A serious question

Options
When riding a bike for the first time in over twenty years...how long is it till your backside stops hurting if riding it every day? :bigsmile:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone and will vary with the type of saddle on the bike and your own shape/size etc. (People often comment on road bike saddles looking like implements of torture but they're surprisingly comfortable)

One suggestion would be to get bike shorts. They have a built in pad (called a chamois) that makes long rides far more enjoyable. If you're not into spandex there are loose fitting versions available too. Your sit bones will definitely thank you for getting a pair (I use tri shorts which have a lighter chamois as you also wear them to swim & run)

Another possibility is one of the gel filled seat pads - inexpensive and available at pretty much any sporting goods store.

Have fun & keep on riding!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    If you are going to ride every day, I can't recommend strongly enough you invest in a pair of really good padded bicycle shorts. You won't believe the difference!
  • GnarlyBro
    GnarlyBro Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you keep up the work, and deal with the pain, it goes away rather fast!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    depends on the seat. lol
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

I think I'll invest in a new seat, the one on my bike is rather hard :laugh:
    It's a silver fox bike?

I should stop being a wimp and get on with it :laugh:
  • KellyJoMorris
    KellyJoMorris Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wear padded shorts but the position of your seat is also important, I moved my saddle backwards (horizontally not tipped) and that made a massive difference. I have a road bike and standard 'blade' saddle! xx
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I was just talking to my dad about this and he had said the more padding the seat has it can actually cause more pain in the long run. He said something about how the seat was meant for your sitting bones, and if the seat is too padded the soft tissue around the sitting bones rubs more than normal. He actually said to go with a less padded seat so your sitting bones rest on the seat, but then get a good pair of padded biking shorts. I'm not even sure if that all made sense, but he rides every day ~30-60 miles a day and 100 miles on Saturdays. I don't think I'm ready for the super thin, no padding seat (just have the standard rode bike seat that came on my Specialized) but I eventually want to get to that point! :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I think I'll invest in a new seat, the one on my bike is rather hard :laugh:
    It's a silver fox bike?

I should stop being a wimp and get on with it :laugh:

Don't. The hard seat is going to be better in the long run. Your backside will get used to your seat quickly. In fact, if you haven't ride in a long time, any seat you used would have left you sore. Buck up; you'll be fine.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I bought padded shorts and they helped for the first few weeks - now I no longer wear them and feel no discomfort at all. I'll give you the same advice that someone gave to me when I complained of a sore bum ..... MAN UP! ;)

By the way, I don't mean that I no longer wear no shorts at all - that's frowned upon when riding past schools apparently. I now wear non-padded shorts!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Ok :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm NOT gonna be a wimp :laugh: