My shoulder hurts...what exercise is best?

Options
I have had a sore shoulder for months now, and am avoiding getting an mri hoping it gets better by itself! Not happening, but my shoulder hurts even when walking, if I swing my arm at all when I walk fast it really hurts! Any ideas on what to do? All of my dvd's have too much weight lifting ...help!:sad:

Replies

• Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You need to have it looked at. I had the same thing. Only mine really hurt when i did any over head presses or bench presses. I ended up getting an MRI. It was just tendinitis of the subscapularis. The MRI ran me 400 cash.....
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    Not a Doc but I had very significant pain last year in the front of my right shoulder around where the Deltoid meets the clavicle. That's a part of the shoulder where many of the rotator cuff muscles attach. The prescription I used:

- NSAIDs to reduce swelling and manage pain
    - Stretch daily
    - Do not do any exercises that affect the area for about a month (for me push ups, pull ups, bench, shoulder presses, etc.

However, you need to build up and strengthen the areas around the affected area. I followed this from WebMD for about a month, used Advil/Motrin as needed. Avoided movements/exercises as detailed above. Have had zero issues since then.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rotator-cuff-home-rehabilitation-exercises#

Edit: Oops meant to add that I used an 5 then 8lb weight during the strengthening exercises when applicable.
  • fan4iu
    fan4iu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I know, I did go around spring break to the doctor, who told me to try advil for 2 weeks and call back if it didn't get better to schedule a mri....I am not able to lift anything out in front of me without pain, lately even changing my car from park to drive hurts! I just have to face it...its been hurt since January...probably not gonna fix itself! I just don't want to wait any longer to lose weight!
  • fan4iu
    fan4iu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am actually unable to take Advil/Motrin due to another medical issue, so am stuck with tylenol...not helping much!