Do you eat back your exercise calories?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I ignore exercise calories so the exercise log is just to track time spent exercising for me. Exercise calories are highly over rated. You can't exercise away eating too much food. I learned this the hard way most of my life running marathon after marathon (and lifting) and not being able to lose weight and in fact continued to gain year after year. And I don't pig out, binge, snack mindlessly, eat out of boredom, etc, but the portion sizes are too big for a small person like me. (Well I wasn't small when I weighed over 170 lbs at 51'0"!)

Anyway I found what worked for me was separating out the two things:

Eat less to lose weight
    Exercise to maintain or build lean body mass
    end of story.

I found just ignoring all the complicated stuff everyone throws at us is the key. Day in and day out focus on two things. Eat lless, move more, stay within calorie budget (either weekly or daily). You can eat low one day and high the next, whatever you want. Well, it did work for me. I am the fittest, leanest, strongest, and most muscular I've ever been in my life at age 51 and I'm healthy and don't get sick and have long endurance.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

Define eat less. I eat less than my TDEE (which is over 3200 calories a day) and I eat 2600 calories to cut body fat. I have gone from 18% to 12% (rechecking in 45 more days). I can tell you when I ate 1800 calories, not only did I maintain my body fat percentage, I also did not lose weight nor did I lose inches. I have also worked with over 200 men and women on this board who had similar issues. All low calorie (did not eat back exercise calories or ate at too aggressive of a goal [2 lbs per week with 20 lbs to lose]) and withing a month of eating more calories, all but 2 of them started to lose fat and weight.

Now, the question is what are you advocating? Are we talking less than TDEE, are we talking 500 calories a day, are we talking 1500 calories a day, etc.. Now another variable you might have, that many do not, is your age. At 50+ years old, its very natural that a body decreases it's metabolic rate. And even more so if you did a lot of crash diets a throughout the years.. so it's quite possible that a body adapted to maintain body fat until you hit 1200 calories a day. This is also not uncommon in women who have gone through menopause. So yes, while you have an impressive story (as I have read it), it will not, in my personal opinion, work for many people on here.

Below is something to consider. I know it's a small sample study, but people expect quick results around here, lol. The main thing to take away from it is a trend. Those who do not eat some of their exercise calories (I say some as MFP can over estimate and people should eat 50-75% of them or include exercise as part of your lifestyle) tend to lose more weight from muscle than those who eat back exercise calories. I will note, that the more lbm you have, the leaner and tighter body will be. I will also note for those who say, "I will worry about weight now and once I reach my goal, I will worry about muscle or gain some back", that it's a lot easier to lose muscle that increase muscle. Most women can only gain 10 ish lbs a year, maybe 15-20 if it's their first year trying. So I always say, set yourself up to meet your long term goal befoe your short term goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am using a registered dietitian. She has never told me to eat back my exercise cals, but has stressed the importance of never going below actually consuming 1200 cals. She knows I use MFP and uses it herself and has never suggested that I eat all that. She uses the my plate standards. We only need so many serving of each group at day, and they should be healthy choices. So if you've gotten all those serving in, and your at 1400, and burn 500 exercising, I dont see why you need 300-500 cals more of what your body doesn't need? You've already met requirements. Rest is not needed. It's like when the vending machine says $1 but you put ,in $2 and then leave the change, doesn't make sense! Ha ha, so I'd say as long as your diet is mindful of health and getting in the groups, you don't need to eat more. Just remember to eat balanced, not just to lose weight but for total health :-) hope this helps your thought process and decision you make for yourself!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    FML, it's no use
  • tourettte
    tourettte Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    if I ate them i'd probably spend my evenings throwing up from being sick from too much food. I can't eat that much. i barely reach 1000.

Then you should really think about adding more healthy fats and such to your diet. Your body needs energy!
    cold pressed olive oil is the one i use 90% of the time.
    fresh homegrown fruit and vegetables, meat (and fish) naturally bred.
    My father makes the olive oil and mediterranean groceries and uncle supplies meat from mountains :) I've been eating like this most of my life. what got me fat was the attack about 12 years ago i started to avoid going out unless it was necessary (exams ) eating takeout, lying in my bed all the time (and according to my therapist eating myself to a point where i could be sure no man would ever try to touch/hurt me). I've been back to my old self for some time now.
    By going back to healthy food in two years I went from 250 to 224 and since i started to exercise more and track everything with MFP this summer I came down to 209. I don't feel tired, exhausted etc. I am energized, happy, sleep better....my boss started to call me firecracker...That's why i said it's not always about the method we use. the cause has a lot to do with it too.
    Most women in my family are thin, fit, healthy within the same amount of calories I consume, but they have more physical activity.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I made a post about net calories a while ago, but now I'm just wondering - do you eat back your exercise calories?

