I can't believe this

Options
Today I was out running around doing some errands. Since I was out I thought I would stop and get something to eat, McDonalds was on the way home so I just picked up something there. I ate almost all of my daily calories in one meal there, I couldn't believe it, I mean I know that it wasn't the best place to eat but I ate over a thousand calories in one meal. I learned my lesson it won't ever happen again.

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    at least you learned from it ...... workout and earn extra calories :bigsmile: .. tomorrow is a new day .....GOOD LUCK TO YOU
  • Keltinator
    Options
    it's so shocking, isn't it? when i end up going out to eat i try to stay away from drinks and desserts, and stick to salads as sides, and the meals still eat up all my calories! i figure the only way to avoid it is to avoid eating out altogther...
    and for mcdonald's, i find it isn't really even filling, you know? i'm hungry again in another two hours!

but i think every once in a while it's ok. it's a good thing you learned from your experience today.
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    The key is knowing. You have to also watch things that you would think would be ok, some salads at fast foods are not as good as you think. Sunday is a new day. ;-)
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    The only thing I will get from there now is the Southwestern Grilled Chicken salad. Awesome and (realitively) guilt free. (If you hold the lime sauce the dressing!)

Good luck...
  • Jlinares
    Options
    When I started my journey last week I stopped at Taco Cabana and ate their Chicken Flameado dinner...thinking i was making a wise choice. Well, let's just say I can add that to the growing list of "DOH!" moments. felt like a loser after that. But as they say - tomorrow is a new day. I learned like you did. Won't happen again.
  • astrosnider
    astrosnider Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to get when I am out and about and get hungry is a double tall skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte from Starbucks. It's very creamy and spicy and has only 90 calories. It is usually satisfying enough to tide me over until I can get home and make something healthy. Starbucks also has some tasty panini offerings these days that have only about 400 calories each.
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    I know how this goes! I had a subway sandwich and it was ALL of my calories! i was shocked! at night before i got to bed i like to plan my meals for the next day and enter them to see how much room i have to snack and whatnot. that way i only have to change the amounts or delete what i didnt eat. it works great! and if i eat something different i just make sure its around the same amount of what i was going to have. its a learning experience. :smile:
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Definitely a learning experience! I went and ate Mexican food twice this week and both times I tried to get something "wise" and both times I couldn't stop my self from eating MORE than that. One place I finished off all the chips and creamy green sauce by myself practically, that they brought me back another basket of chips and sauce..and I kept on at it!

Then also had TACO CABANA another night and got the Fajita bowl, figured I'd be good since it was a salad in a big crispy fried chip bowl, well I ended up eating the entire thing including the bowl! it was over 1200 calories!

So I learned my weakness is Mexican restaurant type places. Must stay away.

I gained 3pounds this week. Live and learn.
  • Jlinares
    Options
    I realized long ago that Mexican food is not calorie friendly! Just look at my parents, all they eat is my moms cooking - which, unless I make something for her - doesn't include an ounce of "healthy"!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you know the worst part of McDonalds isn't the calories, calories you can justify, it's the saturated fat calories and simple carbs that are in it.

I could justify having a 1000 calorie meal if it was full of good fats, complex carbs, and protein.
  • SnakePlissken
    SnakePlissken Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To me the only thing surprising about this thread is that people are "Surprised" that the slop at the fast food places is filled with calories and isn't good for you? WTF do you think helped get you here?

If you punch in McDonalds nutrition info or BK or KFC nutrition info and google it you will get the breakdown right from the parent company and it is thousands of calories.

The first thing you should learn about when trying to eat healthy is that those places should no longer exist to you. You have to drive right by. America is fat because of them, cause once you pull up you'll find the words "Supersize that" coming out of your mouth.

RULE #1: NO FAST FOOD. The only reason you should stop there is in an emergency bathroom colonic revenge against the chain that got you where you are.
    You will have very poor results with your weight if you allow fast food into your plan in ANY WAY! Take the pledge. NO FAST FOOD!
  • mh3939
    mh3939 Posts: 12
    Options
    A good thing to do is make a list of places you like to eat, and find their nutritional information from their websites. Jot this information down, and keep it in your purse. This way you have ideas of what you can eat without going over your daily caloric intake:)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A good thing to do is make a list of places you like to eat, and find their nutritional information from their websites. Jot this information down, and keep it in your purse. This way you have ideas of what you can eat without going over your daily caloric intake:)

Yes! A lot of restaurants now post their nutrition information, and there are websites like this: http://caloriecount.about.com/restaurants-mc1 that list quite a few restaurants together, so you can compare and make better choices.

Last time I went to Red Robin with my daughter I researched the menu beforehand and ended up with the chili, which was bad enough, but at least has some good stuff in it. If I hadn't looked ahead of time I probably would have chosen a salad, for 900 plus calories for most of them.:sick: