Cast iron - Cooking and seasoning

Options
I've recently acquired a vintage cast iron pan and have been learning to cook with it. It had a soft seasoning, which I promptly ruined by cooking some higher acid food, then some eggs which stuck like crazy. Long story short, I've had to re-season it. Anyone else have experience cooking with cast iron, or seasoning a pan?

Replies

• ninjapdx
    ninjapdx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We switched to using only cast iron over a year ago and never looked back. Tips I have are only wash it with water, dry it, put it back on the heat and then add some vegetable oil to season (wipe with paper towel to coat). If you've destroyed the seasoning it's pretty easy to fix, just wash it thoroughly with water and soup till you're satisfied, then dry and coat with vegetable oil and put in a hot oven for a half an hour. You may need to do this multiple times however with ours we did it once and it improves its "non-stickness" with each subsequent seasoning. Almost forgot, don't touch the handles (unless its wooden) because they get really hot during cooking.

The way our pans have been going for the past year (or more I can't remember) I don't see the need to buy new ones anytime soon so they're definitely worth the money. They also give your arms a nice workout while moving them around :P
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've got a 90 year old cast iron skillet that I love...I season it about once a year coating it with vegetable oil and baking at 250 for 40 minutes, let it cool off wipe it out lasts about a year. I actually have 9 pans but one is a hand me down and I cherish it.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Wash it, scour if necessary to remove rust. Coat the insides well with LARD. Vegetable oils leave a film, lard doesn't.. Old timers used lard because hydrogenated vegetable shortening's wasn't invented back in the day. Bake the pan in the oven on the middle rack for one hour at 375. Be very careful when removing pan from oven. Make sure your oven mitt's are up to the task. Do not cool the pan down in cold water. When pan is cool, wipe it out with a paper towel. See if there are any bare spot's that you missed with the coating of lard. If so, repeat the coating and baking process.

Repeat this process until all the micro-pores on the cooking surface have been impregnated with lard. It could take a couple of times in the oven to get it fully seasoned.

Note: Place warning signs around your kitchen letting unsuspecting do gooders who like to scrub cast iron with soap or better yet SOS pads, of the physical harm that will come to them if they ever think about coming near your cast iron again. ( Yes the sentence structure police will be all over me for that one)

Cheers
    Sailor
    Retired Chef
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I bought a small cast iron skillet from the Lodge website and i love it, been using it for a few years, then i was at TJ Maxx the other day and they had Lodge stuff! A few were pitted but i found a medium and large skillet that were both pretty perfect, for half off. Loving them. Nothing puts a crispy crust on food like cast iron :) i highly recommend Lodge btw-great quality, and not that expensive.

As for care, i wash with hot water and a scrub brush,no soap, dry, and sometimes add a lightcoat of veggie oil.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wash it, scour if necessary to remove rust. Coat the insides well with LARD. Vegetable oils leave a film, lard doesn't.. Old timers used lard because hydrogenated vegetable shortening's wasn't invented back in the day. Bake the pan in the oven on the middle rack for one hour at 375. Be very careful when removing pan from oven. Make sure your oven mitt's are up to the task. Do not cool the pan down in cold water. When pan is cool, wipe it out with a paper towel. See if there are any bare spot's that you missed with the coating of lard. If so, repeat the coating and baking process.

Repeat this process until all the micro-pores on the cooking surface have been impregnated with lard. It could take a couple of times in the oven to get it fully seasoned.

Note: Place warning signs around your kitchen letting unsuspecting do gooders who like to scrub cast iron with soap or better yet SOS pads, of the physical harm that will come to them if they ever think about coming near your cast iron again. ( Yes the sentence structure police will be all over me for that one)

Cheers
    Sailor
    Retired Chef

Wow, i didnt know tthat i should be using lard... Think i'll pick some up tomorrow :)
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    BUMP:love:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've recently acquired a vintage cast iron pan and have been learning to cook with it. It had a soft seasoning, which I promptly ruined by cooking some higher acid food, then some eggs which stuck like crazy. Long story short, I've had to re-season it. Anyone else have experience cooking with cast iron, or seasoning a pan?
    Cool!!:glasses:
    I was just thinking about posting a cast-iron pan recipe haha!
    It's still summertime warm, yet I was wanting to bake potatoes
    Just TOO HOT to fire up the oven.

But first, seasoning the pan tips:
    Just put a touch of olive oil on the pan to lightly coat (a paper towel works well for this)
    Now place the pan on the hot stove and let it get hot enough to begin to smoke.
    Remove the pan and let it cool a bit.
    Now when you go to use the pan, just "clean" it with some oil and paper towel.
    When you go to wash the pan, minimal soap, if any.
    Just get most of the food out using some water and a scraper.
    Then clean do a quick "seasoning" on the pan again.

Now you know how to season, and how to clean your cast iron pan.

So I decided to use my pan to bake potatoes!
    Just cut the potatoes in half and place them skin side down on the pan.
    Add about 12oz of water and turn stove on high.
    Cover the pan and let the water boil to steam the potatoes, and let the pan get "dry."
    This will begin to make a nice roasted spot on the skin, while fhe potatoes finish "baking."
    Once the pan is dry, remove from heat and allow to set a while to finish baking.
    I have not timed this process, but I think it takes about 15-20min. Ive been using red potatoes.