My calorie goal is 1200 a day, and I eat that, but when I exercise every day my net calories are somewhere between 800 and 900 calories. I'm worrying this is too little and that I need to eat them back.

I've found two sorts of people on this site and they're split down the middle - those who eat back their exercise calories and say that they hit a plateau when they didn't, and those who have had great weight loss results not eating them back and never hit a plateau.

I really don't want to end up having to get myself out of a plateau!

I guess everyone's body is just different, but I figured I'd do this as somewhat of a poll so I could get as many opinions as possible on making my decision to eat back those calories or not.

A plateau would be a loss of 0.0 on your weigh in time right? So if you have your weight loss set for 2.0 lbs per week it is going to restrict your calories by a 1,000 calorie deficit for you to achieve that goal. But if you eat over your 1200 minimum goal (hypothetically) you would only be eating into your deficiency and not into the "eat this and you will be more over weight or plateau" range. The thing is, anything over 1,000 calories deficit is going to hurt your organs (something you can not feel because there are no pain fibers on your internal organs).
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you want to compromise, you could eat your TDEE on days you exercise and let whatever you burn be your deficit. You won't be overfeeding or starving yourself that way.

As for me, I exercise pretty much just so I can have that bowl of ice cream after dinner or that cookie in the afternoon.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I am using a registered dietitian. She has never told me to eat back my exercise cals, but has stressed the importance of never going below actually consuming 1200 cals. She knows I use MFP and uses it herself and has never suggested that I eat all that. She uses the my plate standards. We only need so many serving of each group at day, and they should be healthy choices. So if you've gotten all those serving in, and your at 1400, and burn 500 exercising, I dont see why you need 300-500 cals more of what your body doesn't need? You've already met requirements. Rest is not needed. It's like when the vending machine says $1 but you put ,in $2 and then leave the change, doesn't make sense! Ha ha, so I'd say as long as your diet is mindful of health and getting in the groups, you don't need to eat more. Just remember to eat balanced, not just to lose weight but for total health :-) hope this helps your thought process and decision you make for yourself!

The point is that 1200 is ALREADY a deficit. So if you eat 1400 and do 200 in exercise, you are at still at 1200 which is a deficit so you will lose. The 1200 number is not a maintenance number.
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explaining this so I could understand!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I don't, not because I don't want to, but because it's so flipping hard for me to eat THAT MUCH good food. I'm trying to eat very clean food with very specific macro splits, and it's just too hard to do it. I have tried and ended up feeling disgusting. I say see what works for you; listen to your body and be willing to try different approaches till something clicks.

Clean eating is 100% not required for weight loss.

I know that, but that's something I'm choosing to do. As I workout more, I may feel more hungry and I will eat more then; I'm not disposed to any unhealthy ED-type behaviors, so I'm just listening to my body. I'm not going to stuff myself just to meet the numbers.
  • danadi
    Options
    I like your rational approach to all this. Thanks for sharing your wisdom!
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat them all; sometimes I go over in a day; sometimes a bit under, but I try to reconcile within 24-48 hours bc that's what works best for my energy level.

I exercise a lot, because my job is teaching dance and fitness (specifically, spin). I teach about 20 hours a week, and outside of that, I also go road cycling, paddleboarding, and I enjoy lifting heavy objects and putting them back down :)

I eat A LOT of calories, and I burn a lot of calories.

Anyway, here's an old post of mine which may interest you:

From one of my old posts from a similar topic:

OK. I'm gonna give this a shot. I am an avid lifelong athlete. I have never been overweight, however, I used to eat too few calories (without knowing it), and a couple years ago, I actually GAINED weight bc of having slowed my metabolism to the point that every little extra treat I ate caused a weight gain, even though overall my calories were too low. THIS DOES HAPPEN.

It is also the reason so many fat people stay fat. They restrict their calories so low, slow their metabolisms, binge (even a little), gain weight, restrict more . . . . and so on and so on. But they are still fat.

It is also the reason most people can't lose that last 10-20 lbs. For real.

1. MFP has a deficit built in. Let's say you're trying to lose 1 lb/ week. That is a 500/day deficit from your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs to complete basic functions.

