Hungry

Options
I eat a fair amount, typically between 1500-1800 calories each day and I am often really hungry. I could easily eat 2500 to be satisfied and I have been eating @1600+/- mark for 8-months. When is the feeling of being so hungry end? I thought it would have got better by now but today was yet another freakishly hungry days.

Any suggestions on how to feel more full? I have a huge carb intake because carbs seem to be the only thing that stops the tummy growls. Veggies just don't satisfy and I don't eat meat other than fish.

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Play around with combinations of foods to see what makes you feel good.

For me it seems that I need to have a decent breakfast - usually a bit of protein in there as well as carbs works best. If I don't eat much at breakfast I'm just hungry all day.

Yesterday I had fruit toast with banana and cream cheese for brekky and that didn't do a thing. Today's breakfast of wholegrain bread with a boiled egg and ham worked much better, even though the calories are about the same (or maybe less).

As you don't eat meat, try eggs for brekky, or even add in some tuna or salmon and see if that works for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Steak.

actually any lean meat... protein has much great satiety values than carbs. Carbs tend to make you full quickly and then lose that quickly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eggs too. After about 5 of them i am super full. Lol.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't leave you full for long is the problem. Need to eat more protein, even if it's not meat. How much are you exercising? Maybe that's not enough calories to keep you going.
  • sugarbomb83
    sugarbomb83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat meat other than fish and often find myself feeling very hungry. I have tried to back away from carbs since they were taking up too many calories in my daily budget.
    I eat a lot of protein and fiber. Definitely try having eggs for breakfast, they really seem to fill me up and hold me over until lunch.
    In place of pasta I use a lot of spaghetti squash and shirataki noodles. For very few calories you can eat A LOT of spaghetti squash or shirataki noodles and I find both to be filling.
    I also eat some breads but when I do I try to find low calorie breads. The brand Flat Out makes a bunch of wraps and breads that are low calories (90-100). One Flat Out pretzel bread sandwich with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is very filling and is 270 calories.
    I also drink a lot of sparkling water because the bubbles make me feel full.
    Good luck!!!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I walk about six miles a day and lift a few times a week. Do aikido once or twice a week as well. My Fitbit says I am lightly active since I walk slowly. I gave up eggs recently but they didn't really help and eat a lot of Greek yogurt for protein. Ate a lot of lentils today which are high in protein but was still famished. I am lying in bed with my stomach howling at me (ignoring it).

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • sugarbomb83
    sugarbomb83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lentils are great! I'm surprised you're feeling so hungry right now. :frown:
    6 miles a day seems like it should qualify as more than "lightly active". Maybe you need to increase your calorie intake.
  • scrapgun
    Options
    I used to experience the hunger you are talking about ... i don't any more... I have started using Michelle Bridges cook books...
    She is an Australian Biggest Loser Trainer... I am no longer hungry and they are so delicious my family love them...
    I don't understand the science of it all... i just know it is working for me right now...
    thought I would share that!!!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    6 miles a day seems like it should qualify as more than "lightly active". Maybe you need to increase your calorie intake.

This for sure. That probably burns a good 500 calories right there so if you're only eating 1600, your net is probably closer to 1100. That's why you feel hungry most likely. Bump your calories to closer to 2000 and you'll notice a huge difference.
  • paintedrocker
    Options
    Protein shakes can be a great way to fill yourself up while staying lower on Calories and higher on protein.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options

This for sure. That probably burns a good 500 calories right there so if you're only eating 1600, your net is probably closer to 1100. That's why you feel hungry most likely. Bump your calories to closer to 2000 and you'll notice a huge difference.
    Agreed.

Carbs will fill you up, but they also tend to help you crash. Try to incorporate more fiber and healthy fats into your diet.
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are you also getting a good amount of fiber? A good mix of fiber and protein are usually what it takes for me to stay full. It could also be your body missing some kind of nutrient. If you aren't getting enough healthy fats your body will crave food. Same as if you are missing certain vitamins! Perhaps try talking to your doctor and making sure your nutrient levels are all okay.

My fiance and I were both having this issue... and the doctor gave us different answers. He was pre-diabetic (diabetic now) and his high blood sugar was causing him to feel hungry. I wasn't getting enough vitamin D and had to start taking supplements.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Fitbit gave me 300 calories for that six miles. I have a treadmill desk so it is pretty light going and my body is used to it.

Got lots of fiber in my diet and am surprised the lentils didnt help. Soup usually does. I was so hungry I ate an entire bag of popcorn looking for something to fill me up :(

Didn't realize carbs can make you hungry. I find veggies do that except in soup format. Got to try that shiitake noodle thing
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's those carbs that are probably getting you. If I eat them, I'm miserable at my goal of 1,200 calories per day. If I stay away from simple carbs and limit the complex ones, I'm just fine....really...I have a hard time stuffing all 1,200 calories down. From past experience, after giving them up, it takes me three days to get over feeling the need and the hunger for carbs. Also, foods that are dense in carbs are dense in calories.....by volume you're probably eating less food than I am at 1,200. Give it a shot....give it a week....and see if this doesn't work for you, too. I had a MFP friend that was talking about awaking each morning starving....she gave up the carbs and that little problem is gone, too.

Good luck. :)
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    As those before me said, carbs will not satisfy you for as long as proteins and fats. Carbs may make you feel full at first, but that feeling isn't sustained. Proteins and fats, on the other hand, will keep you feeling satisfied for much longer.
  • shaleasymphony
    shaleasymphony Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    try to drink 2 cups of water before you eat your meals. you'll eat less and save more cals for later through the day for snacks and other things
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Fitbit gave me 300 calories for that six miles. I have a treadmill desk so it is pretty light going and my body is used to it.

Got lots of fiber in my diet and am surprised the lentils didnt help. Soup usually does. I was so hungry I ate an entire bag of popcorn looking for something to fill me up :(

Didn't realize carbs can make you hungry. I find veggies do that except in soup format. Got to try that shiitake noodle thing

Popcorn is one of my favorite low cal snacks. You can have a lot of it for very few calories if you do it right. What I do is put the popping corn in a brown paper lunch bag and fold down the end and microwave it. I sometimes top it with a little Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast.

Do you drink any diet sodas or use any artificial sweeteners? Those actually increase your cravings for carbs.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had fruit toast with banana and cream cheese for brekky and that didn't do a thing. Today's breakfast of wholegrain bread with a boiled egg and ham worked much better, even though the calories are about the same (or maybe less).

yup, you can eat same or fewer calories and be satisfied for much longer if you select the right foods.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Increase your protein and fat consumption. Healthy fat, not Ben & Jerry's. Not eating meat can make that a challenge I'm sure.
    This website has a nice list of high protein foods that may work for you: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

Here are some not meat ideas:
    Eggs and Dairy

Egg, large - 6 grams protein
    Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
    Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
    Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
    Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
    Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
    Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
    Beans (including soy)

Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
    Nuts and Seeds

Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Carbs won't stick around long.