multiples higher - 2x 3x higher - you are doing fine.
  • scottg1024
    Options
    For me, I use sodium as a way of watching that I don't eat too much processed food. Since it's generally sodium-laden, I watch the sodium and balance my numbers to come out in the green every day. I can recognize the water retention in my body, and I'd really rather avoid that feeling. So for me, it's more of a barometer to help me eat better things - and when I must indulge, to do it in moderation.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So on days you go over are there any little things you can do to head off some of the water retention? I think I'm pretty sensitive especially when I'm working out 5 days a week my muscles seem to soak up that extra water 10x worse now. I'm just getting over my cheat day on Saturday.

Like today I logged my lunch when I made dinner and oops that ham sandwich had more sodium than I thought so now I'm over for the day. Should I eat an extra banana....drink lots of water....both? or any other little tips?
    Just the act of logging will help you learn to avoid excess sodium.
    Not that you HAVE to, as others have said.
    I began to track it recently, and was surprised at the sodium in pizza lol...I had no idea!
    I just happen to HATE water retention. After 5 pregnancies you might understand why haha!
    But I have noticed that, the more the fat trims off my body, the less of an issue I have with water retention.
    That body fat holds excess water!

So the way I deal with water retention, is, I fill a big glass jar with ice and water and juice of a lemon, and drink that for hydration.
    The jar used to hold marinara sauce and holds over 24oz
    I have not researched it, but have read lemon is a natural diuretic. Seems to work!
    And keeps the digestion moving along, too.
    Fluid retention can take one to a few days to leave.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've read a passage one Livestrong.org about sodium and found that for me & FH both having high blood pressure, 1500 mg of sodium or less is best for us. So now that we have that number from here on out we try not to go over. Just another tid bit of info that I found when reading nutrition facts (on everything I eat these day's), foods that are not processed also have sodium in it too, like 320 mg of sodium in raw, skinless chicken breast (Yikes) :noway: hence portion control!
  • Brendajo510
    Options

Agreed. One time I went over a lot and I felt it. It was disappointing to see the weight gain but then a few days later it was gone.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've read a passage one Livestrong.org about sodium and found that for me & FH both having high blood pressure, 1500 mg of sodium or less is best for us. So now that we have that number from here on out we try not to go over. Just another tid bit of info that I found when reading nutrition facts (on everything I eat these day's), foods that are not processed also have sodium in it too, like 320 mg of sodium in raw, skinless chicken breast (Yikes) :noway: hence portion control!

This. Heart problems and strokes are bad. Sodium contributes to this for many people - particularly people of African ancestry. It is also really bad for people who are prone towards diabetes and have circulation problems because water retention can make your feet swell.

And if you don't drink enough water when youj're eating high sodium, it throws your whole system off.

Besides, it makes you read food labels - always a good thing.

Though I was trying to figure out why my sodium was high for me today (1700) and it was from SWISS CHARD! I knew tomatoes were high, but chard? Turns out it has 100mg/leaf. Who knew?
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Basically you retain water. Problem is there is alot of sodium in everything these days. 2000-2500mg is my limit normally but it seems to be impossible when you have a social life.

You can get rid of sodium by drinking ALOT of water or exercising to the point where you can sweat it out.