2. You exercise and burn 500 calories. Now you are at a 1000 deficit. If you eat back those 500 exercise calories, you refuel your body and you still have a 500 deficit for that 1 lb loss. If you DON'T eat back those calories, you have too little fuel. This is bad. This is too much of a deficit for basic functions. If you do this for a long time, you will STOP LOSING WEIGHT. Why? bc your metabolism will slow down -- it's like a brownout--not quite enough electricity to make the whole city (your body) run, so it has to slow down some things. You will probably start being tired a lot, your skin and hair might start to look worse, and you might even gain weight. But you might NOT be hungry -- your body is getting used to fewer calories. That's bad.

That's when you start to gain weight. Let's say you're running along, eating 1200 calories a day, and exercising 400 calories a day, so net is 800. You're losing, you think this is great. You keep doing it, but after a while you stop losing. hmmmmm. One weekend you go out to a special event and have a slice of pizza and a beer. 1 slice of pizza and 1 beer. So you ate maybe 2000 calories that day and exercised off 400, so net 1600. BOOM! You gain 3 lbs! What?!

Next, you freak out and restrict yourself down to 1000 calories a day and work out extra hard, burning 500 calories. Great, netting 500 now. You don't lose any weight, but you sure feel tired. Better get some red bull.

Are you getting the picture?

EDIT: When you work out, you need fuel. Food is fuel. If you don't eat back those exercise calories, you will not only have a big calorie deficit, you will have an ENERGY deficit. Remember, the calorie deficit for weight loss is built in when you use MFP. Exercising basically earns you more calories because you must refuel.
    --

There are many people who will tell you not to eat exercise calories. Before you take their advice, you might want to see whether they are at goal, have EVER been at goal, or have ever been able to maintain at goal. If anyone says to you 'THE LAST TIME I LOST WEIGHT", just stop listening right there.

Ask some athletes whether or not they replenish their bodies with food equal to the calories they burn. Ask people who are fit and have achieved and maintained a healthy weight for some years. Don't ask people who count walking across a parking lot as exercise.

Here's an interesting case study about how to stay fat while consuming only 700 calories a day. Take a moment, you'll be glad you did:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

blessings.
  • skdrake
    Options
    I have always ate them back...period. Most people that don't, do not understand that MFP has a deficit already built in....or some say they tried and it "doesn't work", ie they gain. Key is...you should be weighing/measuring your food accurately and wearing a HRM to accurately track your burns if you are going to eat them back, otherwise you're just guessing at everything.

I am new to the site and still working it out. So if my goal is 1200, I have burned 400 calories and now it shows my goal for the day is 1600 calories that I should eat??
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I have always ate them back...period. Most people that don't, do not understand that MFP has a deficit already built in....or some say they tried and it "doesn't work", ie they gain. Key is...you should be weighing/measuring your food accurately and wearing a HRM to accurately track your burns if you are going to eat them back, otherwise you're just guessing at everything.

I am new to the site and still working it out. So if my goal is 1200, I have burned 400 calories so it shows my goal for the day is now 1600 calories that I should eat??

Yep. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For all those who do not eat back exercise calories, I would like to challenge you to start tracking body fat. Buy some calipers from amazon or your local nutrition shop and see how much lbm you lose. You might change your ways shortly after you realize weight loss is from muscle.

And just for fun, below are two links to what happens when you eat at a surplus level and gain muscle). So instead of waiting to gain muscle, why don't you preserve what you have to make this a lot easier.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat+vs
  • skdrake
    Options
    Agreed! I think this can be a bit decieving. If you burn 300 calories,it doesnt make sense to add that back to eat more for the day. Seems that defeats the purpose. I want that to come out of the reserve I have already built up!

Then it is clear you do not understand how MFP works.

I do now! I have been reading the links and some of the blogs. Good information and this makes sense to me. Thanks all - this has been helpful.
  • skdrake
    Options
    thanks! Very helpful.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty much all of my exercise cals.

I exercise to improve my cardiovascular health and endurance (cardio), as well as my strength, flexibility and body composition (weights). There's already a 500 calorie deficit built in to my goals to help me make steady progress with weight loss.

And I'm HUNGRY on workout days. My body needs the fuel.
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat some of them. If not, I keep some of them. I see nothing wrong with eating them back as it's your net you should be concerned about. I look at it as extra credit if I don't but don't feel guilty if I do.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • jenmurray116
    jenmurray116 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I for the most part always eat back my exercise calories - if my body is working harder on a day I'm working out than on a day I'm not, it needs more fuel. I exercise to get stronger and leaner, not for a big calorie burn. I want this to be for life and the rest of my life can't be spent at bare minimum calories - I'd rather be used to having them now, then trying to add them in when maintaining.

But, that's just me :)