Why is it so hard?

Options
Why do you have so limited energy at the end of the day.
I've been working on my diet for about 3 weeks now and have lost roughly 6lbs. I know I need to start going to the gym but after a 10-12 hour day i feel like i have nothing left.

How do you get motivated and stay that way?

Replies

• luke_863413
    Options
    That's what she said.
  • sweetpeagal
    Options
    Wow! That sounds really hard to work 10-12 hour days and then to go to the gym. Just think about how proud you'll be of yourself after you have done something that so many people are not able to do. When I think about not doing it I picture the very morbidly obese people at all-you-can-eat buffets and think that I DESERVE to not look like that or get to be like that.

This summer, I was working 10 hours a day and I found that the following helped:
    1.) Either go after work directly from work. If you stop home and see a comfy couch you're not going to go to the gym. If you go in the morning just sleep in your work out clothes so you can get up and go directly there. When you're done working out you can take a shower, brush your teeth and get ready there. When I did this I went to the YMCA where they always have free coffee and I would just bring a Luna bar (high fiber, high protein, low calorie, organic , delicious and about $1 per bar) and a piece of fruit.
    2.) Reward yourself for when you go by keeping track of it on a calender. I usually try to go 3x per week so that I get a break.
    3.) Have a realistic outlook on what is actually possible and you'll be amazed with what you can do.

And remember... YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)
  • kelley1006
    kelley1006 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. After a 12 hr day im wiped out. I have started taking a one a day multivitamin with a little caffeine in it to help me through the day and i will usually exercise two days when i get off and then just go on my days off. Just keep plugging away at it. 6 lbs is great!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!:flowerforyou:
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sometimes having a workout buddy is great motivator. Another option is of course to just take it in small steps. For instance start exercising on weekends only, create an appt with yourself and get up and do your workout as if it was a job requirement. As a stay at home mom there are days when I'm too tired but I will set an appt in the afternoon and put my clothes on and do everything until it is time to press play. Sometimes it means forcing the excitement until I actually get there...the key is really to just Do it! Eventually you may want to add in a weekday until you are able to workout more and get energized from the workouts.

Start small and don't beat yourself up....go from two days and try to build up to 4-5 days. There are some great dvds for those whom are short on time and they tend to beat you up in 45mins or less:laugh: . Some days I do those and other days I may do 60mins or double workouts.

HTH,
    michelle
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Try eating more protein during the work time. I worked 8 to 16 hour shifts (no consistency) and took care of my mother and children when I got home. I started concentrating on eating more protein and vitamins. I did survive somehow and I'm sure you will too. :happy:

Maybe too... if you just stay within your basic caloric guidelines you can put off the gym for the time being until you body adjusts to your new habit changes. You will lose weight just the same... I am :flowerforyou:
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    That's what she said.

Awesome! That's what I first thought when I saw this topic, it's actually why i read this post! lol
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    it IS hard. You will need to make the gym a part of your daily routine - no compromises. And you don't have to go everyday, you just decided which days are best for you and stick to it. A routine. Routine is key, especially when you are just starting out. It isn't easy at all.

:blushing: I even talk to myself to keep myself motivated when I feel particulary tired. I don't let myself of the hook "just this one time." I know myself; it is a slippery slope. Finally, get plenty of sleep, well, as much as you can - I know it is difficult working 12 hour days.

Also, not turing on the TV really frees up A LOT of time. I haven't have a TV in years. It is amazing, for me, I am more focused on what I need to accomplish every day (including going to the gym), I get more sleep and I have a lot less distractions.

Good luck.
  • skinnygirl22
    Options
    That's what she said.

Awesome! That's what I first thought when I saw this topic, it's actually why i read this post! lol

and even better since i know the poster and we say this every 5 seconds!!
    (sorry T) :)
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour days as well and am trying to find the motivation most days to get to the gym. I work out down at the gym at the hospital I work at, so I keep trying to tell myself it shouldn't be that hard to go downstairs and work out for 1/2 an hour. Once I am in the gym I usually do ok...it's just the walk down there that is hard sometimes!! If you'd like maybe we could help each other stay accountable for working out after our long days at work!
  • tracylp
    Options
    I also work long days and on top of it I have an hour drive each way. My solution has been to go in the morning. Yes, it is early. But....I know this is the only way I'm going to the gym on a work day. This morning I really wanted to sleep in however the thought of me not losing any weight this week and having to post it really motivated me.
    Good luck and you find your rhythm.