protein powder that tastes good?

Options
Help...I'm a vegetarian and am trying everyway i can to get enough protein in. I haven't found a protein powder that tastes ok...even though I put it in shakes..anyone have any recommendations? Thanks........

Replies

• hateras
    hateras Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have tried quite a few different brands but the best tasting is Biggest Loser Chocolate protein powder. You can get it from GNC for about $15 and the serving size is 1 scoop for 50 calories if you mix it with water..

I mix it with milk and add a 1/2 of a frozen banana... even without the banana it taste good and leaves no after taste like some due.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am a vegetarian too, do you use milk products? I use the GNC whey protein, vanilla. Stay away from anything chocolate. :( They all just taste chalky. I just started using the GNC Amp whey and it's ok, but I think that's because it's cookies and cream (my husbands choice...not mine).
    I am actually sitting here drinking a shake now! LOL strawberries, banana, soy milk and vanilla whey. YUM!!
  • ambercole
    ambercole Posts: 426
    Options
    The AMPLIFIED wheybolic extreme is the only one that I can stand. It is at GNC. It is not chalky at all and doesnt have that funky after taste. It tastes just like nesquick when you put it in milk. It's no good in water though but none of them are. I put 1/2 cup milk in a blender with 1 scoop protein powder, 1 banana, and 1 cup ice. That is what I have for lunch everyday.
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I Use EAS chocolate whey protein powder. Wasn't to keen on the taste in the beginning, but now that I'm used to it, I love it.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Oh, some other things I have done to get my protien in is to put a scoop of the vanilla whey in my oatmeal in the morning. Takes a little getting used too but not bad. My other breakfast option is usually a morning star sausage patty on a whole wheat english muffin. Just heat in the microwave and out the door in 2 minutes!
  • sblades
    sblades Posts: 75
    Options
    I really like the Kaizen Chocolate or the U Weight Loss Vanilla.... although I think you have to know someone who is a client of U Weight Loss to get access to theirs... it blends up like a dream, and tastes good even in water.
  • sporters
    Options
    I like 'Naturally Preferred' chocolate flavored. Kroger sells it.
  • kramerse
    kramerse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid artificial sweeteners if at all possible so I had to search pretty hard to find a whey protein to use. Trader Joe's Whey Protein (the chocolate flavor) is really good and there are no artificial sweeteners. I mix 2 scoops of the powder with a cup of skim milk and I really like it. Tastes just like chocolate milk!
    It's only 216 calories for the milk and powder and you get 25 grams of protein!

Also, they have lots of delicious bars at Trader Joe's that you can try to get your extra protein. I'm a big fan of the Balance Cookie Dough or Clif Builder's Bar- Chocolate Mint.
  • efolmer
    Options
    I have used the ProV60 Vanilla Ice Cream flavor and find that to be very good. It's a little costlier, but you get 60 grams of protein for 2 scoops. I make smoothies with it and include low fat strawberry yogurt, sliced banana, and ice. It makes a really good tasting drink and it offers a lot of protein. Also, the zero carb Isopure is pretty good as well, but again, a little more money than some of the other ones.
  • amberdm
    amberdm Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The Amplify brand from GNC is delicious and comes in about 15 flavors, I love the creamy chocolate! I mix it with ice, water and a banana in the blender when I am craving sweets and it is soooo yummy.
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    EAS whey protein vanilla flavor from Sams Club. Low carbs, mixes good with skim milk and the vanilla taste is decent. I agree the chocolate powders tend to have a chalky tast.
  • krl523
    krl523 Posts: 53
    Options
    Body Fortress whey protein super advanced strawberry is great! Also try GNC Soy protein in chocolate. They both taste great and have no aftertaste. I add 2% milk to get my calcium and calories. I only drink it once a day. I just use one scoop and 8 ounces of milk. I use a mixer cup (shake and go)I drink it after workouts! Hope this helps....
  • femalearcher
    Options
    I wasnt aware that Trader Joes had a protein mix...can you tell me the sugar content of it?
    I usually use the ON Gold Standard brand, i like the mochacchino, with fat free milk...i have to say of all the protein powders i have used in the last 20 years, its my fav!! But I love a change up, I am very interested in this Trader Joes brand.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    When I mix vanilla protein powder with orange Gatorade, it tastes like a creamsickle. That's the only way I drink it.
  • holly122677
    Options
    I am alittle different. I use Cytosports Muscle Milk Light RTD Chocolate when I need a pick me up. Its 100 calories and 15 grams of protein in 8.25 oz. In the powder I use the Strawberry and blend it with Silk Light Vanilla...Makes a perfect shake. Good Luck hope this helps.
  • mystiq5304
    Options
    Unjury.com makes the best.
  • rightandleft
    Options
    NSI chocolate whey protein from Vitacost.com tastes great. I make it with 2c water, 1c skim milk and a bananna with 2 scoups of powder.
  • qtie0
    qtie0 Posts: 4
    Options
    ever try hemp hearts ...(lots of protein)... with fruit and yogurt in the morning .. keeps you feeling full til mid afternoon
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I like the biggest loser vanilla powder. I use it in oatmeal and smoothies
  • handsometony
    Options
    hey i get mine from Elite Fitness, its there own brand and does not have all the sickly sweetness that i have found in other powders, give it a try