How do you cook veggies?

Options
There are a lot of different ways to cook veggies. Most of them like broccoli, spinach, and green beans can be either steamed or boiled. Does it taste different or does it not matter how you cook it? I'm just curious.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The levels of nutrients in green vegetables that are destroyed by cooking varies depending on the method used. Steaming retains the most nutrients, whereas boiling, frying and microwaving zap a lot more of the nutrients. Therefore steaming is generally thought to be the best method of cooking vegetables to retain as many nutrients as possible.

As far as taste is concerned then I guess that is personal preference.

Here is a study on this for reference:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722699/
  • shan1204
    Options
    I prefer broccoli to be lightly stir fried. Squashes, I tend to roast in chunks with the slightest hint of olive oil and lots of chopped onions and a bit of garlic or alternatively bake whole.

Courgettes, I think are best thinly sliced and grilled on a BBQ or served raw in a salad. Beetroot, I bake whole in foil and sprinkle with a little bit of balsamic vinegar.

Mange tout is good steamed. Spinach is good wilted and then served with a grating of nutmeg.

If you chop up courgettes, aubergine (you call them eggplant), tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery and garlic and roast off in the oven with a little bit of olive oil and red wine vinegar plus a hint of chilli - it is lovely served on cous cous, bulgar wheat or even pasta.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I mostly steam mine. Mostly because it is best for keeping nutrients in the veggies, and I also prefer the taste/consistency.

I mostly have spinach raw or mixed into a food at the last minute so that it wilts (e.g. mixed in with a pasta or rice dish).
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    we steam most of ours, and microwave sweet potatoes.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I prefer to steam mine. Retains more of the nutrients and I prefer the texture. I like my veg lightly done. My boyfriend likes his boiled and really well done. I always feel guilty if I do that, or steam something in the microwave, because I'm taking nutrients out of them.
    I like peppers roasted or stir fried, depending on the dish.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    we steam it mostly. or eat raw...but sometimes ill grill my bellpeppers and any other vegetable that can be grilled :D