Body Contouring After Major Weight Loss

Options
Hi all! So I recently just passed my 100 goal mark and decided to look at Body Contouring photos of people who have lost major amounts of weight and have excess skin/fat that won't go away because it hangs. I was looking at the photos of all these people who have had surgery to 'fix' their 'unsightly weight loss' bodies after mass amounts of weight has been dropped... and I started to get really upset.

I guess I'm just looking for some motivation from you all or what your thoughts are on surgery after weight loss. Yay or nay? Does it upset anyone else that, even after losing SOO much weight and putting in soo much hard work you'll never look "normal" without some surgery to pick up the loose ends?

Who else hates their fupa?!

Does this demotivate anyone from losing more weight?

(Sorry if that offends anyone, it's mostly just how I feel right now. Not saying any of you are not normal looking :flowerforyou: )

By the way, here's the website with photos I was looking at:
http://www1.plasticsurgery.org/before_and_after_photo_gallery/?procedure=Body_Contouring_after_Major_Weight_Loss

Replies

• SilverOnTheTree
    SilverOnTheTree Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Well done for losing 100! That's a significant milestone.

That website is somewhere between depressing and alarming! Can't imagine going for this drastic surgery solution (or afford it), will stick with hopeful program of slow weight loss followed by muscle building.

I detoxed by looking at photos from a zombie fun run: http://www.westword.com/slideshow/run-for-your-lives-zombie-5k-37307694/#45
  • daisiecpa
    daisiecpa Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i am totally freaked out and sad about knowing i am going to have extra skin. i hope by losing weight slow and working out helps. but i have alot of weight to lose and have been fat for about 16 years so im really scared about it. i have a long way to go before i get to that point so right now i am trying to not think about it too much it is hard enough to eat right and exercise. i was reading that after you lost weight it will take a couple years for you skin to shrink some more. so i would wait for surgery you might get lucky and your skin will look alot better naturally. good luck.

also congratulations on your weight loss that is amazing.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The only thing I notice on this is that the majority of those women underwent bariatric surgery to achieve their weight loss. Meaning the weight came off extremely fast. I can only hope (and it's a great fear of mine) that with slower weight loss and a lot of exercise/weight lifting/ eventually dead lifting and Insanity workouts and P90X (you know when I can manage without feeling like I'm going to die), that these results can be avoided.

Not saying I'm going to let fear of loose skin keep me from trying to get healthy, but it is a big weight on my mind, that I'll go through all this work to lose weight and still look pretty horrible afterwards.

Best of luck to you, stick with it girl, and grats on the 100 pounds lost!
  • Meg177
    Meg177 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Somebody once explained on here that fat comes of randomly and isn't packed as tightly when you lose as when you were putting on. Keep going. Also not wanting to offend anyone or diminish anyone's suffering but it was said "you don't see loose skin on starvation victims". Massage helps as does drybrushing and drinking lots of water and moisturizing your skin.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Okay....slow down. So far, out of the ones I've seen, are people that had bariatric bypass surgery and they lost the weight extremely fast.....and honestly unhealthily! I've lost even more than you and I don't have much of that at all. My body looks NOTHING like the bodies in the pictures! I think that when I'm done I'll have a little bit on my upper arms and my legs, but that will be it. These people look "deflated." The saddest thing is that they don't know how to eat to control their weight and way too many of them put the weight back on. You and I are taking a different approach. If I feel that I have to have surgery in the end, then I will have it and consider it the cherry on top of this gift I've given myself!
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a friend of mine that lost 80+ lbs and she worked her butt off. She did insanity, p90x and the Brazilian butt lift and, lots of yoga.
    She did shakeology--she swears by it and a periodical juice fasting. She looks fantastic and no hanging skin from the pics I have seen. So there is hope! I
    I bought Shaun T's Rockin body and its on its way...I can't wait to start that. I am only disappointed that I got it on Groupon I get 2 dvds and on the beachbody all 7 dvds plus free gifts were on sale last night for $20. I felt cheated. lol

Anyway, I am very fearful of the same. I have seen women lose weight and have that problem and look older.
    My other big fear is having extra sagging skin on my chin. I have a triple chin so that worries me too.
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Okay....slow down. So far, out of the ones I've seen, are people that had bariatric bypass surgery and they lost the weight extremely fast.....and honestly unhealthily! I've lost even more than you and I don't have much of that at all. My body looks NOTHING like the bodies in the pictures! I think that when I'm done I'll have a little bit on my upper arms and my legs, but that will be it. These people look "deflated." The saddest thing is that they don't know how to eat to control their weight and way too many of them put the weight back on. You and I are taking a different approach. If I feel that I have to have surgery in the end, then I will have it and consider it the cherry on top of this gift I've given myself!

You look fantastic!
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on your amazing weight loss success. as for body contouring by a cosmetic surgeon you do your homework. Not all of them are the same. there are two very important certifications to ensure they have American Board of Plasitic Surgeons and the Association of Plastic surgeon. Be sure to investigate all reviews on who ever you chose and be advised there are very real risks such as staph infections that are not covered by your health insurance. I believe it's worth checking out, the rest is up to you, good luck.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    You are young, let it ride out and keep going to the gym and lifting, if you aren`t already. I lost around the same amount (80 or so lbs) around age 20 and I don`t have any loose skin from it at this point. Most of mine was in my butt and thighs. I`m 38 now having kept the weight off and my skin has has continued to tighten over the years with working out. I only wish I would have started hardcore gym sooner - I have next to nothing now and was dying to get body contouring, say, from my late 20s til only a few years ago. You have to work out hard and have muscle behind it to get good results and you may find that you end up tightening on your own.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I dropped 99 pounds in 11 months. That shows you don't need to do extremes like surgery to lose weight just hard work. Though this loose skin problem is getting out of hand atm. Right now I started to goto the gym and start to do lifting. Kinda sucks if anything I might get have a visit with the laser to remove the Stretch Marks and wait for the skin to heal itself.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I have a lot of loose skin on my upper body, mostly because my breasts were very large and as I lost weight they really deflated. I am really bothered by my saggy "armpits" and the backs of my arms. I fully intend to have a breast redux or lift and depending on how everything else looks, I'll consider more surgery, but my plan is to hit my goal weight first and maintain for 1 year. If I decide to have a baby I will wait until after that. Yes, you will look a bit like Frankenstein nakked, but the scars will fade, and most importantly all that extra bulky saggy skin will be gone. You will be more comfortable and your clothing will fit better. Plus those pictures are typically taken a month or 2 post-op, and there is usually some swelling still. Surgery may not be right for everyone, but after a dramatic weight loss it is often the only way you can feel comfortable.

PS
    If you are really interested make an appt. with a plastic surgeon. Most have free consultations and can help you decide what to do. I saw one and it really reassured me.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    PS
    If you are really interested make an appt. with a plastic surgeon. Most have free consultations and can help you decide what to do. I saw one and it really reassured me.

I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time! Stretched skin will adjust somewhat and not look as bad when losing weight slowly. it may take a little time, plus getting work you would like done is best after it settles down. Skin will also 'grow' a little with large weight gains especially if this is fast gain.
    If at the end of it then you feel you need some work and you want to have it done then in my opinion go ahead. Give it time, you are amazing just as you are!