Metformin

Options
Hey all, I hve been prescribed metformin for pcos. I am now taking 1000mg per day. I heard that some people lost weight through metformin, if true how long will they take?

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Metformin for a year for PCOS. I didn't drop the usual "first fifty" that I've heard of others losing when they start it. It can have some very nasty side effects. The best way that I started losing weight was reduce the number of simple starches in my diet. I try to stay away from a lot of carbs (more than 30-40 a meal), and I do best eating wheat bread instead of white bread and avoiding potatoes.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything makes you just drop weight. The key to getting the best results from metformin is to low carb it. Max at 100 grams net per day and you should see some good results. I keep mine (usually) below 75 net and have some really great results in the past 10 months. Eat your carbs from veggies and fruit. I highly recommend you head over to http://www.marksdailyapple.com. This is a great lifestyle change and really not that hard to keep up.

I feel incredible, best I have since probably high school. Tons of energy and well it has certainly helped episodes of depression being 120 lbs lighter. No doubt that it is hard work and a complete lifestyle change but the results are more worth it than you can imagine.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,589 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS.
    I have been on Metformin since early January. I didn't drop anything right away either but it has helped. Also, stay away from white or refined starches.
    Just a warning though that in the very beginning and also anytime I deem to eat heavy or starchy foods I have to spend quite a bit of time in the bathroom the next morning.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My pharmacist said you typically have to get up to 2000 mg/day before it begins to aid in weight loss. I lost weight when I first started and at that time I was only on 1000 mg but that's also the same time that I stepped up my exercise and diet so it's likely the weight loss was a combination of things. The meds make me pretty sick but it seems to help if I take one pill just after lunch and the other right after dinner.
  • Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I have not suffered any side effects from taking metformin, no nausea, loose bowel movements, etc. I am quite comfortable with it actually, and I hope to see some great results soon! Good luck to all of you!
  • mcwshngtn
    mcwshngtn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    metformin is the booty devil.