At home/no equipment exercise dvd recommendation?

Options
2»

Replies

• hellotherecupcake
    Options
    I hadn't done any consistent exercise for years and jumped into Insanity. I've since finished it and I've kept up with exercise so it definitely worked for me. :)

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm into weight lifting now, but I bought JM's 30 Day Shred before that. I pop it in every now and then and it's a nice little workout still. I recommend it.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the Leslie Sansome videos. I was not very active for a very long time due to joint pain and a herniated disc in my back. I bought one of her videos and it has helped me a lot. You don't have to do the whole thing in the beginning, I didn't. Now I can do the total 15 minutes and feel great afterward. As a note, I am 70 yrs old and if I can do it you can to. Get up and get going!!:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My wife likes Kathy Smith videos. She's been around a long time and knows her stuff. She has some low impact and beginner DVDs if you're just getting back into things.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    I doing Insanity, day 15 and I think is great..I work long shifts and the workouts are 40-45 mins long.

Month 2 jacks up into the 50 - 60 minute range for most of the Insanity workouts.

As others have said Insanity and P90X are pretty advanced so you would get some longevity out of them as the upper limits are likely beyond some of the other programs. You can modify them in the beginning until your fitness improves. Also, with P90X you do need some additional equipment (weights/resistance bands & pull up bar) while Insanity is just your body. My wife swears by the Jillian Michaels workouts and with some 3 & 5 lbs hand weights they'll probably get you started on the right path. You could get her 3 main programs for $30-$40 whereas Insanity and P90X are $130 each.
  • Strong_as_Oak
    Strong_as_Oak Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I doing Insanity, day 15 and I think is great..I work long shifts and the workouts are 40-45 mins long.

Does Insanity really work?
  • tleighs
    Options
    Zumba
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Jillian Michales no more trouble zones great work out works every part of the body and its one hour long
  • lengirl75
    lengirl75 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. You do need hand weights but could easily substitute something you have on hand like cans of veggies or something else. You could probably even use the dvd without any weights at all because I have found that several f the strength moves are challenging even without the weights. All you need is 30 minutes. You can do it!!
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser franchise has some great dvd's and can be found at Wal Mart for about 10 bucks a pop.....only equipement needed is hand weights.....but if you buy the BL starter kit at Wal Mart for about 25 dollars you get a pair of hand weights with it. The videos are broken down into Warm up, 3 different circuits, and then cool down. Warm up is 5 minutes, each circuit is about 12-15 minutes and then another 5 minutes for cool down. You also get the option of setting your work out in any order you wish. I love the Biggest Loser line. Hope this helps a little.
  • Vinyarddog
    Options
    I do Insanity and P90X on alternating days - if these are too long , there is also 10 minute trainer (which I do occasionally , in multiples {if you have 20 minutes , you could do 2})
  • StrongSandra
    StrongSandra Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try doing Pilates at home by following Cassie's POP Pilates videos from Blogilates (http://blogilates.com/) .

There's a MFP group for POP Pilates I just joined: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/7697-pop-pilates
  • BeantownSooner
    Options

Does Insanity really work?

My opinion is it definitely does. I completed my 1st Round of it 2 weeks ago and am just starting another one. Down 17lbs and 21 inches all over and that's with a bit of a mess nutrition wise the last week of August thru Labor Day.

It's pretty intense and you learn to pace yourself a bit in the beginning but literally a week or two in there's a dramatic difference cardio-wise. In my first round I went out for a run on an off day and was able to complete a 2 mile run with little effort...I have NOT ran in over 20 years!

Is it magic? No, and nutrition plays a big part of it but it will absolutely push you mentally and physically and is a refreshing challenge.
  • MJMARIN81
    Options
    You can get about JM ripped in 30, shred it with weights, six week six pack, and the yoga one for around $50. Workouts are around 20 to 30 mins. Well rounded workouts and they are alot of fun. I completed Insanity and it was great but it was pricey and I felt it took up alot of time. Also for a beginner it can discourage someone.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home videos are great exercise and you don't need any equipment at all! Her videos are all on YouTube as well or only about $9 each at Walmart.

Yes I agree, I have several of the Leslie Sansone's DVD's and love them for a quick cardio walk. I'm also very intrigued with Insantiy and want to try it.
  • graceacruz
    graceacruz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow! You guys are awesome! These are great suggestions. :smile:

I need to take some time to digest it all, then decide on the right approach. Looks like I have several options!
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oh... those dance games like Just Dance & Zumba. I tried one at a friend's house and I'm about to buy one for our Wii. It was so much fun and a great burn.
  • Night_Owl77
    Options
    I have 'Terri Walsh - The ART Method' dvd which is good and requires very little equipment. I believe Ripped in 30 is awesome also. I also have a few yoga and pilates dvd's if you like that kind of workout too. I mostly tend to stick to my body weight circuits though. There are some really good ones you can print from the internet or Zuzana Light (ex-Body Rock) has some amazing workouts on YouTube called ZWOW's which I am also hooked on! Otherwise, at home I have a skipping rope, some kettlebells, dip station... and a few other things but those are amazing investments to have and don't cost much and you have them forever!! Let us know how you go! :) You can message me your email address if you like and I could forward you some of the circuits that I do regularly. :) TC K