Brand spanking new

Options
Hello all,

I've been struggling for several years with my weight. I've lost down to 184lbs, but never farther than that. I'm hardly active other than the walks to my classes every day. Right now I weigh a dream crushing 210lbs... But I want to be thinner. I've just never had anyone to really help and support me to my goal. My goal is to be that girl I see walking in the mall that I'm jealous of, you know, the one who looks so nice and confident because she isn't carrying so much extra weight? My goal weight is in the range of 120-135lbs. I know I have a large amount of weight to lose, but I want to lose it so much more than I want anything else. I plan to start trying to eat healthier and to exercise on a workout bike at least three times a week at thirty minutes to an hour at a time. If anyone has any advice for me or wants to help me achieve my goals, I would gladly listen and appreciate it.

Thanks much,
Brittany

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to - but please do it the right way. Making it a lifestyle change will lead to LASTING weight loss....

Eat enough - and make smart food choices.
    incorporate strength training into your work out routines. 3 days a week strength training, 3-4 days a week cardio.... If you're doing strength training and cardio on the same day - do strength first, every time. barbie weights will do nothing, lift heavy.
    don't be afraid to try new things.

About me....
    SW 303.4
    CW 188.8
    goal weight 160
    5'6'', 30 y/o. Made my lifestyle change 1/1/11.
  • Ythiel
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Hopefully, you'll reach your goal.. :)

I'm sure you will!
  • joywo
    joywo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same "envy" gene in me. But, we have to be the best WE can be. We won't look like anyone else. Find an exercise you enjoy. the bike 3 times a week is monotonous, unless, of course, you enjoy it. Find the best time of day for you to exercise that you can schedule into your day, like a class. For me, it's my lunch break. I don't care if I get a little sweaty, I don't stink and make-up and hairspray fixes everything.
    My husband can get up and work out at 5:30a.m. on the equipment we have at home. I am not a morning work out person. I can work out after work, if I don't go home first. Find a class and don't be embarrassed. Just DO something, anything, just MOVE everyday!

I'm on my journey too but love the support from this site and hope I can offer support in return.
  • graceacruz
    graceacruz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Brittany,

It is possible! You've taken the first step by having the desire to make a change. I think this is a great place for support and encouragement, to get you through those times where you might otherwise feel like giving up! Believe me, I understand what a challenge it can be, both fitting in the time for exercise (esp. with school) and also having the energy to do it! I am in my third year of medical school, and about 50-75% of the time, I'm supposed to be at the hospital by 5 AM and then don't get home until 6 PM. The LAST thing I want to do at that point is exercise... and sadly, I am just not willing to get up at 2:30 AM so I can go to the gym before "work"! I figure it this way... if I can get my eating habits under control, and a few pounds lost, then I will have more energy. That way, when I do have a little free time, I will be more inclined to so something active. One step at a time!

Hang in there and keep your eye on the goal. You can do this!!

Best,
    Grace