Achilles tendons and shins

Options
I think that I really need to strengthen my achilles tendons and shins! Anyone else have issues with shin splints and their achilles tendon? If I strengthen these muscles (ligaments), will it help heal them better and faster?

Replies

• chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chris1529
    Options
    Anyone?? lol
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i don't have shin splints or technical Achilles tendon issues but i do have Plantar Fasciitis and Plantar Fibromatosis in both feet, although my right one is a lot more painful then my left one..and its because my Achilles tendon is shorter then it should be apparently....my Podiatrist told me to stretch my Achilles tendon daily..3-4 times a day to help. Not sure if this helps your issue or not though. Good Luck!
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've never had any Achilles issues, but I have shin splints occasionally. When I first started regularly working out, I had major pain. I didn't do anything special to strengthen them, but it went away eventually. You may want to look up some stretches specifically for shins. If you have a lot of pain, you may also want to try using a foam roller.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Check with a dr first to make sure all is ok...

I have plantar faciitis and tendontist of the achilles on my left foot. I had to stop all exercise for almost 6 weeks to let the inflammation heal. I finally have been cleared by my dr to start exercising again. So be very careful.

A few stretchies to do...hang foot off a step, drop heal down to floor and then raise up on toes. Roll ball or frozen water bottle under arch of foot. Place toes of one foot against the wall and lean into foot to stretch the achilles and shins.Toe tap the floor, do plies squats with heels raised...these are just a few.

Also, ask dr about orthotics...and how are your running shoes? Fitted properly?

If they are inflammed, especially the achilles, rest is what you need to let it heal.
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think that I really need to strengthen my achilles tendons and shins! Anyone else have issues with shin splints and their achilles tendon? If I strengthen these muscles (ligaments), will it help heal them better and faster?

good stretches found here http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html

good luck...
  • Dean513
    Options
    If you're already having tendon issues, stretching exercises are going to help more than trying to strengthen. Check out mobilitywod.com, it has many exercises to help increase your range of motion. You may want to look into putting KT tape, or similar on your achilles tendon while it is healing, I use it whenever my achilles flares up.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Check with a dr first to make sure all is ok...

I have plantar faciitis and tendontist of the achilles on my left foot. I had to stop all exercise for almost 6 weeks to let the inflammation heal. I finally have been cleared by my dr to start exercising again. So be very careful.

A few stretchies to do...hang foot off a step, drop heal down to floor and then raise up on toes. Roll ball or frozen water bottle under arch of foot. Place toes of one foot against the wall and lean into foot to stretch the achilles and shins.Toe tap the floor, do plies squats with heels raised...these are just a few.

Also, ask dr about orthotics...and how are your running shoes? Fitted properly?

If they are inflammed, especially the achilles, rest is what you need to let it heal.

My shoes are Asics Duomax. I got them a couple of months ago. I saw a video on the heel drop exercise you mentioned but I'm wondering if that will make it worse cause of all that stretching associated with it. One time I was doing laundry and I had to reach up high on my tippy toes to get detergent and I felt this pop in the back of my ankle/heel area. It didn't hurt but it felt a little strange and scared me! My doctor mentioned stretching my achilles tendon and calves regularly but not sure of why that happened. I had it happen another time but now I just try not to reach to high on my tippy toes.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

good stretches found here http://www.self.com/fitness/blogs/freshfitnesstips/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st.html

good luck...

Thanks for the link.....

I have had shin splints for the last 2-3 years. Mine dont go away . When i first got them from over use i tried to let them heal....but started a medication called Cipro and one of the side effects ( i found out too late) was that if you already have any shin or achilles issues this may cause permanent damage. So, now i just live with it and try not to over do it. Im going to hurt no matter whether i rest them or not. Occasionally i will wear shin braces or compression sleeves which help while i am exercising.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the shin splints but I tore my achilies tendon years ago and reinjured it about 1 1/2 years ago now. I was in a boot for 19 week. 24 hours a day other than to bathe. Thank goodness didn't have to have surgery! All I can say is be very careful. Best to talk to a foot doctor. My family doctor had me stretching it and I was doing more damage to it. Good luck to you! Hope this helps.
  • chris1529
    Options

good luck...

Thanks for the link.....

