Endometrial ablation -- who's had it?

Options
rml_16
rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
Or whose wives/girlfriends/mother have had it?

So, I have to have my Mirena out because it's causing weight issues and I'm sick of it. That means back on the pill because without hormonal BC, my periods are horrendous.

I had looked up ablation before, but what I read was that it can be painful, a relatively long recovery and isn't 100% at abating heavy periods.

Just got back from a talk with the gyno and she said it works 80% of the time, and the other 20% is usually because of fibroids, an oversized uterus or some other issue I don't have. She said I could have the ablation and a tubal and never have to worry about BC again.

So ... before I make my decision, anyone have any experience with it?

Replies

• rml_16
    Options
    Bump? No one?
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had it and I was one of the "lucky" few who it didn't work on...... :(
    I can't take BC pills because of the hormones....again one of the "lucky" few who had blood clots in both lungs!

My next step is a hysterectomy.

So good luck!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh no!

Sorry if this is too personal (and you can answer in PM if you need to), but was there a reason it didn't work? From what I've read, the recovery is pretty long and it can be painful. I don't want to go through all that for nothing ...

My periods aren't so awful that I'm completely out of commission or anything, but since I don't want more kids, I don't see the point of having to deal with them anymore if I can help it. I've been on BC pills for years before my IUD and no serious problems, so I'm not very worried about that. It just money and a PITA anymore.

"Younger women are less likely than older women to respond to endometrial ablation. After an endometrial ablation, younger women are more likely to continue to have periods and need a repeat procedure."

What is the definition of "younger"???
  • crw72209
    crw72209 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sent you a PM
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've had this done in 2006. It did get rid of my periods for a few years and they came back. They aren't as bad as they were before the ablation. The recovery was maybe 2 days. I went back to work the next day, but I have a desk job. This is just my experience with it, everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've had this done in 2006. It did get rid of my periods for a few years and they came back. They aren't as bad as they were before the ablation. The recovery was maybe 2 days. I went back to work the next day, but I have a desk job. This is just my experience with it, everyone is different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks! Just trying to gather info to make an informed decision. It seems like recovery isn't nearly as bad as I thought, and I also have a desk job and can work from home if I need to do so.

I'm leaning in this direction. I have an appointment next Tuesday to get the Mirena out, so I want to decide by then.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My friend had it due to heavy periods and it worked.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Had it done last year. PM me and I will gladly answer any questions.
  • fitandstrongmommy
    Options
    I had it done in 2008 due to heavy painful periods, The recovery time was a couple of days. It never stopped my periods and for awhile they were good lasting a couple of days after a couple of years they came back painful and heavy went to have a second surgery and they couldn't do anything to much scar tissue. At this point I am considering a hysterecomy as the pain is getting worse and they are lasting longer. Sorry not a great outcome.
  • marley2087
    Options
    I had this done last year. I had no problems with the recovery, had surgery on Thursday, went back to work on Monday. No periods no cramps, until I started my weight loss journey and the last couple months I have had cramps, and a little spotting but nothing major so far. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had it done a few years ago to stop constant bleeding and had a tubal at the same time. All is fine in womb land so far. The doc did say that if it didn't 'work' then a hysto would be the next step.

My only problem with recovery was the fact that me and general anesthetic do not get along. I had no issues or problems with the ablation and tubal *laff*

But everyone is different..
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had it. There are a few different ways they do it. Mine was a procedure where they insert a balloon type thing that circulates hot water to seal the uterus. It was a quick office visit. They drug you up pretty good, so you need a ride home. One day recovery at home. Not much to it. I think it worked good for me. I don't get cramps anymore. I do get a period but it's only for one day and very light. I wish I would have done it sooner.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Had two friends that had it done. One friend it wasn't complete due to her uterus shape. The other still has horrible mood swings and doesn't know why because she forgets when her period was supposed to have been....but I think they are both happy with it overall.
  • funmonk
    Options
    Did your doc talk about potential complications? I was one of the lucky ones that got a punctured uterus and a subsequent hysterectomy.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i had it! it didn't completely "take" on me, so i have periods, but much lighter. Be careful though.. you CAN still get pregnant (i did)
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    One of my friends had it done and she loved how it helped her very heavy periods. Im thinking of getting it after kids
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I've known people it worked for and others it didn't. I had it and it didn't seem to do much. I'm better now after getting off all the hormones and changing some foods up. I lost my insurance a few years ago or I would have had a hysterectomy by now.

Recovery isn't really all that bad, it's not horrible. It's worth a shot though, it could work for you. I think it does work for most people. Some of us are just cursed! lol.
  • cakelady69
    Options
    my old boss had it, it worked for years for her. She had several pain and heavy periods before. The recovery was quick. With 5 years, she was in really bad pain again and bad periods. She ended up with a hysterectomy. By the time she had it, she was taking 3-4 aleve at a time to just take the edge off. (which is really unhealthy for you)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Did your doc talk about potential complications? I was one of the lucky ones that got a punctured uterus and a subsequent hysterectomy.

No, but I did some research and saw that. It's a potential side effect of the IUD, as well. What I read said it's rare. Honestly, I wouldn't be upset about a hysterectomy. I'd rather have that! But they won't do it as an elective surgery. :-(
    i had it! it didn't completely "take" on me, so i have periods, but much lighter. Be careful though.. you CAN still get pregnant (i did)
    That's why I would have the tubal, as well, which was the doc's suggestion.

It sounds like it's a temporary fix for a lot of people, rather than a permanent one. That's something to consider ...