Runners - why is running so hard in the beginning?

Options
I have just started running and I think I could really get into it. I am doing C25k and have done Week 1, but will stay on it for another week as I am finding it hard to run for one minute before wanting to collapse :tongue:

My usual workout consists of Body Pump, Spinning, and strength training working on legs mainly. (At the moment I am focussing on Spinning and running). I do leg press, leg extensions, leg curls on the machines. I can leg press 230 lbs, which might seem like Barbie weights to some, but for me is good. So basically, my legs are quite strong. And yet - I am finding running really hard. I can just about keep it up for a minute at a time. It's as if my body absolutely can't run for any longer - there's just no power to keep my legs going. And yet I can do a 1 hour Spinning class?

I weigh 164 lbs - and my goal weight is 133. I'm 47.

So my question is what is the hard bit of running - is is lack of leg strength, is it that I just don't have the aerobic capacity just yet, why is it that I just don't seem to have any power behind me to push myself forwards? I have decided to go back to strength training on my legs to see if that helps.

I was just wondering whether any of you who are runners can give me some ideas.

Replies

• waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Any time you are beginning a new exercise, working a new set of muscles, etc.. your body needs time to figure out what it's doing. Our bodies are pretty smart though and so eventually it will start to click. I was a non-runner to the extreme and then started C25K last year.. stick to the program.. every other day.. 3 days a week and you'll see results, you'll get stronger and you'll stop feeling like you're going to die! It will get easier!
    Congrats on beginning and trust me.. it'll get better and one day you'll love it!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I can't help you, but I am also curious about this one. I rode my bike 21 miles today, but running even for a minute or two wipes me out!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Every exercise you do uses different muscles. Or at least uses muscles differently. Keep in mind those other things you are doing you're also sitting down. Your core isn't as engaged in keeping you upright. It's all different, it's all new. It takes a fair while to learn. Research a good running program. Try a running store that sponsors a 5 or 10 K fun run. They often publish the program and hopefully will give you a copy without making you signup.:smile: Luck
  • connemarapony
    Options
    As well as needing to get used to it, I think the reason a lot of beginners struggle is because they're running too fast. It'll take a while for you to figure out what's a sustainable pace for you. Until then keep it nice and slow!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    its just because its different to other exercise and although it might use the same muscles, they are not being worked in the same way, it DOES get easier don't give up!

When I first started running @ 240lbs, i thought I was actually going to die after 30 seconds, but the next time I managed 1 minute, then 2, and soon enough I could do over an hour! I just returned to running last week after being off since Jan with a bad knee, and I really surprised myself did 1.6 miles pretty easily, being 60lbs lighter made a huge difference! I had been doing mainly spinning for the last few months so running and spinning / cycling do go well together to help keep your fitness up :-)

My biggest tip would be to run slower, even if you think you are going slow already. It so much easier to get the distance sorted and then work on speed. I usually run @ 7.5-8kmh which is around 12-12.5min miles.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    Options
    When I first started the initial block was aerobic capacity but this improves remarkably quickly. I did not have a problem with leg strength until I started running much longer distances 10K+. The other aspect to running is the mental side. Sometimes it is much easier to stop than it is to carry on but once you get over that you will really start to enjoy it. Don't push it too hard the saying don't run before you can walk holds true.
  • ssilvey726
    ssilvey726 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not only is my problem with wanting to stop after a minute, it hurts the knees to run on concrete after a while. I think a lot of men with bigger frames have that problem. I'm 6'2" and it seems like it's hard for taller people to run because of the toll on their knees.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    The biggest tip I got, and you already have above, is to run slower. Even if that means your run pace is slower than your walk - you just want to train your body to get used to working with that running action.

Don't forget to breathe and keep your head up - look where you're going, not at the ground.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all! So run slower, which I have been doing and I have to say, that works. The (lack of) power issue is still there though - so even at a slow pace, I feel sluggish and like I am dragging myself forwards. My enthusiasm for running is far greater than my ability at the moment. But I won't give up :noway:
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I agree with waterwing response. It's always hard in the beginning when trying something new. It takes time for the body and mind to adjust. I would suggest starting very slow and running a block and walking a block and continuing this process until you are able to meet your goal. I could barely run one mile in November. I've been training for my first marathon for the past eight weeks. I ran 23 miles this past and should be ready come September 30th. I would also suggest listening to music while you run. It helps with the mental side and distracts you when pain sets in.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    start slow...maybe at a speed just a tad bit faster than walking. i was told to go for distance in the beginning then work on speed. and do intervals which i think you already are with c25k. i started with 3min run, 1min walk then i increased the running interval every week by a minute. now i can run for 45-50 minutes straight.

with that in mind, i am now working on my 5k speed. would LOVE LOVE LOVE to finish 5k in under 30 minutes but that is going to take some time and mileage on the pavement/treadmill. right now, i'm at 5k/32min so trying to figure out how to shave 2 minutes off my time.

but it does get easier with time keeping in mind that you remain constant at it and dedicated. i took a 3 week break from running once and had to literally build it back up.

and whatever you do, don't run everyday! you risk injury to your knees and you need recovery time. recovery is important for your stamina. i run poorly when i haven't had a good day's rest in between.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with waterwing response. It's always hard in the beginning when trying something new. It takes time for the body and mind to adjust. I would suggest starting very slow and running a block and walking a block and continuing this process until you are able to meet your goal. I could barely run one mile in November. I've been training for my first marathon for the past eight weeks. I ran 23 miles this past and should be ready come September 30th. I would also suggest listening to music while you run. It helps with the mental side and distracts you when pain sets in.

Wow, congratulations on your achievement. A marathon, in less than one year, imagine that! (Stares off dreamily into distance ...... visualises self running marathon this time next year .......)
  • daniat
    daniat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ideas of different muscles being used and starting slow. I used to be able to do over an hour on the Ellipticlal yet when I did my first c25k outdoors, I thought I was going to pass out. My entire body ached days after. Now I look forward to my runs .

It definitely does get easier.