What do you feed you kids?

Options
What kinds of things do you feed your kids?
And what kinds of exercises? (eg. A sport, gymnastics etc)

Just wanting some ideas for when I have the kids on the weekend :)

Replies

• momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is cheerios, bagels, eggs, bacon, toast, french Toast etc. Lunch is usually turkey or chicken, fruit, some kind of cracker. Fruits, veggies, yogurt, applesauce, hardboiled eggs, pretzels for snacks. They are allergic to dairy or I'd make things like grilled cheese, mini pizzas etc.

Dinner is whatever I cook, no special "kid" food.

Eta: You asked about sports. My 2 year old plays soccer, 4 year old is in dance. 10 year old isn't in anything but isn't allowed to sit in front of the tv/computer. They are all very active.
  • lisaelainee
    lisaelainee Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I look after a 9 year old and a 6 year old on the weekends. The 9 year old loves art and she is quite clumsy. And the 6 year old all he does is the play station but I want to change that.
  • cinner506
    Options
    'It depends on how old and how "picky" your kids are. I feed my 13 yr old the same thing i eat! Dinner Tonight me 4oz of Salmon
    ( no butter, with lemon pepper), 1 cup of veggies! HER--8 oz of salmon (no butter) 1.5 of veggies!
    I try to plan my menu on Sundays after my grocery shopping.
    Tomorrow--Grilled chicken with salsa, and veggies, Next day--Spinach quiche with a small side of sweet potatoes wedges!
    Ask your kids what their favorite meal is and make a health version of it.
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    Hope eats everything and wade hardly try's anything but we are trying
  • cinner506
    Options
    AND WE do Zumba three times a week, and She's in track and on bowling league !
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My kids mostly eat whatever I eat. There is some variation in their likes, but we eat a huge variety of foods. Tonight we are eating spaghetti and broccoli slaw. Last night we had Aloo Gobi (an Indian dish) and Saturday we had steak, corn, mashed potatoes and salad.

They don't do sports. We hike a lot, catch fish, go to the park. My 9 year old was in gymnastics for a year for her balance.
  • MonicaFlachman
    Options
    I feed my son lots of fruits and veggies, he loves salad. I love to come up with different names for some foods ie: pennies from heaven (mac and cheese with hot dogs). I also have him in tons of sports for exercise and so he can find what he wants to excell in. He does soccer, baseball, gymnastics, swim lessons, basketball and pretty soon circus.
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    Could I have the grilled chicken salsa recipe? Might have it tonight
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My sons favorite is cheerios with kashi and sneaky fruit...that is, a fruit like strawberries on top and then bananas hiding in the bottom. He also likes his special breakfasts which are super dressed up toaster waffles. I smother them in things like bananas and nuts drizzled with honey, or berries and almonds with yogurt on top. He's not the biggest eater in the morning so I make sure that what he does eat is nutritious and sustaining. He also likes a good bowl of decorated oatmeal, which you can never go wrong with!
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have a 9-year-old and 6-year-old (plus a middle schooler). They eat plain oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon most mornings (their choice) with cereal occasionally. They take their lunch to school. I try to get one fruit and one veggie into them at lunch. Hummus with mini pitas, baby carrots and grape tomatoes is a favorite. (IME, kids like dipping stuff!). Homemade soup and chili are good. Tortilla roll ups (cream cheese, roasted peppers, ham). They love yogurt. Occasionally, I throw something like veggie chicken nuggets in there (they prefer the vegetarian kind, go figure). On weekends, I make veggie omelets or blueberry waffles for brunch. Dinner is whatever is on my plan. Tonight was honey lime roasted chicken with mashed cauliflower and spinach salad and that is typical. Lots of chicken and fish with the occasional turkey burgers and sweet potatoes thrown in.

My younger two both play soccer and do running club at school twice a week. In the winter, they have played indoor tennis the past couple years. Hard to be active in winter here unless you have lots of money to burn.
  • lisaelainee
    Options
    Oh yum! Can you give me the recipe for your dinner tonight?
    I have a 9-year-old and 6-year-old (plus a middle schooler). They eat plain oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon most mornings (their choice) with cereal occasionally. They take their lunch to school. I try to get one fruit and one veggie into them at lunch. Hummus with mini pitas, baby carrots and grape tomatoes is a favorite. (IME, kids like dipping stuff!). Homemade soup and chili are good. Tortilla roll ups (cream cheese, roasted peppers, ham). They love yogurt. Occasionally, I throw something like veggie chicken nuggets in there (they prefer the vegetarian kind, go figure). On weekends, I make veggie omelets or blueberry waffles for brunch. Dinner is whatever is on my plan. Tonight was honey lime roasted chicken with mashed cauliflower and spinach salad and that is typical. Lots of chicken and fish with the occasional turkey burgers and sweet potatoes thrown in.

My younger two both play soccer and do running club at school twice a week. In the winter, they have played indoor tennis the past couple years. Hard to be active in winter here unless you have lots of money to burn.