How did YOU overcome weightloss plateau?

Options
Basically I've been on a plateau for almost a month now,
I need some tips of how to break it, I've got a few in mind.
Just getting a lil frustrated now!

So how have you personally overcome a plateau?
x

Replies

• Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Whenever my weightloss slows down/stops I just spend the weekend eating what I want. Then I go back to losing weight at a steady pace ^_^

Good luck
  • deepfuture
    deepfuture Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I exercised more , but only lasted for a few week then leveled off again .. Interested to hear what people say ..
  • BarbaraC47
    BarbaraC47 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was taken out for a meal and had EXACTLY what I wanted, to the tune of 2,000 calories. I upped my exercise for the next few days and BAM!!! lost 2 lbs and have been losing steadily ever since.

I think the body needs a complete change once in a while to keep it working, lol.... not saying eating 2,000 calories is a good idea but it really worked for me
  • Tuten210
    Tuten210 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel... I've been stuck at a 40lb weight loss for about a month now. I think this week will be the week that I break through that. I've really seen my body change this week, it's crazy! But, I've been really cleaning up my diet (slowly) over the past few weeks. Drinking lots of water. Amping up my exercises. Cutting carbs out after 4pm. I think the biggest thing is spicing up your workouts... not sure what you are doing, but if you run...instead of a long run, try to do interval running (run 2 mins (faster than you normally do), walk 1 min) or create a circuit training (that really kicks my butt). Just keep it up and you will get there!
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and burning 500+ calories 3 times a week at the gym, and not eating exercise calories back. I upped my calories to 1500-1600 and took a two week break from the gym. Now when I exercise, I eat around 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories back. I've been losing steadily since. If I have a couple weeks of no loss, I aim for 1500 calories on the dot, try and exercise more or (the most fun one) eat something I haven't been able to eat for months like a takeaway pizza...that seems to get my metabolism going again. Good luck, plateaus are so frustrating, especially when you're trying really hard. :flowerforyou:
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Seems so far the exercise is a main factor to helping..

I've read about the IF, was wondering whether that'd be something I would consider, just seems complicated in a sense, but I'm determined to break this!
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories a little for a week, it will kick start your metabolism. Last time I tried dieting I had the same thing, it was only a couple hundred but it helped.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I added about 200 more calories - I don't "exercise".
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavier weights, doing more circut training and upped the protein by a lot. Totally changed my body.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs and never had a plateau and this is what I did: started at 1200 calories and ate back all exercise calories. After losing 10 lbs, I upped my calories by 100 and increased the intensity of my workouts. I did this till I lost the 30 lbs I wanted and set my settings now to maintenance. So far ( knock on wood) I am maintaining how I want. It seems to be a tricky balance for everyone to figure out what works for them. Best of luck!!
  • batgirlmama
    batgirlmama Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I know this is so freakin frustrating, esp. if you have been doing all the right things. I just got off my plateau after a few week! I was doing pretty well with eating and running at least three times a week. After weeks of this, I went kick boxing with a friend of mine, and it totally worked!

I lost 2.2 pounds in one week. I think the body just needs to get slammed hard with something different for it to realize that weight loss needs to continue.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend decided he wanted to get in shape and start running with me, so that was the end of my slow and steady jogging. He naturally runs at a faster pace than I do, but since I'm the one who's supposed to be in shape, I push myself hard to keep up with him. We run the same distance that I used to (sometimes a little less, actually), but much faster. I think it's the higher intensity that broke my plateau. From having maintained for a couple of months I went to losing just over a pound every week, even though I don't have a lot to lose, so my settings are at 0.5 lb/week.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    First plateau I had I really examined what I was doing and realised that it wasn't a plateau it was me cheating to much.

Second plateau I had I upped my calorie intake
  • Viddybear
    Viddybear Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started eating back more of my exercise calories (more, not all) and added C25K into my routine. I think the added cardio is what helped!
  • rhcp_dragie
    Options
    I'm at a plateau now... I'm drinking more water, eating about 300 calories more (I was eating too few) and doing more intense workouts, which includes interval training.

I'll report back in a week!
  • Help119
    Help119 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are already lean. Im 5'3" and currently weigh 123lbs. Over the last 3 months ive lost 8lbs. 30 mins cardio 4 times a week. I try to follow IF at least 4 days a week. On weekends i eat out and i eat anything i wan.but during weekdays, i stay under 1200 calories.
    Youll get to your goal but progress will be slow. Ive been through weeks og no change on the weighing scale. Use other means for motivation like body measurements and pictures. I can see results even if the scale does not show a weight drop.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Help119 - you are exactly my height and goal weight. I hope by next Spring (or hopefully sooner) I will be there.