I have had shin splints for the last 2-3 years. Mine dont go away . When i first got them from over use i tried to let them heal....but started a medication called Cipro and one of the side effects ( i found out too late) was that if you already have any shin or achilles issues this may cause permanent damage. So, now i just live with it and try not to over do it. Im going to hurt no matter whether i rest them or not. Occasionally i will wear shin braces or compression sleeves which help while i am exercising.

Funny you mention Cipro cause I have taken that medicine a few times!
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I've just read recently that a lower heel to toe drop helps immensely for shin splints, and should do the same for stretching your achilles. (i.e. Flatter heels...many shoes have specs that tell you the heel to toe drop, the smaller the number the better. Many of the "free" style shoes have a lower drop.) Many also don't have much support, so you may want to talk to someone knowledgeable of your situation & ask questions (like at Fleet Feet).
  • DOROTHY1034
    DOROTHY1034 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tore my achilles tendon about six years ago and boy was that a pain trying to get it healed. There were times I could hardly walk. Did a lot of therapy and had it in a boot for about a month. Finally had to change Dr.s due to change in insurance at work. He said I actually qualified for surgery, but after reading about it, no way. We tried one last round of therapy with a different physical therapy place. They had me do very little stretching but used the I think it is called Ionophoresis or something like that. Three times a week for a month. Have not had any problems since. I actually to exercises to keep both achilles strengthened. There was just an article about athlets that don't have ankle injuries using braces and tape as a preventative, and they say that weakens these areas. Strenthening is a much better preventative unless you have a current injury. Have to admit it took me a long time to feel comfortable not wearing a brace for that achilles, I was so afraid of injuring it again. I do wear a knee brace sometimes due to some previous knee issues, but only when I'm doing a strenuous activity. Hope that helps.
  • chris1529
    Options
    Tore my achilles tendon about six years ago and boy was that a pain trying to get it healed. There were times I could hardly walk. Did a lot of therapy and had it in a boot for about a month. Finally had to change Dr.s due to change in insurance at work. He said I actually qualified for surgery, but after reading about it, no way. We tried one last round of therapy with a different physical therapy place. They had me do very little stretching but used the I think it is called Ionophoresis or something like that. Three times a week for a month. Have not had any problems since. I actually to exercises to keep both achilles strengthened. There was just an article about athlets that don't have ankle injuries using braces and tape as a preventative, and they say that weakens these areas. Strenthening is a much better preventative unless you have a current injury. Have to admit it took me a long time to feel comfortable not wearing a brace for that achilles, I was so afraid of injuring it again. I do wear a knee brace sometimes due to some previous knee issues, but only when I'm doing a strenuous activity. Hope that helps.

Little stretching? What is lonophoresis?
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • chris1529
    Options
    bump
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've just read recently that a lower heel to toe drop helps immensely for shin splints, and should do the same for stretching your achilles. (i.e. Flatter heels...many shoes have specs that tell you the heel to toe drop, the smaller the number the better. Many of the "free" style shoes have a lower drop.) Many also don't have much support, so you may want to talk to someone knowledgeable of your situation & ask questions (like at Fleet Feet).

Shins, yes - you will generally run with your feet underneath you more, which will help here.

Achilles, no - If you are currently having pain, then the lower heel to toe drop puts much more stress on the achilles, doing this while it is already stressed is a bad idea, if you do try, then let it become fully healed/recovered and then build slowly so you do not develop achilles teninitis, as it takes a long time to heal (meaning no or very little running) and if it becomes chronic it is will dog you forever.

There are stretches and strengthing exercises for the achilles, a good one is to stand on a stair with you heals hanging over and lift up onto your toes, Google, or check out runnersworld.com for some specifics.

FWIW, my wife had pretty bad achilles issues, and you are on the right track, strengthen/streching is a part of her physical therapy to prevent issues going forward.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Most of my clients that have these kinds Of problems I recommomend that If nothing else they get a golf ball and roll it under each foot for 2-5 minutes everyday ( obviously along with other treatments tailored to the individual) its amazing what a big difference such a small thing can make.

Also remember out bodies are all connected
    Just yesterday I had a friend come to me with Lower leg issues, plantar facia, shins, gastrocnemius etc..
    To treat I I worked on her back. Yes that's right.
    The tightness of muscles in her back were lifting her posterior pelvis giving her an anterior tilt causing her to probate when she walked causing all these lower leg issues.

Sometimes the source Of a problem isn't always where it presents itself first
  • chris1529
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try that!