Hope you like this:)
  • MiaOrange
    MiaOrange Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've used cast iron for years. Had to replace them after being some housing issues. I got one used, I think and some more new. I rinse with water and usually cook chicken, meat, or eggs on it with olive oil heated up alone first. I don't do any special seasoning.

The issue I had is, I bought a new cast iron pot/dutch oven to boil water and it said it was pre-seasoned. The water turns brown, and cooking homemade soup in it, which I put kombu seaweed and onions in, made everything turn black, so it was difficult to eat the leftovers. Maybe if I cook some meat with oil and water in it, it will work better later for soup. I'm not sure.
  • MiaOrange
    Options
    PS it's not the same thing and I don't put oil on it, but cast iron to me is in the same category as the pizza stone for the oven.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I've used cast iron for years. Had to replace them after being some housing issues. I got one used, I think and some more new. I rinse with water and usually cook chicken, meat, or eggs on it with olive oil heated up alone first. I don't do any special seasoning.

The issue I had is, I bought a new cast iron pot/dutch oven to boil water and it said it was pre-seasoned. The water turns brown, and cooking homemade soup in it, which I put kombu seaweed and onions in, made everything turn black, so it was difficult to eat the leftovers. Maybe if I cook some meat with oil and water in it, it will work better later for soup. I'm not sure.
    The process of seasoning keeps the food from touching the metal. It's this little barrier.
    So seasoning it.
    I usually cook eggs in mine.
    It's super nonstick if it's seasoned properly
    And if it's not seasoned and cleaned properly, I hate the way they taste.
    Maybe as an above poster suggested, use lard to season and bake it a while to get a nice thick coating on it...so you can cook acidic things, too
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    I use cast iron pans, some vintage, some not, and this is how I do them.

First, I make sure they are very well seasoned. This is done by heating them with a thin layer of lard wiped over the entire pan and heating it until it smokes. Done three times, this lays down a good coat. Then you make sure that you periodically cook fatty foods in the pan to reseason it. (My method is simply to rotate which pan I fry bacon in.)

I've used soap before on mine, but very very quickly, and well-rinsed off, air-dried, and a quick pass of seasoning the bottom of the pan again if need be on the stove while I finish cleaning the kitchen. It can be done quickly with a touch of olive oil and doesn't take hardly any time.

I use mine for everything, including acidic dishes like bolognese sauces, but I also keep an eye on the condition of the pan and redo the seasoning now and then as it needs it, if it needs it.
  • NewNalu
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome and thorough replies everyone! Looks like we might just have to start a cast-iron mfp group!

The pan I have is vintage...70-80 years old I believe. Back then they made them with a different quality of iron and gave them a different finish. You can always tell a vintage cast-iron because the metal will be very smooth (newer pans a slightly pitted). Just incase anyone is wondering- the first seasoning I had on the pan was very soft, I think it was probably a vegetable oil or bacon grease season. I was new to cast-iron and accidentally stripped it off with a high acid recipe...and probably by washing it a little too much.

My second attempt at seasoning was done with Flax oil, which is supposed to leave a very hard seasoned layer. While it came out looking good, the seasoning didn't hold. My most recent attempt is simply cooking chicken and steak on the pan with a little light olive oil. Oddly, this seems to be working the best and the pan is starting to build up a fairly non stick surface. I wipe the pan out and throw it in the oven for a few mins after each use.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Bookmarking for later - I so need to season my pans!
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I need a cast iron pan!
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For the first year or so (I bought mine new) I would just heat up a piece of bacon or pork chop before I started; let it get crispy and smear the fat around the pan as you do so, then scoop it out and give it to the dog while you cook.
    After awhile you get a feel for how big a piece you're going to need. I used a half piece for my 12" pan, and a whole piece for the 18".

Also, if anyone gets near your pans with soap, make them eat it.
  • stephstar15
    Options
    Wash it, scour if necessary to remove rust. Coat the insides well with LARD. Vegetable oils leave a film, lard doesn't.. Old timers used lard because hydrogenated vegetable shortening's wasn't invented back in the day.

Cheers
    Sailor
    Retired Chef

LARD, always lard! Agree 100%
  • Sarah0003
    Sarah0003 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend these - http://www.amazon.com/Le-Creuset-Silicone-Handle-Sleeve/dp/B001E9MAYU - for your cast iron handles. Mine has saved me from a burned hand many times.

I also second the suggestion to spread the word to housemates/sleepovers/or kitchen cleaners about caring for your cast iron. I once had a housemate who would stick them in the dishwasher! :noway:
  • MiaOrange
    Options
    I have no problem with my yrs old pans, it's the new dutch oven one. I'm not sure it was designed to boil water in? I bought it because the large pot I used to boil water in got a hole in it. We had and E. Coli water boil order a couple weeks ago, I boiled the water in the cast iron so I could do the dishes with it. The big pot has only been used a couple times, I could cook what i do in the pans in there and it should be better. I should probably get a stainless steel for making homemade soup...

The eggs & meat I cook in the older pans taste fine and don't stick. My kids got mad at me when I used a regular pan to make their food one time, they said it wasn't crispy enough...

I like how heavy the cast iron is, makes me feel like I'm getting stronger when I use them. When I had my 1st house 13 yrs ago, I bought cast iron and I was so weak, I could hardly lift them the 1st couple months.