Help-easier fix or straight to the doctor?

Options
Hi board. Need some advice.

I really overindulged 3-4 days ago and ate more than I think I have ever eaten. Pizza, bread, chips, BBQ, and on and on. I think I have hurt myself. I had a terrible stomach pain that kind of went away after taking some Milk of Magnesia. But, I have not been able to take a good poop and evacuate. I can feel my intestines full and the pressure is uncomfortable. I take Metamusile regularly and that has not helped this time. Thanks for your input.

R

Replies

• Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Eat some kiwi fruit
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    take a stool softener and drink extra water. in 12 hours it should be flowing.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    If you don't normally drink coffee a strong cup of coffee might help.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Since you already tried milk of Mg I would say that you should make an appointment now for as soon as is feasible. If you feel better, cancel the appointment with the required amount of time left (usually 24 hours, but ask them). As someone who has been to the ER with constipation in the past, I'm really hesitant to tell you to just wait and see. In general, if you think you need a doctor, you probably should go to be safe. ER bills are way higher than office calls.

I agree with the water in the mean time. It's kinda a do no harm thing.
  • tlsayers00
    tlsayers00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It can take a few days to kick in and then a couple of days to get it all out of your system after eating really badly. That happens to me when I go visit family and over indulge several days in a row. My stomach is a mess for up to 4 days sometimes before I start feeling back to normal!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Take some acidophilus or a probiotic. Not sure if I spelled correctly, but you get the point.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hi board. Need some advice.

I really overindulged 3-4 days ago and ate more than I think I have ever eaten. Pizza, bread, chips, BBQ, and on and on. I think I have hurt myself. I had a terrible stomach pain that kind of went away after taking some Milk of Magnesia. But, I have not been able to take a good poop and evacuate. I can feel my intestines full and the pressure is uncomfortable. I take Metamusile regularly and that has not helped this time. Thanks for your input.

R

it isn't uncommon for adults to go once or twice a week... (every 4 days is about the limit...) I think you should drink LOTS of water... too much fiber can be almost just as damaging as too little...
    you can take the MOM a couple times... if it doesn't work and you haven't gone in a week call the doc
  • racbergs
    Options
    Try massaging your belly... That's what I do for my little boy when he's having issues, helps move things along :) Don't see why it wouldn't work for a big person!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you had a lot of salt when you over indulged, I would just drink a bunch of water if I were you. Last time I had that issue I just kept drinking until everything was flowing right again- it only took a couple of hours to get back in motion. Try a nice cup of coffee too, that always works for my boyfriend, he hates coffee, but it always works so he'll suffer through a cup or two. Hot lemon water can work nicely as well. If you start feeling terrible pain, I'd go straight to the doctor.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Try some plum smart juice and then go on a nice long walk...things may be moving by the time you get home.
  • tenshiblue
    tenshiblue Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have digestive issues and gut problems. I would try this. It's awesome because it heals your gut. It has a mild laxative effect.

When I take it, I actually feel a soothing/cooling sensation as I take it.

http://www.shop.com/angelstar/603891601-p+260.xhtml?vid=243396&sourceid=1170
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    eat a handful of sugar free candy of some kind.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also a heating pad may help. It sometimes helps me get moving. Too much fiber can block you up if you don't drink enough water. That's how I ended up in the ER. Drink water.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    1. drink a ton of water. Try for a gallon.
    2. Abdominal massage. Here is a Youtube video expalining how to self massage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39GIWquhWg
    3. Probiotic supplements.
    4. Exercise, especially fast walking/ jogging.
    5. Miralax is a gentle laxative that is non-habit forming and non-stimulant.

If you have been unable to pass stool for a week, then definitely call your doctor.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    don't listen to anyone unless they say GO TO THE DOCTORS NOW. Its most probalby nothing but you may have a blockage which could proove very very dangerious if you leave it. Don' get scared,the chances are very much that ther is nothing wrong but it could be something very serious so get it checked out (Speaing from having my son almost die last year because of something that sounds very similar to what you have described) :-) It really is most probalby just something trivial but its not worth the risk
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree--go to the doctor! Better safe then sorry. My mom had a blockage last year that ruptured-she passed away from sepsis resulting from the rupture. Everyday our family lives with the "what ifs"...

DO NOT take chances!

If things go back to normal then oh well, you got a checkup...if not and you need immediate attention..you and your family will be grateful!

Please keep us posted..hope your better soon and it's nothing to worry about...but please don't take chances.
  • romping
    romping Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I made an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow morning. I will keep you all up to date. Thank you!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    don't listen to anyone unless they say GO TO THE DOCTORS NOW. Its most probalby nothing but you may have a blockage which could proove very very dangerious if you leave it. Don' get scared,the chances are very much that ther is nothing wrong but it could be something very serious so get it checked out (Speaing from having my son almost die last year because of something that sounds very similar to what you have described) :-) It really is most probalby just something trivial but its not worth the risk

To be fair, just because you go to the doctor doesn't mean you will be properly diagnosed and spared from sudden death. I went to the doctor 3 times (once to my gp, twice to two different doctors in urgent care- I have fairly good health insurance and have access to great healthcare networks) due to stomach pain; they sent me home each of those times saying I had IBS or gas, only to find a week or so after my last visit that my appendix had a tear in it and was slowly leaking into my body and nearly killed me. If you just haven't pooped in a couple days and you aren't in pain, you are likely fine- no need to be an alarmest. Nobody should take serious health advice from an online forum anyway.