treadmill vs eliptical

Options
My old treadmill quit and I was wondering which would be better. To get another treadmill or an eliptical? I have never used an eliptical so that is why I am asking. Which would give a better workout? Does the eliptical work out your arms as well? Thanks for you input

Replies

• CaraAmor
    CaraAmor Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer the elliptical myself. It does work both your legs and your arms, as it basically is designed to replicate the activity of cross country skiing... and cross country skiing is (from what I understand) the very BEST cardiovascular workout you can do!:happy: Kinda nice also because, in addition to the cardio, you end up with a decent amount of strength training built right in! Bonus! Also, you can go backwards on an elliptical and that targets a completely different set of muscles than going forward does (is especially good for the butt!) Finally, I just plain downright find the elliptical to be more fun to use as you can mix it up... do a bit of forward with arms and legs, then just the arms, then just the legs, then backwards arms and legs, etc.... You get the picture! It does have a different "feel" when you start using it and first time you may feel your balance to be a bit off... but that passes quickly! Personally, I would recommend a good elliptical over a treadmill, anyday!:smile:
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i use both at the gym, and I have them both at home. I tend to go more for the elliptical. The treadmill is hard on my joints. I also think that I burn more calories on the elliptical. I feel more balanced on the elliptical too. I can do a mile in 10 minutes on the elliptical, but I have a hard time keeping this pace on the treadmill. One thing you might do is get a free guest pass to a gym, and then go try out the machines. This way you can see which one you like better. My gym gives out 2 week free guest passes. I hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Portcitymatt
    Options
    elliptical /cross trainer > treadmills

you can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time on an elliptical than you can on a treadmill, at least from what I have gathered. no one REALLY likes to work out so the most calories in the shortest time is the one for me.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I prefer the eliptical, too. Another advantage of the eliptical is that it is low impact. Your feet never leave the machine so there isn't the jarring effect that you get with walking or jogging on a treadmill.
  • princessbee728
    Options
    From my own personal experience, the elliptical gives me a better workout. I end up feeling like I actually got a real workout when I spend a half hour on the elliptical, compared to a half hour on the treadmill!
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think about buying an elliptical for at home. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have an old treadmill that was relatively cheap and was a mistake, and a more expensive recumbent stationary bike that was worth the price. But still, I am on a budget, and don't want to pay the big bucks.....
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no inherent superiority of one machine over the other. You should choose the machine that you like the best. Don't buy something based on someone's opinion that it is the "best" exercise. The best exercise is the one that you enjoy doing.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories on the elliptical trainer and it's less wear and tear on my joints. Although I love to run and am in the middle of the C25K program I would definitely pick the elliptical to have in my home.

We're fortunate to have a full blown gym at our complex so I'm spoiled and get both. :love: :love:
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap elliptical. It is harder on the knees. I cannot go as fast so I don't burn as many calories in an hour. I had the elliptical for a year and avoided it. Then I joined the gym and began to use that elliptical. I ca use mine at home but I prefer the one at the gym. Cannot afford the big price tag, though!!!
  • B4its2L8
    B4its2L8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I will go with the eliptical. Now I need to research which ones are better. So, what kind does everyone have?
  • polyesterchesters
    polyesterchesters Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use a home elliptical and I have a pro form. (cannot remember what model number) it was about $499. If you are going to buy one, either you or someone you know must be good at putting these type things together or pay for the store to deliver and set up. mine moves great and has no issues...... but. it only has 10 resistence levels, and maybe 5 workouts. also, the heart rate moniter and calorie counter are waaaaayyyyyyy off. So, i bought a heart rate moniter and I am very happy with the elliptical I have. I think when I upgrade (if), I will purchase one with more resistance levels and work outs built in. Heck they even sell them now with video games built in!