Too much Protein!?

Options
Everyday I go over my allotted amount of protein! I'm trying to stay around 1200 cal/day so I'm supposed to be around 45g of protein. I am always over. Is it really bad to have too much protein? It's mainly coming from protein shakes, yogurts, and lean meats and veggies.

Replies

• joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    dont worry about it, the protein settings are too low on mfp. i try to eat 150-180 on workout days and 100+ on non workout days
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to go over on protein. You actually need more than MFP allows. Don't worry about it.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No worries unless you have a medical condition and your doctor has ordered you to restrict your protein intake.
  • Lizisgonnalose
    Lizisgonnalose Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over my protein goal, but I stay where I should for my calories. I found that I stay fuller longer when I get in plenty of protein at each meal/snack.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Too much protein in your diet can be detrimental to good health.
  • lzivney
    Options
    Could you explain more how? Thanks so much!
  • germantexasgirl4ever
    Options
    protein can be bad for your health but that is for someone with an underlying health condition (primarily kidney issues but liver too). If you are exercising regularly and drinking plenty of water you should be fine and yes MFP has under estimated the protein because I go over in my protein daily but still stay under in calories and other areas and still consistently am losing. Hope that helps. Any other concerns I suggest just see your doctor and ask him if he can run any test to see if you're affecting your kidneys.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Could you explain more how? Thanks so much!

Excessive protein levels can be bad for your kidneys and liver, but only if you already have an existing disease or problems.

For the meantime, the 45g level set on MFP is wayyyyy too low.

A lot of sources say the recommended amount is 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass you have.

Lean body mass is your total weight, subtracting yourbody fat%

e.g. Someone weighs 150lbs and has a bf% of 25, their lbm (lean body mass) is 112.5lbs, so they should aim for around 100-120g protein a day.
  • DanielRyd
    Options
    Too much lean meats I.e. Deer and rabbit can be bad but as long as there is a fat content with in the meat it's fine, as for protien shakes they come balanced in a way that is fine
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to go over on protein. You actually need more than MFP allows. Don't worry about it.

Saying it's fine to go over on protein is one thing. But to suggest that one actually NEEDS more...

The following linked article may seem too alarmist for most here, but it may help temper the overwhelmingly pro-protein bias too often displayed here on MFP boards:
    http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-how-safe-are-protein-drinks-and-powders.html